Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2019, 04:09 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
REAL ID is coming are you ready for it [ not an invite for political discussion ]

For those members in the US who tend to travel by plane

do you have your " Real ID " qualified driver's license yet ?

a warning from a Chicago Tribune columnist

QuoteQuote:
Column: Get ready to wait in line: The Real ID horror show is coming soon to a driver’s license facility near you

Yes, I was early. It’s still more than 11 months before the Transportation Security Administration will refuse to let you on a domestic airline flight unless you have a Real ID-compliant driver’s license (or can show a valid passport or military ID).

But I was also too late. An employee at the door turned me away as soon as I told him why I was there. “There are already 50 people in line for a Real ID, and we won’t be able to process you before closing time” at 5 p.m., he said. “Come back tomorrow.”

The next day I showed up at a little past 10 a.m., carrying the required documents as listed at realid.sos.gov — my passport as proof of my identity, an Internal Revenue Service W-2 form to prove my Social Security number, a couple of recent utility bills to establish my legal residency and my current driver’s license as “proof of signature.” Other evidence can qualify, including a certified birth certificate as proof of identity, or Social Security card as proof of SSN, but it’s easy to imagine people with less organized lives than mine having trouble assembling the paperwork. . . .
Column: Get ready to wait in line: The Real ID horror show is coming soon to a driver?s license facility near you - Chicago Tribune

[ this thread IS NOT trying to start a forbidden political discussion ]

11-02-2019, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Land of the Free........
11-02-2019, 06:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

NY has both Real ID and Enhanced Licenses. The Enhanced License costs $30 more and lets you drive or take a boat into Canada or Mexico without a passport. I already had the $55 passport card so that I could drive into Niagara Falls, which actually made getting Real ID easier, I already proved citizenship when getting the passport, and made the Enhanced license unnecessary.

The DMV in Syracuse isn't a nightmare, except that they are only open 4 days a week. You can even make an electronic reservation before you go.
11-02-2019, 06:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nope, don't intend too. Average DMV visit in Mississippi 6-8 hours !

11-02-2019, 06:18 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is no possibility that this won't turn political. The very first reply nudged it that way.
Closed Thread