Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ive been waiting for news of the friend of a friend,who I may have surfed with back in the good old days.

Last week,when John asked me if I knew him I said I didn't recognise the name.Due to age I don't remember him.

RIP Laurie

Much admired South Coast longboarder Laurie Andrew dies during the Australian bushfires ? ?a stylish surfer, a great bloke?

01-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #152
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Ive been waiting for news of the friend of a friend,who I may have surfed with back in the good old days.

Last week,when John asked me if I knew him I said I didn't recognise the name.Due to age I don't remember him.

RIP Laurie

Much admired South Coast longboarder Laurie Andrew dies during the Australian bushfires ? ?a stylish surfer, a great bloke?
Sorry to Hear Man, It's hard enough to know people have lost their life, but, harder when you know the person personally.

cmohr
01-08-2020, 09:40 PM - 5 Likes   #153
Veteran Member

I returned yesterday from a 4 day night shift on Kangaroo Island..... and the most striking thing for me was how Australian the people I was surrounded by were. All there to just help as best they can. So, there is hope.
01-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #154
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good onya Noel

being asthmatic I'd be a hinderence more than help

Dave

01-09-2020, 12:34 AM - 2 Likes   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to see the Navy taking beer into Mallacoota, some things are essential
01-09-2020, 01:06 AM   #156
Pentaxian

Latest news is reporting 1877 homes lost in NSW,and over 2300 Australia wide.Tasmania,that remote colony to the South has lost 2!
01-10-2020, 01:51 AM   #157
dbs
Pentaxian

Still 2 too many

We;ve had some rain but did it get to K.I.. and to the Eastern states ?

Dave

01-16-2020, 06:34 AM - 5 Likes   #158
Veteran Member

An aussie shot I guess....

Down Seal Bay way on KI at a friends place. Peter built a house in a paddock 10 years ago.... the kooky is a regular... 31 on KP. Only a lightish 1/2mm drizzle here today.

And from last weeks visit.... spent some time around Snug, Stokes and a bit north of Parndana.

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-16-2020 at 06:44 AM.
01-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #159
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Noel

Are the fires out now
Did your friends place survive.?
Going by the CFS map the whole island was on fire

Dave
01-16-2020, 04:27 PM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Noel

Are the fires out now
Did your friends place survive.?
Going by the CFS map the whole island was on fire

Dave
Hi Dave,

lots of spots are still "burning out"...... but may take quite a few weeks to finally burn themselves out to no longer be a threat on the odd day when winds and conditions combine to cause difficulty. Always a problem with wilderness type country in close proximity to more developed land. My mates place is on the seal bay road and whilst his house is in a reasonable size clearing (once a paddock)...... it abutts the park.... and he has a lot of natural scub land that incorporates Lake Ada (near Murrays Laggon)..... so far it has remained unburnt.
01-16-2020, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #161
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Noel

So still wait and act

I was on K I in 2015 with the camera club, is Murrays Lagoon this.?

Dave
01-17-2020, 05:57 AM   #162
Veteran Member

Hi Noel

So still wait and act

I was on K I in 2015 with the camera club, is Murrays Lagoon this.?

Dave
I think that is Emu Bay way...... Murray Lagoon is Seal Bay way.
01-17-2020, 08:56 AM   #163
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Noel
It wasm't too far from Kingscote I think.
Emu Bay is on the north side of island ?

Dave
01-17-2020, 07:02 PM   #164
Pentaxian

Still 2 too many

We;ve had some rain but did it get to K.I.. and to the Eastern states ?

Dave
We have RAIN!

Some places have had 4/5/6 inches so far....my gauge broke so my new one(an old wheelbarrow)has filled up over last few days.

When it clears I will check my dams.

The fire guys say it probably won't extuinguish all fires but could put the smaller ones out.

Plenty of TV footage showing gushing creeks and formerly dry dams that have filled.

Be nice to say the drought has broken but it's a bit early for that.
01-17-2020, 08:35 PM   #165
Veteran Member

It's great you have rain Surfar, SA is still waiting for some precipitation. It's amazing how the rain now causes flooding, and when it rain on the burnt bits it will wash away the ash and debris leading to clogged drains.

I drove up through Cudlee Creek and Lobethal this morning, and was reminded of how so many factors affect the impact of bushfires. There was one section where the fields and pastures were burnt, then a completely burnt out house with the shells of cars round it, then green trees and a house buried in greenery and completely untouched before some more green trees and the burnt out shell of a shed and we're back to burnt pasture. Lobethal and Woodside are all decorated for the Tour Down Under which starts next week I think, but you don't have to look far for the effects of the fire to be seen