Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2019, 12:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

videogames

perhaps the search is broken, or perhaps the term 'video' and 'game' shouldn't be used in camera forums as all cameras do video, and every feature is a potential 'game changer'....

we photographers really need to better our vocabulary :P

in any case, who here is a gamer? what have you played? what are you playing currently?

your top 5, or 10?
games you absolutely HATED?
what consoles have you played through?

my top 10 in a VERY particular order are:
1 - metal gear solid 3 - snake eater
2 - Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time TIED with Telltale series - The Walking dead
3 - Shadows of the Colossus
4 - God of War series (May enjoy the non official parts more?)
5 - Kingdom Hearts 1
6 - Uncharted 4
7 - Metal Gear Solid 1 (ps1)
8 - Batman Arkham series (may have enjoyed the 2nd part the most?)
9 - Final Fantasy X
10 - LA Noir
11 - Sleeping Dogs

currently i'm playing The Witcher 3. not sure how i'll like it. Just started it. If open world games are any indication, I may get bored of it quickly. Not sure yet. Just 4 hours in so far, so lets see how that goes

10-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm old-skool. I play NES on my phone. I've been on a Kid Icaurus binge lately. Same with Super Mario Bros. & The Legend of Zelda. I also have a NES Classic at the house.

Top 10 games of all time for me (in no particular order):
  • The Legend of Zelda (NES)
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)
  • Final Fantasy VII (PSX)
  • Super Mario Bros. (NES)
  • Bonk's Adventure (TG16)
  • Kid Icaurus (NES)
  • Super Mario World (SNES)
  • Xenogears (PSX)
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
  • Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
I could list a ton of other games, but it would be a massive list. I'm mainly a Nintendo guy, but outside of Nintendo consoles, I also played on the original PlayStation & the TurboGrafx-16 (PC Engine) quite a lot. I'm a very big retro gamer.

But yeah, what happened to my arcades? What happened to Dance Dance Revolution, Street Fighter II, & all that Jazz? I need to move to Japan.
10-30-2019, 01:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I'm old-skool. I play NES on my phone. I've been on a Kid Icaurus binge lately. Same with Super Mario Bros. & The Legend of Zelda. I also have a NES Classic at the house.

Top 10 games of all time for me (in no particular order):
  • The Legend of Zelda (NES)
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)
  • Final Fantasy VII (PSX)
  • Super Mario Bros. (NES)
  • Bonk's Adventure (TG16)
  • Kid Icaurus (NES)
  • Super Mario World (SNES)
  • Xenogears (PSX)
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
  • Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
I could list a ton of other games, but it would be a massive list. I'm mainly a Nintendo guy, but outside of Nintendo consoles, I also played on the original PlayStation & the TurboGrafx-16 (PC Engine) quite a lot. I'm a very big retro gamer.

But yeah, what happened to my arcades? What happened to Dance Dance Revolution, Street Fighter II, & all that Jazz?
I was sadly too poor for arcades. Only went to em if i found random quarters around.
otherwise gaming at home
10-30-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started with Tetris on the Game Boy, got a SNES, then a Playstation, then a Dreamcast, after that I only ever played on a PC.

I loved the Spyro series on PS, but liked other Jump n Run style games like Crash Bandicoot. Enjoyed some hours playing racing games on all platforms, most notable perhaps Trackmania on PC, Colin McRae Rally and the first Gran Turismo on PS and Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast. Fifa, Tekken 3 on PS. Street Fighter II (Turbo) and Yoshi's Island and Mario Kart on the SNES. C&C and CS 1.6 on the PC.

Lately I've been clocking in more than 2,000 hours in Rocket League, combining my passions for racing games and soccer, being the best soccer game there ever was.

I've yet to play through The Witcher 3, and I will have to do that before Cyberpunk 2077 comes out, which I eagerly await.

10-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Game consoles peaked with the release of the Intellivision and it's been all downhill since...1 whole kilobyte of RAM vs 128 bytes in the Atari 2600!
10-30-2019, 02:35 PM   #6

Playing everyday (PS4)
And waiting for The Last of us Part II (which is delayed ... again)
10-30-2019, 04:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Haven't had time for many video games in the past 10 years or so. When I do, I'm still working my way through the Art of War games which I've played since the beginning. I still remember finding Shogun for $5 in a bargain bin at the Radio Shack almost 20 years ago, it was an exciting day.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Game consoles peaked with the release of the Intellivision and it's been all downhill since...1 whole kilobyte of RAM vs 128 bytes in the Atari 2600!
We had a Gemini, an Atari 2600 compatible. Graphics peaked with the game "Adventure", those dragons were the definitive realization of ancients beasts on your basement TV.
10-31-2019, 08:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ben.p Quote
Playing everyday (PS4)
And waiting for The Last of us Part II (which is delayed ... again)
i wont be surprised if The Last of Us II and Ghost of Tsushima will be the LAST released on the PS4, and also available on PS5 as the first releases.

Both games constantly keep getting pushed back (for good reason too).

for what its worth, and maybe its me and i did something wrong, but the last of us kind irked me.
I enjoy exploring random corners for things. Behind a bookshelf, around a corner, under a table, etc. The last of us was the first game that wasted my time in randomly seaching for those things. For example, uncharted, you would find ammo or guns or whatever randomly lying around.

I get it. It is more realistic. It is post apocalyptic. Random treasure or stuff are NOT going to be lying around for me...but still i felt that i could have saved several hours not searching in vain.

10-31-2019, 09:01 AM   #9

I played several years ago, but I didn't feel the same.
And I really loved the story
10-31-2019, 10:01 AM   #10
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tough to figure the 10 best, but I can narrow it down to ones I will still boot up and play even now.
Starcraft- Original and all of the new ones, so 5 games all in one title.
Call of Duty 1

Call of Duty Modern Warfare, the original MW.
Alpha Centauri- and the Alien Crossfire expansion
Command and Conquer: Red Alert and expansions
Psychonauts: amazing story and creative design.
Freelancer and the user created mods
X-Com and X-Com: terror from the deep, Honorable mention to the Xenonauts remake of the franchise. Truer to the original than the New X-Com series. (Also good though!)
Half Life, original, mods, and Half Life 2

Counterstrike in all its incarnations since it started the 1st person shooter as a sport/group activity for me.
10-31-2019, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do have a personal bone to pick with any sport game. Be it soccer (football), or NFL football, hockey, basketball, wrestling etc.
each year they release a new version with better graphics, but the game mechanics stay the same...

maybe because i'm not a sports guy, i dont get it.

though, if you are in a video game store, those are also the ones found the easiest in the used section.
11-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #12
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I never had a console growing up. I bought myself a N64 in college mostly for GoldenEye. (For those that love GoldenEye, check out GoldenEye Source, a game mod developed using the HalfLife 2 Source engine. I haven't looked in on it in several years, but they pretty much completely recreated the game for the PC with beautiful graphics.) I did however grow up with computers my whole life. We had the Commodore VIC-20 before I was born and it was a blast. GORF and Pong were great. My brother got a Commodore-64 when he graduated. (I still have it in storage at my parents as I inherited it from him. The VIC-20 I got rid of several years ago as I had replaced an internal fuse with a paperclip to keep it running back in my teenage years, but after sitting in the attic, all the cords had been chewed up.) We played a lot of games on that, and would get a magazine that would have code in the back to be able to get games for free. Also modified some games to change the sprites or text and other such things. When my sister graduated, she got a 386 and my mom got a 486 the next year which is when I really started gaming.

So, in no particular order, some of my favorite video games:
Age of Empires II (Amazed when I found it on Steam with new expansions that had been released for it in like 2014. Game was already almost 20 years old but still getting love.)

GoldenEye
The Elder Scrolls: Chapter 1 - The Arena (Plus all the subsequent Elder Scrolls Games.)
Command & Conquer
Arkanoid

Pinball Arcade (I love pinball, but that's not a video game. So I can sneak it in by including virtual pinball, which plays pretty darn close to the actual tables.)
Tekken (The entire series. Part of why I modded my original PS2 was to be able to play a burned copy of Tekken 1 & 2 that I had found online until I was able to eventually find real copies.)
Kingdom Hearts (The reason I bought my first PS2.)

So many, many more.