Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2019, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An Interesting Review

from the Washington Post

QuoteQuote:
A new photography book meditates on what it means to be male and American in the Midwest

By Kenneth Dickerman
Photo Editor
October 30

. . . .Gregory Halpern was born in Buffalo in 1977. When he was a teenager, he became enthralled by a book of photos called “Triptychs” by Milton Rogovin, a Buffalo native who didn’t pick up photography until he was in his 50s. Since then, Halpern has had a particular fascination with photo books. He’s widely known for the artist’s books he has created with his photography throughout his career.

His new book, “Omaha Sketchbook,” was originally released as a spiral-bound artist’s book made up of laser prints by J&L Books, a publisher founded by photographer Jason Fulford and artist Leanne Shapton. That version of the book is no longer widely available. Now reissued by MACK Books, it’s again available to a wider audience. And it’s a unique book for several reasons.

The first thing that strikes you is that the book looks as though it’s made of construction paper. The photos are printed very small. This is intended to be a facsimile of the way Halpern originally approached the work. As he was working on the project, he would print the contact sheets and then paste them into a sketchbook made of construction paper he found in Omaha. . . .
https://www.washingtonpost.com/photography/2019/10/30/new-photography-book-m...rican-midwest/

11-09-2019, 10:44 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
very interesting read and great photos too - thanks for posting
11-10-2019, 06:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the tip. Very interesting photos, reminds me of Joel Meyerowitz's Cape Cod photo series.

Last edited by robgski; 11-10-2019 at 06:36 AM.
11-11-2019, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #4

appreciate the quoted text to get around the paywall.

11-11-2019, 03:43 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nguyenlm Quote
appreciate the quoted text to get around the paywall.
nice comment

some members have complained that I should only list the link when I post things or start a thread

not any additional material

I'm glad that the extended quotation was helpful to you
11-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
nice comment

some members have complained that I should only list the link

not any additional material

glad my quote was helpful to you
well coming from someone who comes across WP links alot, it's nice to get more context than the link.
Kind of a pandoras box situation.
11-12-2019, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Reading the comments section on the article drove me mad - as most comment sections often do. Many of the judgements are based upon the works displayed in the article - not on the entire work which for copyright reasons alone, they couldn't use all of the images that were published.

Masculinity has changed over the years, as has the concept of femininity. In many qualities they intersect, and on others remain distinctly different. Those qualities have shifted and changed vastly over the past five hundred years.