Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 268 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2020, 10:34 PM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I usually watch the highlights of the tourDU,I suppose the drone footage will show some of the devastation.

I collect my water off the roof but have it diverted away from the tanks.I want all the ash ect washed away.

Getting rain on burnt ground isn't ideal so the experts have been saying.Apparently the earth seals and the water doesn't absorb...takes a period to become absorbing.Mind you,there's lots of unburnt bush that will take the moisture in.

01-18-2020, 01:30 AM - 1 Like   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Getting rain on burnt ground isn't ideal so the experts have been saying.Apparently the earth seals and the water doesn't absorb...takes a period to become absorbing.Mind you,there's lots of unburnt bush that will take the moisture in.
I read an interesting, well interesting to me anyway, article that said that intense bushfires can convert Chromium 3 in the soil into Chromium 6. Chromium 6, or Hexavalent Chromium as it is also known, is a carcinogen if inhaled or ingested. I spend a significant percentage of my time trying to sort out the issue of hexavalent chromium which has been used a a corrosion prevention coating since they gave up using lead paint, and now they tell us its in the ground
01-18-2020, 06:52 AM - 3 Likes   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Noel
It wasm't too far from Kingscote I think.
Emu Bay is on the north side of island ?

Dave
Yes Dave it is.... not far from Kingscote.

Some Roo love from tonight.
01-19-2020, 03:29 AM - 2 Likes   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rain has been falling and brought relief to many areas where the fires raged, though too much rainfall after such widespread fires can still do damage to the environment by washing away topsoil.

Disasters like this have plenty of knock-on effects that will be felt for years to come.

01-19-2020, 12:25 PM   #170
Veteran Member

Rain overnight which is awesome, hopefully it hits KI to help put out their fires.
We were onthe top of a snow covered volcano last week in NZ, the snow was filthy, the workers said it's from the smoke clouds that have come over from Australia, I also read that the South island is covered too. Amazing that it can travel sooo far.
Everyone we spoke to was concerned about Australia and asking about the fires
01-19-2020, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #171
Pentaxian

smoke has no boundaries.

QuoteOriginally posted by Grippy Quote
Rain overnight which is awesome, hopefully it hits KI to help put out their fires.
We were onthe top of a snow covered volcano last week in NZ, the snow was filthy, the workers said it's from the smoke clouds that have come over from Australia, I also read that the South island is covered too. Amazing that it can travel sooo far.
Everyone we spoke to was concerned about Australia and asking about the fires
its been reported in CHILE too.
01-21-2020, 06:16 PM   #172
Pentaxian

Daily Telegraph Bushfire Summary

First newspaper I've bought in how knows long but I wanted to read the report.

Horrendous awe-inspiring photos and grim stastitics .

It's 24 pages with the inferno raging and the aftermath.

I just hope we don't see anymore,the recent rain has eased: the intensity.

Now for the latest figures

29 human liveses lost,along with an estimated one billion wildlife lives.

3004 homes destroyed

9.7 m hectares (24,250,000 acres) burnt

Let's all hope it's finished and our government's act to minimise any future catastrophes like this.

Last edited by surfar; 01-21-2020 at 06:23 PM.
01-21-2020, 06:28 PM   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
First newspaper I've bought in how knows long but I wanted to read the report.

Horrendous awe-inspiring photos and grim stastitics .

It's 24 pages with the inferno raging and the aftermath.

I just hope we don't see anymore,the rencent rain has eased: the intensity.

Now for the latest figures

29 human liveses lost,along with an estimated one billion wildlife lives.

3004 homes destroyed

9.7 m hectares (24,250,000 acres) burnt

Let's all hope it's finished and our government's act to minimise any future catastrophes like this.

Naaah, let's have a Royal Commission so we can work out what the previous 57 bushfire inquiries since 1939 have already told us, and we can kick the can down the road for another year.

That's what you get when you've got a marketing guru in charge.

I was surprised to read a story on the ABC yesterday that despite the koala devastation on Kangaroo Island they won't reintroduce any more because they are an introduced species and are considered to be a pest. Digitalis is right that the effects of this catastrophe will be felt for years to come.
01-21-2020, 06:30 PM   #174
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
We can only hope Surfar ..only hope

They have a habit of finding something else to do instead.

Dave
01-21-2020, 07:16 PM   #175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
Naaah, let's have a Royal Commission so we can work out what the previous 57 bushfire inquiries since 1939 have already told us, and we can kick the can down the road for another year.

That's what you get when you've got a marketing guru in charge.

I was surprised to read a story on the ABC yesterday that despite the koala devastation on Kangaroo Island they won't reintroduce any more because they are an introduced species and are considered to be a pest. Digitalis is right that the effects of this catastrophe will be felt for years to come.

The Kangaroo Island Koala's are special, because they are the only population in Australia that are chlamydia free, Introducing Koalas from the Mainland would threaten that status on the Island.

\it's just good to know that the people on the ground there are doing an amazing job at caring for the population that is left, so they can recover .
01-21-2020, 07:23 PM   #176
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
The Kangaroo Island Koala's are special, because they are the only population in Australia that are chlamydia free, Introducing Koalas from the Mainland would threaten that status on the Island.

\it's just good to know that the people on the ground there are doing an amazing job at caring for the population that is left, so they can recover .
Link for those who are interested:

Repopulation of pest koalas on Kangaroo Island a no-go after bushfires - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Agreed on the people who are doing what they can to help our wildlife whether in Vic, NSW or SA.
01-22-2020, 01:11 AM   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote

I believe they were introduced there a while back, they did do pretty well on the island.
01-22-2020, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #178
Veteran Member

FWIW... my mates property.... near the south coast road turn off to Seal Bay has a few Koalas.... so there is a bit of natural habitat around still....

Attachment gives some background to the Koalas origin

Attached Images
File Type: pdf cons-gen-kikoalamanagement-1.pdf (82.0 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-22-2020 at 02:37 AM.
01-23-2020, 01:03 AM - 2 Likes   #179
Closed Account

Condolences to the families and friends of the 3 American firefighters who lost their lives today protecting/defending our country.
01-23-2020, 02:07 AM   #180
Veteran Member

It will be interesting in a purely professional capacity to see the crash report on that one, the type of sortie rate these bombers fly will eat into maintenance requirements but the push is always to fly the sortie and sometimes things get missed or periods for servicing get stretched out.

No consolation for the families, but the crew flew these flights because they saw the need and knew the risks