Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 268 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2019, 03:37 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Weighing in to balance things out a bit from the other third of the country.

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
Aw come on, I've seen plenty of maps of Tassie over the years.

Glenn
Nice double entendre

11-11-2019, 03:39 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I've been reading about the many wildfires down there, hope things improve soon and everyone stays safe.
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
about the fires going on down there:
Most of the fires are in the northern part of NSW, 2.5 million acres have been burnt and our head honcho politician has declared a state of emergency from today.QLD to the north has 60 individual fires we have 80.Unfortunately,3 dead and over 150 homes lost.

Tomorrow is predicted strong winds starting from north then west,followed by a South change.Velocity gusting up to 50mph,so an extremely dangerous task for the wonderfully brave volunteer firefighters.

These fires have dominated our news and social media,I'm ready to evacuate.All my gear is packed,surfboards ready to be loaded,Ive had to do it before so know the drill.Constant looks at the phone app keep us up to date.

---------- Post added 11-11-19 at 09:43 PM ----------

Fires Near Me

I live in the middle of the action, schools are closed and small endangered communities evacuated.Some villages closeby have been devastated,almost wiped out.

Last edited by surfar; 11-11-2019 at 03:47 AM.
11-11-2019, 03:56 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Most of the fires are in the northern part of NSW, 2.5 million acres have been burnt and our head honcho politician has declared a state of emergency from today.QLD to the north has 60 individual fires we have 80.Unfortunately,3 dead and over 150 homes lost.

Tomorrow is predicted strong winds starting from north then west,followed by a South change.Velocity gusting up to 50mph,so an extremely dangerous task for the wonderfully brave volunteer firefighters.

These fires have dominated our news and social media,I'm ready to evacuate.All my gear is packed,surfboards ready to be loaded,Ive had to do it before so know the drill.Constant looks at the phone app keep us up to date.

Fires Near Me

I live in the middle of the action, schools are closed and small endangered communities evacuated.Some villages closeby have been devastated,almost wiped out.
Wishing you all the best.
11-11-2019, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #34
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Too good a chance to pass up!
I was waiting for you!

An ANZAC thread would be better.

I don't suppose there would be two countries anywhere in the world which are as close (as populations anyway - we can discount our pollies). Now you have sent some firefighters to help us. They will be greatly appreciated where they are needed. Thankfully, we are still well out of it where we are.

11-11-2019, 03:56 AM   #35
dbs
Pentaxian

Be safe Surfar and all near and far.
Our time is close too..how close ? who knows...but

Dave
11-11-2019, 04:05 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Dave
I see portLincoln is under threat over the bay,where you are its not a problem.Plenty of wine to put it out with!

---------- Post added 11-11-19 at 10:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
Wishing you all the best.
The communities band together and help enormously, trying to make the displaced as comfy as possible.

I has a close call this month back in 2016,flames got to within 8 feet of my timber house.Totally in awe of these people who risk their lives to help save complete strangers properties.
11-11-2019, 04:31 AM   #37
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

Fires Near Me

Hi Surfar

The packing of surfboards would seem odd to those overseas...but...as so often happens after a bushfire there are floods in or near the affected areas.

Its natures way of a 'spring' clean.

Dave

11-11-2019, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I was waiting for you!

An ANZAC thread would be better.

I don't suppose there would be two countries anywhere in the world which are as close (as populations anyway - we can discount our pollies). Now you have sent some firefighters to help us. They will be greatly appreciated where they are needed. Thankfully, we are still well out of it where we are.
Yes, sorry to hear about the fires. Let's hope everyone stays safe.
11-11-2019, 12:53 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
Aw come on, I've seen plenty of maps of Tassie over the years.

Glenn
Careful...
11-13-2019, 06:10 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roaming Quote
In Bialla, half way between Kimbe & Rabual, good luck finding it on a map. Previously Port Moresby & Lae
Managed to find it thanks to the interwebs. Looks like it should be a nice change of pace after Port Moresby and Lae. I've done some work in Port Moresby and Western Province but haven't managed to get to New Britain yet.
11-19-2019, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Heads Up on the fires.

Well,it seems the worst days have passed.

The 4 deaths are the biggest loss.However,as of yesterday 421 homes destroyed in NSW with a further 150 damaged.Add to that the destroyed or damaged outbuildings that total around 1150.

Plenty of the original 99 fires are controlled or out, BUT while any fire remains theres always danger.

I hope whatever is happening in the other states doesn't end up as severe as what has happened here.

RuralFireService have responded brilliantly to the vastness of the catastrophe.

A HUGE thanks to the help from interstate and the Kiwis that came to help.
11-21-2019, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Firefighters have done a remarkable job, no doubt about it.

Knowing Australian weather patterns there will probably be some big storm systems that will blow through in the next two weeks. Lightning strikes will undoubtedly spark more fires, the tricky thing with lightning strikes is the fires don't start up immediately trees sometimes smoulder for days after a strike. All it takes is one ember to float on the breeze and encounter something flammable.
11-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The Firefighters have done a remarkable job, no doubt about it.

Knowing Australian weather patterns there will probably be some big storm systems that will blow through in the next two weeks. Lightning strikes will undoubtedly spark more fires, the tricky thing with lightning strikes is the fires don't start up immediately trees sometimes smoulder for days after a strike. All it takes is one ember to float on the breeze and encounter something flammable.
Your right, Weather channel saying thunderstorms and rain for NSW.
It was crazy here in Adelaide yesterday morning hey, such thick smoke, could barely see to the end of my street, which is only a few houses, haha.
11-21-2019, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #44
dbs
Pentaxian

Morning Grippy
Up with the sparrows
Its been smoky up our way too.
Floods next week somewhere in the country.....its just the time of year.

Dave
11-21-2019, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Toni Doherty, Hero...

(might be a little tough to watch)