Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2019, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Scanning the Goodwill Auctions...

I enjoy looking through the Goodwill auction site, not only for decent deals on lenses, etc., but for the curious and odd bits of photography arcana that show up there.

For instance: the Quickshot X3000 - Quickshot X3000 Camera - shopgoodwill.com

This was a "toy camera," by "Roniflex," that apparently will take photos. See, e.g., The Cheap Camera with the Expensive Name – Quickshot X3000 and Camera: Quickshot X3000 · Lomography. More info here: robnunnphoto.com - Posts / Home - Roniflex Plastic Toy 35mm Film Camera Video*Review

A more serious camera, the Nikon S2 Rangefinger - Vintage Nikon S2 Rangefinder 35mm Film Camera - shopgoodwill.com.

Apparently, this was a very popular Nikon camera of the 1950s - Photoethnography.com - Classic Cameras - hence, bringing higher prices even in a dented / warped and etched condition.

And then, of course, closer to the Quickshot end of things is the "Panoramic" camera, with flash: Panoramic Camera w/Flash - shopgoodwill.com, and its cousins, the B&G, the Meikei, and the Mikona - Lot Of 3 Assorted Film Cameras - shopgoodwill.com

On the Meikei, see here: Meikai 4353 SSN ? Plastic Piece of Crap? · Lomography

Enjoy!

10-30-2019, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I looked at some lenses on ebay where goodwill is selling them. They were not tested but thought to be good. A real risk with a possible reward. I am tired of gambling on things on ebay, but I guess you can get some good deals if you want to risk it
10-30-2019, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was excited to see this and then nope... blocked by my company's filter. The reason? "Auctions". Same reason it blocks eBay.
11-01-2019, 07:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThomSirveaux Quote
I was excited to see this and then nope... blocked by my company's filter. The reason? "Auctions". Same reason it blocks eBay.
At least they are not blocking the forums. My experience with the Goodwill auctions is the photos are usually not good enough to risk betting much money. However, they seem to attract enough bidders that the price can be up there with a known good copy.

11-01-2019, 07:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
At least they are not blocking the forums. My experience with the Goodwill auctions is the photos are usually not good enough to risk betting much money. However, they seem to attract enough bidders that the price can be up there with a known good copy.
True, true. My work filter blocks the weirdest stuff, though. Can't go to comedy websites because "Humor". Not even kidding.
11-01-2019, 08:06 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThomSirveaux Quote
My work filter blocks the weirdest stuff, though.
I know what you mean. I love it when it says the reason is because the website I'm trying to access is 'unclassified'.
11-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
I've run across a few Goodwill auctions on ebay (noticeable from the benefits charity marker) but never knew they held auctions directly from their site.

11-17-2019, 01:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Agree with reduno that the price for untested items often ends up being similar to items on EBay which are at least listed as working and come with some recourse for the buyer should the item not work. Shipping if often a bit hefty too. There are deals to be had still but mainly on less desirable items where no one else bids. Still fun to look and throw a few lowball bids here and there. Sometimes you get lucky.
11-17-2019, 08:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Agree with reduno that the price for untested items often ends up being similar to items on EBay which are at least listed as working and come with some recourse for the buyer should the item not work. Shipping if often a bit hefty too. There are deals to be had still but mainly on less desirable items where no one else bids. Still fun to look and throw a few lowball bids here and there. Sometimes you get lucky.
I got this one recently: Vivitar 1:6.3 Telephoto f=500mm Lens - shopgoodwill.com for $40, with shipping. It's in good shape, and came with a hood, a metal cap, and a gigantic case. One of those things I've been wanting to use for experimenting with astrophotography.
11-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

spend way too much time & money on goodwill.....have gotten a few duds for sure but also some really good deals......and sometimes the price says get from ebay instead....

will say do have film running through a couple bodies i have gotten....yashica lynx-5000, and pentax zx-L.....and several waiting to receive a roll