Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2019, 03:23 PM   #46
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
?If you don’t work for the manufacturer, you don’t get the spare parts anymore these days. Talk to wach makers. Very simple concept, works great for manufacturers.
I am aware that some manufacturers restrict access to spare part, and I've wondered about the legality of such a practice. Given all the anti-trust legislation that already exists, etc, I can't imagine this would pass scrutiny.

11-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
It is a Royal Oak homage, and the build quality is astounding for $100
Nice! Thanks for posting.
11-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote
I really appreciate their craftsmanship, but I can't stand the ticking of mechanical watches.
You won't like my grandmother's clock!

As for the watches - I have a few that you can hear tick, but the better quality ones tick so softly you struggle to hear them. This Chinese ome is very quiet, so all good!
11-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I am aware that some manufacturers restrict access to spare part, and I've wondered about the legality of such a practice. Given all the anti-trust legislation that already exists, etc, I can't imagine this would pass scrutiny.
Breville appliances are tough to deal with. They simply won't sell parts to anyone that's not an "authorised dealer". Took me almost 3 months to get a new steam wand for the espresso machine, and I had to buy from an "authorised dealer" who ordered from Breville and the part had to come from Australia.

Apparently, Breville do not believe in using fossil fuels. Subsequently, they only ship to New Zealand when the wind direction and tides are just right and they can send off a sailing ship, or a bunch of guys in a dingy or tied to a pigeon or something. And it takes more than 2 months to get a part, which, for most other businesses, using airplanes and courier companies means that your part can leave Sydney on Monday and be delivered by Wednesday morning.

11-03-2019, 04:55 PM   #50
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
For those who dislike the sounds of watches ticking, spend a few weeks working where I do, without earplugs. You'll go deaf, and then the ticking won't annoy you.

Just sayin'.

As an aside, when I catch coworkers not wearing earplugs or earmuffs, I kid them that they are trying to get to the point where they can't hear their wives yelling at them.
12-04-2019, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

Back when I worked on the flight line I was going through watches like nobody's business, so I used to pick up a cheap digital kids watch from a petrol station when I needed a new one. When I moved into the office I suddenly found they lasted longer than a few weeks but still kept to the cheap ones. Over the years I've been happy with digital but around 2010 I was coming home from holiday with some foreign cash left over and bought a semi-decent watch with hands (but still a battery}. Saying that I've always had an interest in mechanical watches, the skill of the watchmaker is something to admire.

A couple of months ago I had the chance to pick up a new watch, and after looking through the options I went for a self winding watch from Rotary. It's a beauty, I've already had it on the macro table but I don't have the images to hand at the moment.
12-09-2019, 11:20 AM - 3 Likes   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a watch for every day of the week!

...and here it is. Purchased in mid-1989, so now more than 30 years old.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
12-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I have a watch for every day of the week!

...and here it is. Purchased in mid-1989, so now more than 30 years old.
Very nice. Due for a service if you have not done so yet.
12-09-2019, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s been serviced twice so far, another one due in a year or two.
12-10-2019, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

I've always thought a mechanical watch would be neat, however I'd be worried of destroying it

Do you think it could hold up to the type of abuse my regular watch takes...?

Got it for $10 years and years ago, and beat it up, gone swimming with it, etc, etc, it still works fine.
12-10-2019, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I've always thought a mechanical watch would be neat, however I'd be worried of destroying it

Do you think it could hold up to the type of abuse my regular watch takes...?

Got it for $10 years and years ago, and beat it up, gone swimming with it, etc, etc, it still works fine.
Get yourself an Invicta Prodiver. Seiko movement, you can dive with it, and it takes a beating. It's my heavy work duty watch and still going strong.

amazon.com: Invicta Men&?tag=pentaxforums-20's 8926OB Pro Diver Stainless Steel Automatic Watch with Link Bracelet: Invicta: Watches
12-13-2019, 09:46 PM - 2 Likes   #57
Veteran Member

Found the images I took of mine, it's getting close up like this that lets you appreciate the work that goes into it
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-16-2019, 01:14 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
Maybe the accuracy will degrade much faster over time and that's where the quality will start to show??? I dunno. Only time will tell (pun intended lol)

---------- Post added 10-23-19 at 04:45 PM ----------

Well thanks, now I want a sun-dial watch haha!

A sun dial watch? What about all the Southpaws in the world? What do they do? Just kidding of course.

TT

---------- Post added 12-16-19 at 01:17 AM ----------

Rotary is a very high quality timepiece. Out of the U.K., however I understand that a lot of their work is being done in Switzerland these days. They do hire a lot of Italian artisans for their skills and

devotion to maintaining a very high quality standard. A very nice photograph and thanks for posting.

TT