Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyone watching the World Series?

What are your thoughts on the Trea Turner call?

10-30-2019, 11:07 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A terrible call. But nothing like the game 5 umpiring. That umpire missed call in almost every at bat, and I'm judging not by where the strike zone was supposed to be, but on his own consistency. His strike zone seemed to be totally random. He declared people "stuck out" who were never thrown a strike, and he walked people who were only thrown strikes. I've seen some really poorly umpired games... but this world series crew has redefined "incompetent."
At least Angel Hernandez isn't there this year. Who can forget his 3 overturned calls in single game performance?

Basicly, I am really tired of officials making the games about themselves. It's about the players.

Last edited by normhead; 10-30-2019 at 11:30 AM.
10-30-2019, 11:16 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A terrible call. But nothing like the game 5 umpiring. That umpire missed call in almost every at bat, and I'm judging not by where the strike zone was supposed to be, but on his own consistency. His strike zone seemed to be totally random. He declared people "stuck out" who were never thrown a strike, and he walked people who were only thrown strikes. I've seen some really poorly umpired games... but this world series crew has redefined "incompetent."
At least Angel Hernandez isn't there this year. Who can forget his 3 overturned calls in single game performance?
It's hilarious because we're finally seeing accurate stats on called balls/strikes, thanks to modern technology. And, as it turns out, umpires kinda suck.

I mean, they really suck, but it's usually not intentional. Angel Hernandez and Joe West can just go sit on a rusty spike. But, there's a lot of nuance in how the umpires set up behind the catcher, where they're looking, what their opinion of the grass is, if they're super gassy so they need to "move around" by calling more strikes, if the moon is waxing or waning, Is mercury in retrograde in relation to the rising Mars, etc, etc.

The greatest argument for Robo-umps will always be real umpires.
10-30-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThomSirveaux Quote
It's hilarious because we're finally seeing accurate stats on called balls/strikes, thanks to modern technology. And, as it turns out, umpires kinda suck.

I mean, they really suck, but it's usually not intentional. Angel Hernandez and Joe West can just go sit on a rusty spike. But, there's a lot of nuance in how the umpires set up behind the catcher, where they're looking, what their opinion of the grass is, if they're super gassy so they need to "move around" by calling more strikes, if the moon is waxing or waning, Is mercury in retrograde in relation to the rising Mars, etc, etc.

The greatest argument for Robo-umps will always be real umpires.
'

I watched a youtube video of Kerry Woods 23 strike out game. That umpires strike zone was so wide the question is, why weren't all 27 outs strike outs? I thought I was going to see great pitching. Instead, I saw really bad umpiring. Verlander's no hitter against the Jays this year was something totally different. If you watched that game, he earned his no-hitter. It's sad when you have sports degenerating to the point where you don't know if it was the players or umpires who in the end determined the outcome of the game.

Many conferences in football now review every play. They just have look to see if they need to look further. Baseball should be doing the same at the professional level. If it's close, if the call was questionable, it should be automatically reviewed. Human umpires should not be asked to perform beyond the limits of human capability. And honestly, a lot of the calls these days are beyond human capability. It's not the actual umpire's fault. It's that they are doing a job they don't have the physical capacity to do well. At least not in an era of endless video angles and slo-mo replays. They need to know their limits, and it's baseball's job to bring umpiring practices up to date.

I'm not an Astro's fan or a Washington fan,. I just want to see good baseball. Bad umpiring ruins the enjoyment of the game.

10-30-2019, 12:19 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
'

I watched a youtube video of Kerry Woods 23 strike out game. That umpires strike zone was so wide the question is, why weren't all 27 outs strike outs? I thought I was going to see great pitching. Instead, I saw really bad umpiring. Verlander's no hitter against the Jays this year was something totally different. If you watched that game, he earned his no-hitter. It's sad when you have sports degenerating to the point where you don't know if it was the players or umpires who in the end determined the outcome of the game.

Many conferences in football now review every play. They just have look to see if they need to look further. Baseball should be doing the same at the professional level. If it's close, if the call was questionable, it should be automatically reviewed. Human umpires should not be asked to perform beyond the limits of human capability. And honestly, a lot of the calls these days are beyond human capability. It's not the actual umpire's fault. It's that they are doing a job they don't have the physical capacity to do well. At least not in an era of endless video angles and slo-mo replays. They need to know their limits, and it's baseball's job to bring umpiring practices up to date.

I'm not an Astro's fan or a Washington fan,. I just want to see good baseball. Bad umpiring ruins the enjoyment of the game.
I'm absolutely right there with you (though I am rooting against the Astros). Bad officiating ruins every sport, be it baseball, football, or hockey.

My one qualm about the "replay" rules is that the "tie" no longer goes to the runner. Because we have slow-motion cameras watching the plays, even though the runner was less than a milisecond behind, it'll be an out, rather than a "Yeah, he met the definition of 'tie', in that, the ball vs foot interaction is <3 or 4 frames apart" or something.

Since we can now almost pin-point when the ball gets into the glove and when the foot hits the bag, it does kinda make me want to go back to just eyeballing calls like that.
10-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The call was total BS, and it took 4.5 minutes to review? WTH!
I, and I'm sure other Cardinals fans watching, were reminded of Denkinger's bad call in game 6 of the Cards vs Royals 1985 WS.

Last edited by robtcorl; 10-30-2019 at 12:53 PM.
10-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #7
PDL
Pentaxian

I only watch once in a great while. I follow the games on my phone.
The main reason I do not watch them on TV is that Fox Sports has the background sound level turned up so high that in order to hear the talking heads (which is a gigantic waste of time in itself) you have to increase the volume. It is very distracting and annoying. It gets to the point where it is best to mute the broadcast. But then it's Fox where the banter is meaningless, the interruptions are extensive and the commentators are biased to the extreme.

I just look for the end results. Fox is the problem, not the series.

10-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I only watch once in a great while. I follow the games on my phone.
The main reason I do not watch them on TV is that Fox Sports has the background sound level turned up so high that in order to hear the talking heads (which is a gigantic waste of time in itself) you have to increase the volume. It is very distracting and annoying. It gets to the point where it is best to mute the broadcast. But then it's Fox where the banter is meaningless, the interruptions are extensive and the commentators are biased to the extreme.

I just look for the end results. Fox is the problem, not the series.
Absolutely agree with you on that point... that and Joe Buck is the Homerest of Homers, with absolutely no qualms about showing his bias.
10-30-2019, 08:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Syracuse has all kinds of connections to the Nationals. The Syracuse Chiefs (now Mets) were the Nationals AAA affiliate for a decade. And Patrick Corbin is from North Syracuse...
10-31-2019, 07:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I haven't watched any. I've been busy and I don't really follow either team. That said, congratulations to the Nationals. I'm happy to see them win it all. After many years of struggles going back to the days of the Montreal Expos, It's great to see them as series champions and they really showed a lot of heart in winning it on the road.

I'm sure someone who knows baseball stats will chime in. Has there ever been a World Series before where neither team won a home game?
10-31-2019, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I haven't watched any. I've been busy and I don't really follow either team. That said, congratulations to the Nationals. I'm happy to see them win it all. After many years of struggles going back to the days of the Montreal Expos, It's great to see them as series champions and they really showed a lot of heart in winning it on the road.

I'm sure someone who knows baseball stats will chime in. Has there ever been a World Series before where neither team won a home game?
There's never even been a series where there were 6 home loses.
10-31-2019, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's never even been a series where there were 6 home loses.
And I doubt there will ever be another with 7 home loses. There's only been 40 series that went 7 out of 114 played.
10-31-2019, 09:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There's only been 40 series that went 7 out of 114 played.
Cards and Rangers are one of the 40, Cards winning game 7 here in 2011.
Like the Nats, the Cardinals got in the playoffs as a wild card.
10-31-2019, 10:20 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And I doubt there will ever be another with 7 home loses. There's only been 40 series that went 7 out of 114 played.
Someone mentioned that if "Take me out to the Ballgame" was literal, all 6 (now 7) games of the WS were a shame.

Since my team wasn't playing, that was a given, lol
10-31-2019, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #15

We play cricket in this country along with the Australians. Also England beat New Zealand at rugby in Yokohama. It's like winning the world cup.