Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 119 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2019, 04:56 PM - 3 Likes   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I haven't lost it, Bert... I just don't know where it is
Sounds like a case of Object Observability Perceptual Scarcity (OOPS).

Blame Heisenberg! He's the one who said you can't simultaneously know the location and momentum of stuff. Ergo, if you don't know the location of the old EDC, you know it must have some momentum somewhere. As soon as it stops moving, you'll find it!

P.S. Don't let Schrödinger's cat find the EDC first. That would be fatal (or not)

12-10-2019, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I lost my main pocket knife recently while camping... it wasn't super nice or anything, but it had been given to me by a friend.

So I bought a replacement... a 9 dollar ebay knife that's actually pretty nice! It's the one on the right, in the picture below.

These are all my knives... the Leatherman Juice is pretty nice - it was given to me years ago. The blue one I bought some 25 years ago and is pretty dull, but I keep it like that to unstrip electrical wires without cutting the wires themselves, just the plastic covering. And the Hunt-Down is the cheapo chinese knife that I'm enjoying a lot. Not bad at all for a beater knife that I can carry everywhere. A little larger than I thought it would be but not too heavy so I'm pretty happy with it.
12-10-2019, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've had Leatherman multi tools for many years. My first one did not have locking tools/blades. I found it could be unsafe and wanted something that locked. I checked around, found the Victorinix Swiss Tool, which locked, was built like a tank (sturdier than the at the time, Leatherman), albeit heavy. It is my favourite multi tool, which I use regularly.

Before I bought it, I called Leatherman and was able to speak with an company engineer...remember...this was many years ago. I discussed the merits of locking tools/blades and that the Swiss Tool had this feature and was a Leatherman locker coming in the future.

She acknowledged the importance of a locking mechanism and indicated that Leatherman was working on this feature, but at the time did not have it currently in production.

They eventually did introduce a 'locker' Leatherman and although I did buy the Swiss Tool...I have also bought a couple of Leatherman multi tools...with lockers..since then. It is a good product and also I was impressed with my conversation with the company engineer so many years ago...the honest, logical, fact based response.

I judge a company by the 'company' it employs. Also the product design, function and quality.
Awesome, for me it was toss up between the Leatherman and the Swisstool, both good tools, but went for the Leatherman due to price and slightly better tool set. Another interesting contender was the SOG pliers, with geared plier heads and the ability to change tools to customise to your needs.

I'm quite happy with the Wave (in case I haven't made it clear ) and I use almost everyday, for various tasks from fixing skid steers to cutting newborn goats umbilical cords.
12-10-2019, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I see one can get an accessory pack with about 12 bits for the interchangeable bit driver. I figured that could be handy but it would be one more thing to carry.
Yep, I've got that, the '21 bit accessory kit', still brand new in it's unopened packet

12-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #95
Veteran Member

I suffer from that problem from time to time!
Usually solved by sorting out my workbenches.
Aye, you never know the treasures you can find
12-10-2019, 05:23 PM - 2 Likes   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Nice, but I've always had a strong dislike for half-serrated/half-plain blades, the plain part of the blade just can't be used very well.
I like the serrated blade on my Leatherman, great for cutting baler twine. Also, my river knife is razor sharp serrated for cutting webbing and rope really really well.
12-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Awesome, for me it was toss up between the Leatherman and the Swisstool, both good tools, but went for the Leatherman due to price and slightly better tool set. Another interesting contender was the SOG pliers, with geared plier heads and the ability to change tools to customise to your needs.

I'm quite happy with the Wave (in case I haven't made it clear ) and I use almost everyday, for various tasks from fixing skid steers to cutting newborn goats umbilical cords.
The Wave is a good product. We bought one for our son, who uses it as a daily carry around.

12-10-2019, 06:07 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, I've got that, the '21 bit accessory kit', still brand new in it's unopened packet
21 bit! Curiouser and curiouser! What sort of bits do they have?
12-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aye, you never know the treasures you can find
Sometimes I discover tools I forgot I had.
12-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #100
Veteran Member

21 bit! Curiouser and curiouser! What sort of bits do they have?
This is the bit kit here:
Replacement Bit Kit | Leatherman

I also have this adaptor here for using regular 1/4" hex bits:
Bit Driver Extender | Leatherman

They both sit unopen in their original packets, oh, the number of things we buy thinking that they'll be useful
12-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #101
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is the bit kit here:
Replacement Bit Kit | Leatherman

I also have this adaptor here for using regular 1/4" hex bits:
Bit Driver Extender | Leatherman

They both sit unopen in their original packets, oh, the number of things we buy thinking that they'll be useful
Not to be funny, but I think the handiest thing there is the "bit driver extender". That seems to me to be the most useful thing if you already have regular bits, and I have many!
12-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Not to be funny, but I think the handiest thing there is the "bit driver extender". That seems to me to be the most useful thing if you already have regular bits, and I have many!
Aye, it's useful alright, I just don't carry around set of bits when I head out the door. Also at home, there's plenty of proper screwdrivers, or just grab a power-drill. Much easier than the Leatherman and adapter.
12-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aye, it's useful alright, I just don't carry around set of bits when I head out the door. Also at home, there's plenty of proper screwdrivers, or just grab a power-drill. Much easier than the Leatherman and adapter.
I suspect you're right. The Wave lives in my pocket. Always. But grabbing a set of bits is not going to work. The extender may make for a good keyfob on my keychain. That way at least, I'd have it handy should I need it. I always have normal hex bits lying around. In the car, in the house, in the shed......
12-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #104
Pentaxian

Nice, but I've always had a strong dislike for half-serrated/half-plain blades, the plain part of the blade just can't be used very well.
Me too, I just picked this up cause it said PENTAX and it was only $5 at a photo swap meet. I use it to open boxes.
12-10-2019, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #105
Pentaxian

Losing an old companion like that is enough to send me into a cleaning and sorting frenzy. Luckily, it seldom happens.

The new knife looks good Mike. My Victorinox Swiss Army knife is now seldom used since I changed to carrying a Leatherman Wave some years ago.

(Not my image)
The original Wave has been my EDC companion in the pass 10+yrs., I am not used to the Swiss Army tools, I need a strong pliers and the Wave seems to be the best choice for usability and portability, and I may upgrade to the Plus, other models with tools for specific purposes like gun cleaning is not useful to me, the Wave can serve most tasks for most people for everyday use.