They're for scaring the bassoonist down from "fortissimo" to "pianissimo"
Shaping your reed..?

Dave

Gee I must type slow

12-09-2019, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Not to get political, but I think it's ridiculous that you can't have a locker, they're much safer.
Alas, a locker is much more dangerous to the victim in a fight. With a non-locking blade, the assailant can be disarmed by hitting the non-sharp side of the knife to close it on the assailant's fingers. Thus, criminals all want lockers and governments wants to ban them.

It's another case of the 1% of criminals ruining something for the 99% of innocent citizens.
12-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not to get political, but I think it's ridiculous that you can't have a locker, they're much safer. That being said, you're allowed them if you have a valid reason to have it, frankly the chance of being questioned about it are slim and most coppers probably won't give a damn if it's for cutting your block of cheese for lunch. (Now that I'm safely in Canada, I can say that I carried a locking knife around in the UK.) Ironically that's where I bought some a couple (locking) Opinels was in a Decathlon in the UK (I think it was the one in Edinburgh) as they worked out cheaper than getting them over here (on a side note, the I quite like the Decathlon stores). Didn't know you could get non-locking ones either, I'm not fond of using knives with blades that don't lock, as I've had one shut accidentally on my fingers and cut them before now (Well, it may have not been the safest using of a knife at the time but it wouldn't have happened if it was locked open).
Seconded. My Leatherman Wave locks both knife blades as well as the file and the saw. I'd not want it any other way. Plus, the knives can be opened one-handed, which is very handy.
12-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Oboists, like bassoonists have to make adjustments to our reeds which often involves scraping a few offending micrometers off the exterior of the cane reed so it vibrates in a more consistent manner. They are also useful for keeping the conductor in check.
Aha! So I learn something new every day. Thanks!

12-09-2019, 09:15 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Oboists, like bassoonists have to make adjustments to our reeds which often involves scraping a few offending micrometers off the exterior of the cane reed so it vibrates in a more consistent manner. They are also useful for keeping the conductor in check.
For the pipes, we use a razor blade (or suitably sharp knife) to shave the smallest amount off our reeds if we're feeling weak and need them easier.
12-09-2019, 09:15 PM - 3 Likes   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Alas, a locker is much more dangerous to the victim in a fight. With a non-locking blade, the assailant can be disarmed by hitting the non-sharp side of the knife to close it on the assailant's fingers. Thus, criminals all want lockers and governments wants to ban them.

It's another case of the 1% of criminals ruining something for the 99% of innocent citizens.
Or you can disarm assailants with a narwhal tusk

Anyway, not that I can compare to the infinite wisdom of the UK government, but every kitchen knife in your drawer at home is a fixed blade knife. Which reminds of a member of parliament proposing a law that would ensure the points of kitchen knifes would have to be dulled! Bloody ridiculous! Rant over (for now...)
12-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Seconded. My Leatherman Wave locks both knife blades as well as the file and the saw. I'd not want it any other way. Plus, the knives can be opened one-handed, which is very handy.
Yep, not sure if the old Wave had it, but the new-style Wave does, every single tool (except the pliers) locks open, scissors, can opener, screwdrivers, the lot! It's great, except when you lend it to someone and they can't work out how to close it

12-10-2019, 02:05 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, not sure if the old Wave had it, but the new-style Wave does, every single tool (except the pliers) locks open, scissors, can opener, screwdrivers, the lot! It's great, except when you lend it to someone and they can't work out how to close it
Mine's the older model, which did not lock all tools. But, of course, it won't break so I can't upgrade it!
12-10-2019, 07:48 AM - 2 Likes   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Mine's the older model, which did not lock all tools. But, of course, it won't break so I can't upgrade it!
I have to say that I'm not super fond of the interchangeable bits on the new one, but I do really like the locking tools.
The only way to need to upgrade is to lose it, like our friend Mike here seems to do
12-10-2019, 08:08 AM - 2 Likes   #85
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have to say that I'm not super fond of the interchangeable bits on the new one, but I do really like the locking tools.
The only way to need to upgrade is to lose it, like our friend Mike here seems to do
I haven't lost it, Bert... I just don't know where it is
12-10-2019, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #86
Pentaxian

I put a thing (or three) where I can find it easily at a later point, then I'm not be able to find it because I forgot where I put it...
12-10-2019, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #87
Pentaxian

I've had Leatherman multi tools for many years. My first one did not have locking tools/blades. I found it could be unsafe and wanted something that locked. I checked around, found the Victorinix Swiss Tool, which locked, was built like a tank (sturdier than the at the time, Leatherman), albeit heavy. It is my favourite multi tool, which I use regularly.

Before I bought it, I called Leatherman and was able to speak with an company engineer...remember...this was many years ago. I discussed the merits of locking tools/blades and that the Swiss Tool had this feature and was a Leatherman locker coming in the future.

She acknowledged the importance of a locking mechanism and indicated that Leatherman was working on this feature, but at the time did not have it currently in production.

They eventually did introduce a 'locker' Leatherman and although I did buy the Swiss Tool...I have also bought a couple of Leatherman multi tools...with lockers..since then. It is a good product and also I was impressed with my conversation with the company engineer so many years ago...the honest, logical, fact based response.

I judge a company by the 'company' it employs. Also the product design, function and quality.
12-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see one can get an accessory pack with about 12 bits for the interchangeable bit driver. I figured that could be handy but it would be one more thing to carry.
12-10-2019, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #89
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I haven't lost it, Bert... I just don't know where it is
I suffer from that problem from time to time!
Usually solved by sorting out my workbenches.
12-10-2019, 04:56 PM - 3 Likes   #90
Pentaxian