Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only do mechanical watches - first one that's not Swiss.

So, my wife thought I could use a modern watch.
Month, day date, 12hr and 24hr clock, clear back, automatic & wind-up, stainless case and strap, sapphire crystal.

My first Chinese made watch. I'm impressed. It keeps perfect time.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-J610G  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-J610G  Photo 
10-23-2019, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Cool! I have a mechanical collection myself. I've been impressed with some of the Chinese stuff too honestly. For the price they are quite good
10-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
Cool! I have a mechanical collection myself. I've been impressed with some of the Chinese stuff too honestly. For the price they are quite good
I'm really surprised as to how they manage to make something that's this good, and sell it (and presumably make a profit) for only US$100. So far, it's accurate to within a second a day.
10-23-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

yeah....I have one that keeps amazing time. Think I got it for $75. It may be the most accurate mechanical watch I own out of a dozen or so. Crazy

10-23-2019, 04:44 PM - 5 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
So, my wife thought I could use a modern watch.
I would think so!

Very nice looking new watch, Mark!
10-23-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Maybe the accuracy will degrade much faster over time and that's where the quality will start to show??? I dunno. Only time will tell (pun intended lol)

---------- Post added 10-23-19 at 04:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I would think so!

Well thanks, now I want a sun-dial watch haha!
10-23-2019, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I would think so!

Thanks Bob!

10-23-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
yeah....I have one that keeps amazing time. Think I got it for $75. It may be the most accurate mechanical watch I own out of a dozen or so. Crazy
I have an old 1960's GSW. Rough looking watch, water damage to dial, and yet it keeps perfect time. Sometimes it's really surprising which ones keep good time.

Maybe the accuracy will degrade much faster over time and that's where the quality will start to show??? I dunno. Only time will tell (pun intended lol)[COLOR="Silver"]
I'll have my watchmaker friend give it a look over. Biggest problem with mechanical watches is too much oil or too little oil. By the accuracy of this one, I'd say it's looking pretty good. What surprised me too is the quality of the case. I thought it would be much rougher for that sort of money, and, frankly, it's perfect. The pictures online looked very good, and I thought - yeah right - Photoshop! But, the actual article is an exact match of the promotional material.
10-23-2019, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I have a mechanical watch that my wife gave to me as an engagement gift. That was almost 37 years ago and aside from one cleaning and a new crystal, which were both done at the same time about 14 years ago..it has run like a Swiss watch, which incidentally it is. I love it, will only part with it, when I shrug off this mortal coil...and then it will go to our son.
10-23-2019, 05:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have a mechanical watch that my wife gave to me as an engagement gift. That was almost 37 years ago and aside from one cleaning and a new crystal, which were both done at the same time about 14 years ago..it has run like a Swiss watch, which incidentally it is. I love it, will only part with it, when I shrug off this mortal coil...and then it will go to our son.
An important consideration is winding: If you're not using it, don't wind it. A watch that's not been serviced regularly will wear it's pivots if it runs 'dry'. Regular use is good, but only if there's the right amount of oil in the pivots.
10-23-2019, 06:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

An important consideration is winding: If you're not using it, don't wind it. A watch that's not been serviced regularly will wear it's pivots if it runs 'dry'. Regular use is good, but only if there's the right amount of oil in the pivots.
It winds itself by my movement.
10-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It winds itself by my movement.
Yes, I know. What I'm saying is, if you're not using it, don't wind it, especially if it's not been serviced for a long time.
10-23-2019, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Yes, I know. What I'm saying is, if you're not using it, don't wind it, especially if it's not been serviced for a long time.
Good to know. I have found with my experience with this watch that it seems to work at it's best when worn daily.
10-23-2019, 07:59 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good to know. I have found with my experience with this watch that it seems to work at it's best when worn daily.
Most do work best when worn daily. But here's the thing: Inside, you have the gear spindles, which are called pivots. The pivots run in bushes or jewels. (The jewels are little pot shaped bushes) Lubrication is by means of very light (and expensive) oil. With time, the oil dries out and the pivots start to run dry. So, imagine if you will, the pivots getting drier and drier and as they get drier, the little bit of oil left over starts to work like grinding paste. The pivots themselves wear thinner (and usually oval) and the jewels or bushes will wear as well.

So, what happens then is that the watch will start to keep time less well and a regular cheap service and oil job now becomes an expensive re-pivoting / re-jeweling / re-bushing job. So, if it's your daily wear watch, don't run it until it dies. Have it serviced every few years instead.
10-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Interesting, how much does a servicing usually cost? (never serviced any of mine) but than I've only been a collector for a handful of years