Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 268 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2020, 10:05 PM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When you think of all the possible longer term consequences of these fires, it seems like the really bad stuff is only just starting. On so many levels it's a disaster like we've never faced before.

01-07-2020, 10:32 PM - 2 Likes   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Even though a big area has burnt,there is lots that hasn't and that's a worry.

The looters and scammers should be transported,send em to England and return the favour of the first fleet!

In these dire circumstances it's only a few that would stoop that low,they are not worthy to live in this country.

They should get a maximum sentence for whatever breech of the law that get caught for.
01-07-2020, 11:11 PM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
On so many levels it's a disaster like we've never faced before.
I disagree, yes the scale in terms of are burnt is greater than recorded bushfires, but the country has recovered bushfires before. If the intensity of the fire has raised the heat to a point that the ground is sterilised then recovery will take longer.

However, the recovery will come about, Australia has been doing it for years.
01-07-2020, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

In these dire circumstances it's only a few that would stoop that low,they are not worthy to live in this country.

They should get a maximum sentence for whatever breech of the law that get caught for.
Or leave them alone with some of the victims for 10 minutes

---------- Post added 01-08-2020 at 02:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I disagree, yes the scale in terms of are burnt is greater than recorded bushfires, but the country has recovered bushfires before. If the intensity of the fire has raised the heat to a point that the ground is sterilised then recovery will take longer.

However, the recovery will come about, Australia has been doing it for years.
I was thinking of the devastation on wildlife (some species may be gone forever) as well as the potential economic consequences (think food shortages, job losses from businesses in some of these towns that will never re-open etc etc) and the effects it will have on communities, effects on water that someone mentioned further back etc etc. It's not just the immediate effect on the areas that have been burnt.

So yes, I do think this will turn out to be one of the greatest disasters we have ever faced as a nation.

01-07-2020, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leave them alone with some of the victims for 10 minutes
I like the way you think Carlb, though I'd say 5 minutes should just about do it.
01-07-2020, 11:55 PM - 2 Likes   #141
Pentaxian

Well ya can't burn them at the stake,there's a fire Ban on!
01-08-2020, 12:28 AM - 2 Likes   #142
Veteran Member

Well ya can't burn them at the stake,there's a fire Ban on!
Shoot them on site, quick and easy.
Anything else is too good for the scum

01-08-2020, 12:46 AM   #143
Pentaxian

Death toll at 26 now,please RAIN.

Broome and Darwin are coping cyclones,sometimes those depressions cross our Island,let's hope somewhere with fires get some of that rain.
01-08-2020, 01:15 AM - 2 Likes   #144
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although not strictly political, inciting violent vigilantism is not really in the Pentax Forums spirit.

Let's all just settle down a little, eh?
01-08-2020, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Death toll at 26 now
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Let's all just settle down a little, eh?
Exactly, I think we can all agree that the death toll is 26 too many.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-08-2020 at 02:09 AM.
01-08-2020, 04:02 AM   #146
Veteran Member

So yes, I do think this will turn out to be one of the greatest disasters we have ever faced as a nation.
Well it's not all doom and gloom ?Heartening? photos show bush regrowth on Central Coast after fires
01-08-2020, 04:20 AM   #147
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
We need rain but not too much to erode whats left.
We had a ' small ' bushfire after harvest ( where the farmers burn the stubble ) , the trees 1 yr on are sprouting at the base and some up the whole tree ( I'll post some photos ). The trees have / are discarding the burnt bark and now the hew growth is bursting.

Dave
01-08-2020, 02:31 PM   #148
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where are the juvenile arsonists getting lighters and matches? And where are the parents? Even though the numbers are much smaller than certain figures tweeted out, the actual numbers are disturbing enough!
Police contradict claims spread online exaggerating arson's role in Australian bushfires | Australia news | The Guardian
01-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Where are the juvenile arsonists getting lighters and matches? And where are the parents? Even though the numbers are much smaller than certain figures tweeted out,
Arsonists are few and far between thankfully. The major problem is the fact that they are repeat offenders. A bit of a compulsive behavior.
01-08-2020, 05:59 PM   #150
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Its too hot to go out so I found some shots I took in October after the fire

Sorry for the double up on pic one just a bit impataint I guess