Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2019, 06:14 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Camera for a 4yo kid

Hello Everyone,

My son shows some interet in taking pictures when he sees us using handsets or particularly RX100. He wants to do the same and often wants to borrow the latter ; actually he is doing ok with portraits and already understood how to zoom and click. He also likes to shoot traffic signs and feet ... So far he is not attracted to DSLR
I was wondering whether there is anything available which would be a bit of a robust toy and at the same time a real camera so that he can start shooting with his own device.
I have spotted a Vtech product called Kidizoom Duo 5.0 but did not find much except this one.
Maybe some of you guys went through the same exercise and would have good advice for me!

11-14-2019, 06:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A simple google search throws up this

Best camera for kids 2019: 9 easy to use and durable cameras for children | T3
11-14-2019, 06:54 AM   #3
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

That Kidzoom one looks similar to one we got our oldest around 3 or 4. It actually looks a little nicer, and considering how far the tech has come since then, it's probably better, but it still has that kidproofing done to it to help with the drops. Another one I've seen in recent years I think might have been a Polaroid model? Had a ton of padding on it. Could always go with something that's not "kidproof" (but still is inexpensive just in case) to start teaching to be responsibie and to take care of a camera. Personally, around that age, I was rocking an old school Polaroid with the self-developing film. I think it was Christmas last year that my oldest got the same style of Polaroid camera. Film isn't as easy to get as it use to be but they went through some and still never went through all they got. Don't think they've touched the camera in almost a year. Going through photography phases I guess.
11-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I gave my Grandson a basic No Name P&S by Panasonic. He used it for a couple of years before losing interest, even did some video. Tough little camera.

11-14-2019, 08:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Why not get a Ricoh WG camera? Those are extremely rugged, reliable and perform decently well. Or a cheaper option like a Fuji something 120 (not as good as the Ricoh, but works decently).
11-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

An old cell phone? That's what everyone uses anyway.

*ducks and hides*
11-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vmax911 Quote
An old cell phone? That's what everyone uses anyway.
I will neither confirm nor deny that my youngest (age 11) uses an old cell phone on WiFi for mobile games, YouTube, and as a camera...
11-14-2019, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
I will neither confirm nor deny that my youngest (age 11) uses an old cell phone on WiFi for mobile games, YouTube, and as a camera...
Well you certainly wouldn't be the only one doing that, not that I would confirm nor deny either.

11-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 for the Ricoh WG-20, very rugged, waterproof, and you can even buy a floating strap, which makes it fun to take along while swimming, underwater shots are cool too. I has settings for various conditions, and even macro, which many find very interesting, who doesn't want colose ups of bugs at 4 years of age"?
11-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #10

Probably Fuji instax series.
11-15-2019, 01:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hello and thank you for your insights.
WG is an interesting suggestion but I think he is too yound to hold properly a P&S. That would be for the age of 7-8yo maybe. I would like to keep him away from smartphones as long as I can...
In the meantime he will get this kidizoom under Christmas tree.
11-15-2019, 01:42 AM   #12
Pentaxian

How about a used digital point and shoot? The new market for them has disappeared and I imagine that used ones should be cheap.

Or look out for a Samsung NX100 with kit lens. It should be $100 or less, but takes great pictures. I have one that gets plenty of use. It doesn't look like it will do well if it gets dropped or gets wet, though.
11-15-2019, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
Probably Fuji instax series.
Instax are great fun (my wife has one) but at roughly 1$ CAD per photo, it scales up pretty fast.
11-29-2019, 10:31 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife just commented that our daughter has started "taking pictures" with objects like we take pictures of her with our phones. I then said that we have two point and shoot cameras just laying around our house that she can use.

Both are Nikon, with one being a waterproof "rugged" PnS and the other being a run of the mill PnS.

We'll see what this 2 year old can do to them!
12-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I'd go with some kind of cheap older bridge camera they're tougher easier to hold. like a fuji and put a piece of tape over the mode dial.
one that doesn't have an extending lens so it won't get full of dirt,