Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2020, 05:20 AM   #181
Veteran Member
Hawkfan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Traveling The US
Posts: 313
We have been living in our RV since Jan and we use a Stanley 48 OZ metal French Press and a electric water kettle to heat water. I take the water off just before boil so it hits around 200 or so. We have a small electric grinder so we can use whole bean and do the grind ourselves as the French Press needs a coarser grind then all the drip pre grind found in stores. Many markets now it is hard to find more ten one or two whole bean choices. I like the Major Dickinsons Dark Roast from Peets when we see it which is rarely. Along our travels in LA, MS and FL, we are often limited to the 8 O'clock brand. It's OK, but still not a dark enough roast in my opinion. Traveling through smaller towns we are often limited to Winn Dixie which has very limited choices.

11-19-2020, 09:23 AM   #182
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
ivanvernon's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina, OH
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,556
A good cup of coffee

I buy fresh Kenya AA beans, oven roast to dark roast stage, shaking every few minutes until roast is complete, grind them 20 seconds in a small blender, and make a cup of coffee using pure osmosis-filtered water. It is a good cup of coffee, and you will not need sugar and cream to cover up the taste. If anybody can make a better cup of coffee, I'm all ears because I do like a good cup of coffee.
11-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,866
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I buy fresh Kenya AA beans, oven roast to dark roast stage, shaking every few minutes until roast is complete, grind them 20 seconds in a small blender, and make a cup of coffee using pure osmosis-filtered water. It is a good cup of coffee, and you will not need sugar and cream to cover up the taste. If anybody can make a better cup of coffee, I'm all ears because I do like a good cup of coffee.
How do you roast in the oven without filling your kitchen with tons of acrid smoke? I run my popcorn popper outside because even under the vent hood I get so much smoke the house smells for hours and I risk setting off the smoke detectors.
11-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #184
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,583
I'm simple. A Kuerig machine with some Kirkland Pacific Bold & a little bit of sugar.

11-19-2020, 12:25 PM   #185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
ivanvernon's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina, OH
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,556
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
How do you roast in the oven without filling your kitchen with tons of acrid smoke? I run my popcorn popper outside because even under the vent hood I get so much smoke the house smells for hours and I risk setting off the smoke detectors.
That is a good question. I have had no problems of odor or smoke. I did have a smoke detector go off one time when I was experimenting with a top of stove skillet roasting approach, but no problems in oven at 500 degrees.
11-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,866
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I'm simple. A Kuerig machine with some Kirkland Pacific Bold & a little bit of sugar.
Even the inventor of the Keurig regrets what he's done! A billion used pods in the landfill, like a malevolent printer manufacturer the company puts DRM in the pods so you can only use theirs, and the coffee is meh. But otherwise they're awesome...

---------- Post added 11-19-20 at 02:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
That is a good question. I have had no problems of odor or smoke. I did have a smoke detector go off one time when I was experimenting with a top of stove skillet roasting approach, but no problems in oven at 500 degrees.
Interesting. I may have to try that. I have experimented with roasting coffee in my wood-fired pizza oven and it worked reasonably well. But that's only fired up a few times a month.
11-19-2020, 12:46 PM   #187
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,576
Since I drink anywhere from 0 to 5 cups of coffee a year I am not sure. It all tastes the same to me. We have an old drip coffee maker (not sure of the brand) we got as a wedding present in 1976. People seem to really like the coffee it makes.
11-19-2020, 12:57 PM   #188
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,583
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Even the inventor of the Keurig regrets what he's done! A billion used pods in the landfill, like a malevolent printer manufacturer the company puts DRM in the pods so you can only use theirs, and the coffee is meh. But otherwise they're awesome...
Hahaha! I love the simplicity, but yeah. The plastic pods are a nuisance. Maybe some cardboard k-cups... Hmmmmm.....

11-19-2020, 01:05 PM   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,245
I have a dolce gusto, and a fabulous stainless steel reusable pod which works beautifully with a lovely Brazilian Sao Francisco from my local roaster. The secret is grinding for filter and just using one scoop
Cremaliciousness
11-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
ivanvernon's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina, OH
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,556
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Even the inventor of the Keurig regrets what he's done! A billion used pods in the landfill, like a malevolent printer manufacturer the company puts DRM in the pods so you can only use theirs, and the coffee is meh. But otherwise they're awesome...

---------- Post added 11-19-20 at 02:32 PM ----------



Interesting. I may have to try that. I have experimented with roasting coffee in my wood-fired pizza oven and it worked reasonably well. But that's only fired up a few times a month.
Good luck.
11-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rockaway Beach NYC
Posts: 6,496
There are reusable K cups; I see them for sale everywhere.
Kinda defeats the convenience factor though...

Chris
11-19-2020, 04:18 PM   #192
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
dave_roe's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 434
I am just a simple nespresso type of coffee drinker.

The stronger the roast the better the coffee.
11-19-2020, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #193
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Waikikamukau
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,104
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Since I drink anywhere from 0 to 5 cups of coffee a year I am not sure. It all tastes the same to me. We have an old drip coffee maker (not sure of the brand) we got as a wedding present in 1976. People seem to really like the coffee it makes.
Stirrer ? or just a spoon....

---------- Post added 20th Nov 2020 at 05:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
But in a nice friendly way!
Lickable way...
11-20-2020, 06:05 AM   #194
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,576
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Stirrer ? or just a spoon....
When I have it I drink it black. No wasted effort stirring it. I am just not a fan of hot drinks. It has been years since I have had a cup of tea.
11-20-2020, 06:46 AM   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,780
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I have a dolce gusto, and a fabulous stainless steel reusable pod which works beautifully with a lovely Brazilian Sao Francisco from my local roaster. The secret is grinding for filter and just using one scoop
Cremaliciousness
Yeah, if I had a Dolce Gusto (who is the crazy person who designs those THINGS, by the way? Their looks are always very... interesting ) I'd only use reusable pods.
Coincidentally, for the normal Nespresso system there are many compostable options nowadays, which is great. I'm personally a fan of Lavazza's options. Unfortunately, for the Vertuo system the DRM makes it so that the only options are Nespresso-branded so you have to trust their claims that they recicle all capsules you bring back.

I should probably wean myself off of the capsules, not only because of the environment but also because, in all honesty, Nestlé can scram.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bags, brand, brand and coffee, brazil, burr, cholesterol, chris, coffee, coffee brand, cuppa, donut, donuts, espresso, filter, filters, grinder, health, kitchen, machine, metal, minas, mini, model, night, opinions, paper, pods, smoke, son, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
People using multiple systems, which is your next favorite brand after pentax? donpjt General Photography 79 06-08-2020 06:24 PM
Macro Drops of Coffee machine lid madhurvyas Post Your Photos! 3 07-21-2018 09:38 AM
What is your favorite coffee dstar General Talk 57 02-21-2016 08:57 PM
What are your Favorite Subjects & Favorite Places to photograph? slackercruster General Talk 11 04-11-2012 01:58 PM
Machinery My new coffee machine through the SMC-Takumar 35mm F3.5..... Have to clean.... Rense Post Your Photos! 2 01-16-2012 10:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:18 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top