Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lens cap shell game

I assume this is the right area for this. Not a serious issue or post, but I bet you can relate to this

So I always try to keep a lens cap on all my lenses and I don't think I have THAT many of them.
So like two days ago I have this lens and the cap won't go on. I see I have a 52mm filter ring size and a 49mm cap. Where'd this cap come from?
Turns out it's off my new (to me) zoom I got on ebay for a whole $18, its a 49mm filter size. So what's on it? The 52. Seems you can squeeze these 52s down to fit on a 49 no problem.
So I wonder, why do they make a 49mm cap? Just make a 49-52 and say it fits all, cause it does.

11-14-2019, 02:53 PM - 3 Likes   #2

But....but...but..... It's not the RIGHT size!
OCD kicks in . *twitch* *twitch*

Kirk B.
11-14-2019, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery
I expect it's because the cost to include a lens-specific cap is trivial relative to the inherent cost of the lens.

But I'm also with Kirk. A place for everything, and everything in its place.
11-14-2019, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Apart from that, since generic caps are so cheap, why are Pentax (or other brand) caps so blinking expensive ? Do I replace all Pentax ones with cheap alternatives, mounting the genuine ones on some varnished mahogany for display purposes, or do I hunt high and low for genuine ones and panic every time I use the lens in case the cap gets lost ? And no, I refuse to use those dangly 'cap-keeper' things on cameras I have nurtured to look their best.

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 11-14-2019 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Because
11-14-2019, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Does this like point 5 size shoes?

9 and 9.5!
11-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crazy4oldcars Quote
But....but...but..... It's not the RIGHT size!
OCD kicks in . *twitch* *twitch*

Kirk B.
Added extra benefit, its an OCD detector too!

Winning!

---------- Post added 11-14-19 at 08:47 PM ----------

This is the zoom with the 49mm filter
SMC Pentax-F 35-80mm F4-5.6 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
I like it, and for the cost its super!
11-17-2019, 01:37 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the way I change lenses, the front caps stay on the correct lenses all the time when not in use.

The back caps are another story... they change their place with every lens change if I don't just change back and forth the same two lenses, which I rarely do... I don't think I would be able to correctly assign lenses and back caps back to the way I got them if I tried.

11-17-2019, 02:47 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
With the way I change lenses, the front caps stay on the correct lenses all the time when not in use.

The back caps are another story... they change their place with every lens change if I don't just change back and forth the same two lenses, which I rarely do... I don't think I would be able to correctly assign lenses and back caps back to the way I got them if I tried.
The cap is in my front pocket when I am using a lens, then when I turn off the camera, it goes back on. The rear lens covers are a pain to put where they started.
11-17-2019, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

One size fits all? Nah, I don't think having 82mm lens caps on all my lenses is a good idea

My K50/1.2 has a Nikon cap, btw

And some of of my cheapo back caps fit on some lenses but will just fall off others. Annoying.

Another thing is that, yes, I do keep caps on all my lenses, but not all the time. E.g. on my recent vacation I went almost two weeks without putting the cap on my 55-300 - I just kept the hood on and stuffed camera and lens into the backpack when not in use. I do put the cap on if I don't have a hood, though.
11-17-2019, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #10
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Speaking of front and rear caps, has anyone seen the prices for used (or new Chinese replacement) rear K mount caps lately?

I just picked up yet another M42 lens, and it is my habit to permanently fix the M42 to K mount adapter to the lens, and I am fresh out of K mount rear caps. The last time I bout a few they were a buck or two each.

I just purchased one from eBay and it was $4.29 plus $2.49 shipping, plus eBay collects sales tax for my state (about 8%).
11-17-2019, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Speaking of front and rear caps, has anyone seen the prices for used (or new Chinese replacement) rear K mount caps lately?

I just picked up yet another M42 lens, and it is my habit to permanently fix the M42 to K mount adapter to the lens, and I am fresh out of K mount rear caps. The last time I bout a few they were a buck or two each.

I just purchased one from eBay and it was $4.29 plus $2.49 shipping, plus eBay collects sales tax for my state (about 8%).
Keh is usually a better deal than that!
11-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #12
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Keh is usually a better deal than that!
Not by much, I see they have one for $3, but I gotta pay shipping.
11-17-2019, 06:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Not by much, I see they have one for $3, but I gotta pay shipping.
I just found 20 for 14.99 on E bay, they look like they may be OK. If I go for it do you want a few? Generic and probably just pop on, not rotate. Let me know and it may encourage me to buy them.
11-17-2019, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #14
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I just found 20 for 14.99 on E bay, they look like they may be OK. If I go for it do you want a few? Generic and probably just pop on, not rotate. Let me know and it may encourage me to buy them.
Nah, thanks. I saw those. I want twist on. I also find that the genuine Pentax caps work the best for staying on, at least on the M42 to PK adapters. All my Sigma lenses have genuine Sigma caps, which work the best on them. I have one Tamron lens, with a genuine Tamron cap, and it works perfectly on it. Like someone else mentioned, even though the PK mount is ubiquitous, the caps seem to work best on each brand of lens, and not sow well on other brands.

And I don't see myself buying that many lenses over the next 10 or 20 years. Although LBA is incurable, one reaches a point where all the focal lengths are covered, for the type of shooting one does, so I doubt I will be acquiring many more.
11-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote

I do it exactly the same way. When changing lenses, the one currently on the camera gets the rear cap from the one that's replacing it.