dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A bit behind but at least it has started

09-03-2020, 04:03 AM   #272
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazing.

South Australia and Northern Territories ahead (on this), by 30years!

At least Perth has come onto the bandwagon.

Perth has a special place in my heart.
3years there, a very wonderful 3years.

And, ha, my time in Australia, brought me into that quaint game of cricket!

Before Australia, i didnt know much about cricket (not that i know much, now, because i do not).

I thought cricket was just that quaint weird game masquerading as a sport.

But when i started catching some of the games on tv when i was in Perth .... OMG ....
I was glued to the tv all day!!

I found that i actually enjoyed watching the game, very much.
Found that it is a "thinking game".
And it was this "thinking game" aspect that i enjoyed it so much.

During my time there, love watching them players such as Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne, Tom Moody, Gilchrist, and of course, Tendulkar, Waqar Younis, Sourav Ganguly etc.

Last edited by termy; 09-03-2020 at 04:10 AM.
09-03-2020, 04:23 AM   #273
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When I was very young, here in Qld, we would get 5c a bottle, later 10c, a good part of most of our school holidays at the beach were spent finding bottles to cash in and buy lollies. Bottles were always softdrink glass bottles, there were no plastic bottles,. Our scout group would have bottle drives, were all the dad's would collect their beer bottles, and they would get money from the brewery, because it was cheaper to reuse bottles than make more. I can remember buying a bottle of coke or later when older a beer, and the bottle would be scratched and the painted on label worn. All cans back then were steel, no aluminium. Later as plastic bottles came along, no refund, it went away with the introduction of the throw away plastic, but cans, now being aluminium, could be collected, and you could get 17c per kilogram.

I think the reintroduction of the refund in Qld, is more about carbon points than actual responsibility. Regardless of that, it's a good thing to reduce landfill, which it really does. As would, using reusable bottles and filter water instead of buying a 30pack of water bottles to drink.
09-03-2020, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #274
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Why don't people take water from home ( like in the good old days ) instead of buying it at hugely inflated prices. Does'nt make sense to me.

09-03-2020, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #275
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Why don't people take water from home ( like in the good old days ) instead of buying it at hugely inflated prices. Does'nt make sense to me.
It never ceases to amaze me how much people grumble about the cost of petrol (at say $1.40 a litre) but will happily cough up the equivalent of approx $3 a litre for bottled water, when they can get perfectly good stuff (mostly) for free from the tap. I'm taking a stab at the water price because I haven't bought bottled water in a long, long time.
09-03-2020, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #276
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
It never ceases to amaze me how much people grumble about the cost of petrol (at say $1.40 a litre) but will happily cough up the equivalent of approx $3 a litre for bottled water, when they can get perfectly good stuff (mostly) for free from the tap. I'm taking a stab at the water price because I haven't bought bottled water in a long, long time.
"A fool and his money is soon parted" is the appropriate saying. We take water from home in stainless steel thermos flasks.
09-03-2020, 04:49 PM - 2 Likes   #277
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
"A fool and his money is soon parted" is the appropriate saying. We take water from home in stainless steel thermos flasks.
I've got a nice REYKA Vodka bottle sitting on my work desk as my water bottle. Boss walked in one day and saw me drinking from it, stared for a second, then I think the penny dropped. He did look worried for a bit.

09-04-2020, 03:28 AM   #278
Veteran Member

I've got four big wheelie bins in the garden, one for general waste, one for recycling, one for green waste and one I bought myself for the cans and bottles I get cash back on. Every time I have a cash back container it goes in there, and when it gets full I empty it out, bag it up and nip down the nearest Scout recyclers and get cahs back.

Depending on the ratio I can get three or four hundred containers in the bin, obviously cans are smaller than the larger fizzy pop bottles (I get more back for my beer cans that the wife's tonic water bottles for the same volume of space) but on general I will come away with thirty odd bucks.

Back when there was some form of financial crisis I saw a wonderful article where someone had worked out how much $1000 would earn if you put in into your superannuation account, and how much you would get back if you spent the same money on beer and recycled the cans. Beer won, and you would have more fun drinking it than checking on your super.....
09-04-2020, 04:57 AM   #279
Pentaxian

I generally, only drink beer from cups.
Super, in Australia is only 9.4%, unlike our pollies, who since 2006, get15.4%. One rule, for......... Well.....?.
09-25-2020, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #280
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

nothing related to photography or pentax.
But i just got to let this off (its been with me for the past 20 plus years).

As shared before, i spent three years in Perth (1996 to 1998).

One of many things that still somewhere in my mind, were the series of incidents termed "the claremont murders" (that they likely took place in the suburb of Claremont was another factor, because i was staying in Nedlands, which was near to Claremont, relatively).

I remember it very clearly because when i first arrived in Perth (that was in early Feb 1996), i cannot forget the many "Missing posters" that were all over the place, requesting for information / clues on the missing Sarah Spiers (whose body, till now, never been found).

These were followed by the disappearance of Jane Rimmer and Ciara Glennon.

I may have left Perth for a long time by now, but i do keep up with local news (of WA and Victoria) on and off.

I am VERY happy that the bloody !%#?!%#× (best not elaborated) finally been caught and will be facing whatever penalties that will be dished out (truth be told, if WA still has the death penalty, this chap will definitely be getting it).

Gratitude to the WA Police, who toiled on for more than two decades, and finally nabbed that ....

And karma indeed, that a piece of crucial evidence, was from the bloody !%#?!%#×'s DNA, found on the fingernails of Miss Glennon (who must have fought so hard).

Can only hope the body of Miss Spiers could be found, eventually.

May they all RIP.

Claremont serial killings - Wikipedia.

Claremont killer victim Ciara Glennon's father speaks of graveside promise to his daughter to seek justice - ABC News
09-25-2020, 04:48 PM   #281
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
the bloody !%#?!%#×'s DNA,
DNA is solving plenty of cold cases.

Earlier this month,the &^*())*^%%$ who murdered a friend from 40+ years ago was sentenced to life.Unfortunately, he escaped conviction of said friends murder.They got him for the other ones and the bombings.

The %^&((*&^% is 72 and got away with it for a long time and will die behind bars.Mind you both these #$^**^%$# will get fed, clothed and whatnot at the expense of the taxpayer.Surely there should be a faster solution to these extreme cases?
10-16-2020, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quarantine
That new not so great rite of passage (sic) in Australia, now into day 4 of 14 in Brizzie
Came down from PNG after 310 days away.

During that period my nearly new Pentax K1 has been in BNE doing sfa.
Family has delivered it and other goodies to my room and i am reacquainting myself after going cold turkey
So far
Pentax K1 book by Yvon Bourque
You Tube by Tony Langford?
Pentax K1 & Sigma 35 mm f1.4 for play purposes, forgotten how heavy it was !
Langfords Basic Photography , so far chapter 1 only

In the pipeline
DCU
Silkypix Developer Studio
Thats enough camera stuff to keep me busy!

Plus frequent doses of Netflix and Youtube

Looking forward to getting out and getting my Defenders keys off my son!
Only ten days to go
10-30-2020, 07:40 PM   #283
Pentaxian

RESTRICTIONs are easing.

Even those in Meckico are allowed out! well if ya can call 25km from home "out"

QLD is open to all but SydneySiders and Meckicanos

WA will be open soon with only the PremierSTATErs and "those" southerners having to2week isolate.

Not a lot of daily cases but a few deaths still.

Congratulations to all the Viccos who went thru what they did,lets hope its under control forever.
10-30-2020, 08:30 PM   #284
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No congratulations to the half-wits and deniers who caused all the trouble, though. Easy to say, I know, when we’ve got a large moat to keep out the carriers.

@surfar – I’ll save you the trouble, and admit that it’s easier here to spot people you aren’t related to.
10-30-2020, 10:01 PM   #285
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

curious.

What in the world (or where?) Is meckiko??
(Sounds like "Mexico" though i dont dare be sure on that)