Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question for Sim (Racing? Driving?) Gamers - Wheel?

I am looking for a wheel with pedals (feedback nice, but not entirely necessary) to use on console or desktop to use as a basic driving trainer on XBox One or Steam. New is fine, as is used.

The top companies I see are Thrustmaster, Logitech, and Fanatec. Are there others which I should consider? DOYO? PXN? Microsoft? Hori? Intel? Mad Catz? Interact?

IN terms of models I've seen which seem well-rated:

Logitech G29, G27, MOMO, G920,
Thrustmaster T300, TMX, T150, Ferrari 458, TX-RW, T80

Thanks for any help / suggestions!

11-10-2019, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think they are all quite similar. I don't think any underlying technology has changed in 10 years or more. It's really about which one has a mounting system compatible with where you want to put it.
11-10-2019, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

When I was playing Nascar sims and Need for Speed, I had a Logitech MOMO wheel. It was nice and gave good feedback that was adjustable. In the long run though, I did find a mechanical problem with the foot pedals. After I would get a lot of use on the foot pedals, mainly the gas pedal, The rheostat on the gas pedal would either get dirty (or I was wearing it out) and not allow me to have full throttle control. Imagine running a race at Daytona where it is pedal to the metal but you try that, you only have 3/4 throttle.

If Logitech made the foot pedals so you can clean or replace the rheostat, that would be great.

After the second MOMO started to go bad, I bought another wheel but I didn't like it so I stopped the racing games. I can't even tell you who made this other wheel. I still have it around here somewhere. It might be stuck in a closet.
11-11-2019, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Different bases uses different mechanisms for the wheel. I believe the Logitech G27 still uses a gear system which can be a bit clunky but still good value for money. Moving up price brakets gets hybid gear/belt drive and then pure belt drive. Top of the line is direct drive.

I have experience using the Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster TMX Pro. For feel and feedback I much prefer the TMX but you have to get the more expensive 'pro' model if you want half decent pedals. Also the wheel is is plasticky compared to the Logitech. So whilst the G27 doesn't feel quite as good in-game it does have decent pedals and a cheap H shifter option.

(P.S. the Logitech hasn't significantly changed at all from G25->G27->G29/920)

If I had the money I'd personally grab some Fanatec gear. Starting at the most expensive the following bases are PC and Xbox ready:

Podium DD2 (direct drive)

Podium DD1 (direct drive)

Clubsport V2.5 (belt - dual)

CSL Elite (belt - single)

You're buying into a system that allows interchangable pedals, wheels, shifters, etc. Pricey but very good.

Thustmaster are a bit cheaper although still allow interchangability depending on the model. Even the TMX allows different pedals and an add-on H shifter and handbrake. The following can be used on PC and XBOX.

TS-XW (belt - dual)

TX (belt - dual)

TMX (mixed gears and belt)

11-11-2019, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I have a G29. It is gear driven and can be a bit noisy at times. But it's been very solid. I've heard the Thrustmasters are smoother (belt drive), but had some reliability issues when I was in the marked a few years ago. I found fanatec to be excellent but was out of my price range.
11-12-2019, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vmax911 Quote
I have a G29. It is gear driven and can be a bit noisy at times. But it's been very solid. I've heard the Thrustmasters are smoother (belt drive), but had some reliability issues when I was in the marked a few years ago. I found fanatec to be excellent but was out of my price range.
I have heard of a burning smell right before a Thrustmaster gives up for good (motor or belt?) but thankfully mine is still going strong.