Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Ebay Tax Policy - I'm buying my gear here in future

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Each week I buy and sell many items on Ebay. Have for years.

Tonight I sold a $135 piece of camera gear to a California buyer. When I went to sent him the invoice, to my surprise I saw that Ebay had added 7.75% California state sales tax! That had never happened before with any sale I'd ever made to any state. I tried to remove the sales tax and I found that it could not be done.

Just another reason to sell and buy gear here on the Pentax Forums.

10-24-2019, 06:05 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Each week I buy and sell many items on Ebay. Have for years.

Tonight I sold a $135 piece of camera gear to a California buyer. When I went to sent him the invoice, to my surprise I saw that Ebay had added 7.75% California state sales tax! That had never happened before with any sale I'd ever made to any state. I tried to remove the sales tax and I found that it could not be done.

Just another reason to sell and buy gear here on the Pentax Forums.
New state tax laws on internet purchases taking effect in many states in Oct and November. Ebay just complying with the law in this case....
10-24-2019, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I'm bummed about it too It's been slowly taking effect over lots of e-retailers, and eBay was one of the last for me that didn't charge sales tax. Just got to factor it in now when I buy things, just like everything else I guess. Though I wish it didn't apply to used items, it's not like a retailer selling their grandfathers old spotmatic, that's just like a garage sale in my mind. But I don't understand the laws/reasoning very well, just comply to them
10-24-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't totally understand it. That is, why sales tax is applied to sales of used goods between private parties.

10-25-2019, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
Yeah, I'm bummed about it too It's been slowly taking effect over lots of e-retailers, and eBay was one of the last for me that didn't charge sales tax. Just got to factor it in now when I buy things, just like everything else I guess. Though I wish it didn't apply to used items, it's not like a retailer selling their grandfathers old spotmatic, that's just like a garage sale in my mind. But I don't understand the laws/reasoning very well, just comply to them
some ebay sellers are not like the folks selling occasionally at a garage sale

they sell so much they are a business

any way, some one has to pay the tax and EBAY isn't going to so guess who does
10-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ebay is simply collecting and remitting the tax that people were legally obligated to pay anyway. There is no new tax, just fewer tax cheats.
10-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Ebay is simply collecting and remitting the tax that people were legally obligated to pay anyway. There is no new tax, just fewer tax cheats.
There is actually a bunch of new tax. Many states becoming looser about the definition of whether a sale requires it or not.

10-25-2019, 11:18 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
There is actually a bunch of new tax. Many states becoming looser about the definition of whether a sale requires it or not.
Not really. States used to be prohibited from forcing out of state vendors from collecting and remitting sales tax due to US Supreme Court decisions in 1992 in Quill v. North Dakota and 1967 in National Bellas Hess. If a vendor did not collect and remit the tax, the purchaser was still legally required to pay the state an equivalent "use" tax.

That changed in 2018 with the USSC decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair which ruled that states can mandate that businesses without a physical presence in a state with more than 200 transactions or $100,000 in-state sales collect and remit sales taxes on transactions in the state.

The result is simply a way to collect what's been due all along.
10-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It would have been nice for ebay to notify users exactly how they were going to implement the sales tax.

A couple of weeks ago a made an ebay purchase that was several hundred dollars. Shortly after I got a message from paypal warning of potential unauthorized charges in the amount of $36, to which I responded "1" (an automated system) as I did not make a purchase for $36. a week later the seller contacts me, saying the payment has been disputed. Long story short, the $36 was actually the ebay sales tax. I never got any notification regarding the $600+ but the whole thing was reversed. And of course no way to respond or call either Paypal or eBay to clarify, just had to wait it out until the robots fixed it. I felt bad for the seller having to wait for the funds when the item was already delivered.
10-25-2019, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

well there was this announcement by Ebay on October 1

New Internet Sales Tax changes that impact you - The eBay Community

not sure when this was issued ( and it is directed to sellers )

Tax Information