Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 119 Likes Search this Thread
10-22-2019, 06:45 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Goodbye, old friend... Replacing my EDC pocket knife

It's a sad day indeed...

After more than a week of searching - the pockets of my pants and jackets, bags, drawers, cabinets, every room in my home, the garage, my car - I must officially declare my faithful every-day-carry pocket knife, a Victorinox Spartan, "Missing In Action"

I've had several of this same model over the years and absolutely love them. In fact, I thought I'd had this last one for over 20 years, but going back through old posts suggests that's probably a false memory. This one, it seems, had only been in service for about eight years. Still, it earned its keep; I used and abused it almost daily. It was looking pretty gnarly of late, with the scales badly scratched and the edges of both blades showing signs of misuse. Nothing that couldn't be ground out, mind you. But that's irrelevant now... 'Tis gone for good, I fear

I'm certain I have at least one brand new spare somewhere, and I thought I knew which storage box it was in, but I'll be darned if I can locate it. I must have moved it when sorting through the contents previously. I guess it'll turn up some day. However, whilst searching through the box, I came across another knife that I think was given to me as a gift a few years ago, but I never got around to using it. I've reluctantly decided to press it into service as my new EDC.

Looking online, I've found that it's a "Wenger Swiss Army EvoGrip 14", now discontinued but still available on eBay and from a few smaller retailers for $30+. It has seven folding implements in three layers, plus accessories, with - as the name implies - 14 distinct functions:

Medium drop-point blade
Nail file
Nail cleaner
Lever design serrated-edge scissors
Can opener
Bottle opener
Large flat-blade screwdriver
Wire stripper
Corkscrew
Punch / reamer
Key-ring
Tweezers
Toothpick

As with my old Victorinox, the blade and tools are Swiss surgical steel and the scales are polymer, but they're ergonomically shaped and have slightly textured rubber inserts to aid grip. It's 3.34" (85mm) in length when closed, 0.75" (19mm) thick and weighs 2.6oz (74g).

It's a really nice little pocket knife.

And yet...

I like my knives how I like my women... "Simple". Wait, no... that doesn't work "Easy". Darn it, that's not what I meant either "Straightforward" - yes, that's it I mean to say that I prefer any tool or device to be as straightforward as possible. If it's available with stripes, I don't want them. Flashing LEDs? No thanks. Revolutionary new design? I'd rather not, if that's all the same. I like straightforward things that work in a straightforward way, without any fuss A few years back, my Dad bought me a very nice soldering iron. It works well. It also has three inset LED work lights that are supposed to (and, in fact, do) light up the area you're working on. Without wishing to sound ungrateful, though, I'd rather those lights weren't there. I never needed them in the past, I don't need them now, they look silly, and they're just something else to go wrong, aren't they?

My old Victorinox Spartan was a straightforward tool. Simple in design, with only the most essential and useful implements (including, of course, a corkscrew) in just two layers. Ever so slightly longer, but thinner and lighter, than the Wenger. I could carry it in the back pocket of my jeans without noticing it was there. I loved it.

This Wenger has only one knife blade compared to the Victorinox Spartan's two... A shame, as I found the smaller blade on the Spartan to be especially useful. But the additional tools are welcome. The scissors are excellent - decent in size and very sturdy, with a clever lever spring mechanism instead of the flimsy foil spring I've seen on others. And the nail file is really handy (if a little short), with the pointed end for cleaning nails promising to be rather versatile beyond its intended function. The can opener is way better designed than the Spartan's, with a sharp point to pierce the tin rather than a curved blade. It looks positively vicious.

The thing I really don't like about the Wenger (for now, at least) is the "EvoGrip" scales, which scream form over function. The contours define the way you hold the knife, to some extent. I want to hold my knife however I please, not the way some designer decided for me - although the grip is comfortable enough, I suppose. But the inset rubber grip pads... They work, for sure, yet I can already see they're going to hold dirt with use; and one day, months or even years from now, I assume they'll fall out or peel away fom the red polymer. Lastly, the "WENGER" brand name is present in lightly-raised lettering along the edge of one of the scales. That's going to collect dirt and skin, I'm sure. Overall, I'd have preferred simple, polished, rounded scales like my old Victorinox. Function rather than form. Straightforward.

I see there's a Swiss seller on eBay offering genuine replacement Wenger scales for this knife, and they have the red version - still contoured, but without the rubber insets - for $15 including shipping. I might order a set of those to keep spare, or to swap out sooner if I find myself tiring of the rubber grips.

So... goodbye to my old friend, who served me well... and a cautious welcome to my new Wenger EvoGrip 14...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FZ62  Photo 

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-22-2019 at 08:25 AM.
10-22-2019, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear that - I know what you mean...
I've been using Victorinox Recruit as my EDC for a couple of years now. I have a few other models but this one I like for its compact size - fits well even into small pockets. Enjoy your new purchase!
10-22-2019, 07:25 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry for your loss, Mike, but that's a fine looking replacement.
I've carried the Mechanic for more years than I can remember, and like you, I've used and abused it with no real harm done.
At least to the knife.

10-22-2019, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I have a few favourite knives or multi tools. The one I carry daily, is a very small multi tool, a Leatherman Micra. It has scissors, a small blade, a small screwdriver, a two sided file and a something else. I can't recall. I've had mine for about 25-30 years, they are no longer made and I carry it in a well worn, small case in my pocket. I use it almost daily.

We got one for our son a number of years ago too.

If I have to go somewhere and do a bit of work, then it's my Victorinix Swiss Tool. Heavy, but the best multi tool I've ever used. Extremely well built, very capable.

10-22-2019, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can empathize. I've had my Leatherman Micra seemingly forever, and I would be loath to replace it with something different.
10-22-2019, 11:31 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is not practical to carry but it is "straightforward" and my favorite:

I remember it was impossibly cheap at the time, like $12. A cheesy plastic sheath was included. The blade is laminated - hard and somewhat brittle, backed up by softer steel on either side. It can get very sharp and keep that edge for a long time. The wood is ordinary birch. I think it's a full tang. There's a whole Swedish backstory to the style (sloyd) which I don't know that well. I just like it.
10-22-2019, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I can empathize. I've had my Leatherman Micra seemingly forever, and I would be loath to replace it with something different.
Unfortunately the old style from what I understand is not made any longer. I looked at a few small, pocket multi tools at Cabelas...Gerber, Leatherman, etc...but I don't like the newer designs, don't seem to have the features I want...as my old Leatherman Micra. I hope I don't lose it.

In addition to the Micra, I carry a Fisher Space pen in my pocket. Small, unobtrusive, designed with rounded ends that don't wear away pocket linings. I also carry a small, aluminum comb, made by Crabtree + Evelyn of London. With these three practical items I can conquer the world...or at least be prepared for most eventualities in everyday life.

10-22-2019, 01:56 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Losing an old companion like that is enough to send me into a cleaning and sorting frenzy. Luckily, it seldom happens.

The new knife looks good Mike. My Victorinox Swiss Army knife is now seldom used since I changed to carrying a Leatherman Wave some years ago.

(Not my image)
10-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Losing an old companion like that is enough to send me into a cleaning and sorting frenzy. Luckily, it seldom happens.

The new knife looks good Mike. My Victorinox Swiss Army knife is now seldom used since I changed to carrying a Leatherman Wave some years ago.

(Not my image)
I have one of those (Wave), carry it in the car...always there if I need to do some fast repair or something else. Handy, also like the locking tools, which my original Leatherman of many, many years ago, didn't have...which could be a safety hazard if a knife blade popped back. But with 'lockers' this new Leatherman is a very competent and safe tool to have easily accessible. I really like it. We picked up another Wave for our son and he carries it around for work and everyday living.
10-22-2019, 02:42 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used my Swiss Army Mechanic a few minutes ago. Mrs Bob needed a new under counter light in the laundry area.
My SAM's awl/reamer got the holes started for the screws, and its Phillips screwdriver finished the job.
10-22-2019, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My condolences at your loss. I don't have an EDC, though I have strong affection for the one that lives in the back pocket of my pack. I purchased my Victorianox Adventurer in the late 1970s and I would not venture into the backcountry without it. By Swiss Army Knife standards it is painfully plain and simple, but I would not have it any other way. Features?
  • 8 cm stainless locking blade
  • Combo can opener, small slotted screwdriver
  • Combo larger slotted screwdriver (lockable), bottle opener
  • Phillips screwdriver (sort of hokey...works as a T-handle)
  • Toothpick (rolls eyes)
  • Tweezers (yes, they work)
The item at the top is what makes the knife. I have used it to safely split out pieces of dry kindling from the underside of downed cedar and fir logs in a forest totally soaked by days of hard rain, craft emergency tent stakes, make "fuzz sticks", and prepare all sorts of camp dinners where cutting was needed and a larger blade was required. Might I add that the blade is still wicked sharp, even after more than 40 years of use?

I might add that the unlike the same tool on many jacknifes, the can opener actually works and works well as does the locking screwdriver (no chance of it folding when applying pressure.)

Steve
10-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have one of those (Wave), carry it in the car...always there if I need to do some fast repair or something else. Handy, also like the locking tools, which my original Leatherman of many, many years ago, didn't have...which could be a safety hazard if a knife blade popped back. But with 'lockers' this new Leatherman is a very competent and safe tool to have easily accessible. I really like it. We picked up another Wave for our son and he carries it around for work and everyday living.
The locking tools are great. Never a chance of folding the knife onto your fingers. I also like the Wave in that you can open several tools using one hand (flick of the thumb) only.
10-22-2019, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
since I changed to carrying a Leatherman Wave some years ago.
I should probably get myself a Leatherman at some point. They are a local company and it is always good to buy local, right?

Steve
10-22-2019, 03:27 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I should probably get myself a Leatherman at some point. They are a local company and it is always good to buy local, right?

Steve
If I wanted to buy local, I'd have to buy sheep, cows and milk. And pine tree logs.
10-22-2019, 03:47 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Condolences on the AWOL EDC!

A red Victorinox Swiss Champ has been my EDC for some 20 years now. Yes, it's bulky, but every bit of it has come in handy with enough frequency that I can't bear the thought of a simpler EDC. The magnifying glass and ball point pen have been especially good to have.

I did almost lose it once when I found it was in my pocket whilst traveling to the airport. With only carry-on luggage, I knew security would confiscate the beast. So I buried the EDC in a planter at the bus station on the way and dug it up on the way home.