Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2019, 04:18 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Anyone Used Your Photos?

As per the title has anyone used any photos you've taken/published/sold, etc?

I added some photos to Unsplash to be used freely by anyone and they've turned up in all sorts of places. For example:

An advert for East Yorkshire Coaches Northumberland Castles & Coast
The front cover of a book Advanced JavaScript
And on some very random websites Why Do We Struggle So Much?

I do an image search with Google (Google Images) every now-and-again and I'm always surprised just where the images sometimes turn up!

11-13-2019, 04:28 AM - 2 Likes   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one or two images of deer that are used for illustration purposes in "The Mammals of Australia" and the associated "Field Guide" (but I write on deer for those books as well) and various Biosecurity Queensland publications.
11-13-2019, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I am a docent at my local zoo - the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center- here in the capital city of Kansas

if I am there, and I am there a lot, I have a camera and lenses with me

I have told the zoo they can use any of my photos gratis if they give me credit

they chose one of a Patas Monkey for the current membership card and the oversized post card they use to promote membership in the nonprofit which supports the zoo.

only the post card has room for an notice that I took the photo

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-13-2019 at 07:12 AM.
11-13-2019, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I am a docent at my local zoo - the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center- here in the capital city of Kansas

if I am there, and I am there a lot, I have a camera and lenses with me

I have told the zoo they can use any of my photos gratis if they give me credit

they chose one of a Patas Monkey for the current membership card and the oversized post card they use to promote membership in the Nonprofit which supports the zoo.

only the post card has room for an notice that I took the photo
Nicely done! You should ask if you can accompany occasionally some of the keepers so that you can get shots from inside enclosures!

11-13-2019, 05:30 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nothing special, some website and people on Instagram re-post my photos and refer back to my account. Some doesn't refer back but people in my cycle let me know. I usually let it go.
11-13-2019, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Nicely done! You should ask if you can accompany occasionally some of the keepers so that you can get shots from inside enclosures!
thank you

unfortunately unless I am helping with a " behind the scene " tour, which is extra $ for the customers, I am generally limited to the same areas of the zoo as is the general public

on such tours, I am not permitted to take photos as my duties keep me too busy

even though I have some access to areas that the public can't go, I don't take photos from those vantage points

some of the " powers that be " aren't too happy about me taking photos while acting as docent so I don't try to push it.
11-13-2019, 05:39 AM   #7

Somebody on eBay used my photos of the Lester Dine ring flash I posted on PF in their listing. I would hate to think it was another PF member but anything is possible.

11-13-2019, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My photos that have been published have very much been in-house. So within the company they are used in pamphlets, presentations, reports etc. Then within the forest industry I've had 8 or 10 photos included in the SAIF (South African Institute of Forestry) calendar. This is an annual competition where the winning photos make up the calendar.
11-13-2019, 11:06 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A number of my snowflake images have appeared in various publications both online and in print.

One image was used as the cover for a CD by the UK band Dyonisis. They also used some of my water drop images for the inserts in another CD

Others were used by Christchurch Art Gallery in New Zealand as part of an exhibit called 'Blue Planet'. They produced a cardboard snowglobe which was given to children attending the exhibit. I thought that was pretty cool … if you'll pardon the pun

11-13-2019, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
thank you

unfortunately unless I am helping with a " behind the scene " tour, which is extra $ for the customers, I am generally limited to the same areas of the zoo as is the general public

on such tours, I am not permitted to take photos as my duties keep me too busy

even though I have some access to areas that the public can't go, I don't take photos from those vantage points

some of the " powers that be " aren't too happy about me taking photos while acting as docent so I don't try to push it.
What a shame, since they have you as an asset - and as you say, some of your work appears in their publicity.

If they have a social media manager, you should 'hit them up' and get him/her to pull strings so that you can get shots for their Instagram feed or whatever. This is benefiting the zoo!
11-13-2019, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Some real-world usages include:

- a beer cooler at a local RSL club;
- poster for a homeless shelter;
- flyer for a country show rodeo;
- large wall poster at a retirement home.

Except for the wall poster, all of those public usage examples were chance discoveries of mine around local towns. No doubt there are many more usage examples further afield that I don't know about.

A very indirect usage of my photos is that I was once contacted by someone from a national broadcaster (SBS in Australia) who was scouting inner-city locations for a set of station video promos they wanted to shoot. I had shot a couple of alley-way scenes around Surry Hills a long time ago that they saw online so, GPS metadata being absent, they asked me for the exact locations my images were shot in.
11-13-2019, 07:05 PM - 4 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

I let a New York, New York band use one of my images for the cover of their music CD. I was mentioned in the liner notes, and I received a bunch of these music CDs that were autographed by the band.

I had a photo of 3 American bison silhouetted against a stormy sky used by an Indian medicine man named "Matosapa" on his "prayer" webpage. When Indians of his tribe went there to pray, they would see my buffalo photo and hear Indian chanting and drumming. I'd never had anyone pray to one of my photos before!

Also, I've given images to various charities for their publications, and one was even made into a highway billboard (below).

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-06-2020 at 10:47 PM.
11-13-2019, 08:56 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
What a shame, since they have you as an asset - and as you say, some of your work appears in their publicity.

If they have a social media manager, you should 'hit them up' and get him/her to pull strings so that you can get shots for their Instagram feed or whatever. This is benefiting the zoo!
they have an ' official ' photographer
11-13-2019, 11:18 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

I've submitted a few to a local magazine, "Suffolk " ,which have been published.There's something very satisfying in seeing your work in official print!

Last edited by timb64; 11-14-2019 at 05:39 AM.
11-14-2019, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

in 1990, I moved to Waterloo Iowa and opened my law firm - solo practice

it had a summer ' festival ' called " Waterloo Days " which had power boat races on the Waterloo River

I took photos using a Pentax film camera and a vivitar zoom and the next year ( 1991 ) it was the 10th anniversary

the newspaper article previewing the activities had two of my photos of the power boats racing in the river

again I had provided them gratis

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-14-2019 at 05:15 AM.