Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2020, 05:20 AM   #181
Veteran Member

We have been living in our RV since Jan and we use a Stanley 48 OZ metal French Press and a electric water kettle to heat water. I take the water off just before boil so it hits around 200 or so. We have a small electric grinder so we can use whole bean and do the grind ourselves as the French Press needs a coarser grind then all the drip pre grind found in stores. Many markets now it is hard to find more ten one or two whole bean choices. I like the Major Dickinsons Dark Roast from Peets when we see it which is rarely. Along our travels in LA, MS and FL, we are often limited to the 8 O'clock brand. It's OK, but still not a dark enough roast in my opinion. Traveling through smaller towns we are often limited to Winn Dixie which has very limited choices.

11-19-2020, 09:23 AM   #182
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A good cup of coffee

I buy fresh Kenya AA beans, oven roast to dark roast stage, shaking every few minutes until roast is complete, grind them 20 seconds in a small blender, and make a cup of coffee using pure osmosis-filtered water. It is a good cup of coffee, and you will not need sugar and cream to cover up the taste. If anybody can make a better cup of coffee, I'm all ears because I do like a good cup of coffee.
11-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I buy fresh Kenya AA beans, oven roast to dark roast stage, shaking every few minutes until roast is complete, grind them 20 seconds in a small blender, and make a cup of coffee using pure osmosis-filtered water. It is a good cup of coffee, and you will not need sugar and cream to cover up the taste. If anybody can make a better cup of coffee, I'm all ears because I do like a good cup of coffee.
How do you roast in the oven without filling your kitchen with tons of acrid smoke? I run my popcorn popper outside because even under the vent hood I get so much smoke the house smells for hours and I risk setting off the smoke detectors.
11-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #184
Pentaxian

I'm simple. A Kuerig machine with some Kirkland Pacific Bold & a little bit of sugar.

11-19-2020, 12:25 PM   #185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
How do you roast in the oven without filling your kitchen with tons of acrid smoke? I run my popcorn popper outside because even under the vent hood I get so much smoke the house smells for hours and I risk setting off the smoke detectors.
That is a good question. I have had no problems of odor or smoke. I did have a smoke detector go off one time when I was experimenting with a top of stove skillet roasting approach, but no problems in oven at 500 degrees.
11-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I'm simple. A Kuerig machine with some Kirkland Pacific Bold & a little bit of sugar.
Even the inventor of the Keurig regrets what he's done! A billion used pods in the landfill, like a malevolent printer manufacturer the company puts DRM in the pods so you can only use theirs, and the coffee is meh. But otherwise they're awesome...

---------- Post added 11-19-20 at 02:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
That is a good question. I have had no problems of odor or smoke. I did have a smoke detector go off one time when I was experimenting with a top of stove skillet roasting approach, but no problems in oven at 500 degrees.
Interesting. I may have to try that. I have experimented with roasting coffee in my wood-fired pizza oven and it worked reasonably well. But that's only fired up a few times a month.
11-19-2020, 12:46 PM   #187
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since I drink anywhere from 0 to 5 cups of coffee a year I am not sure. It all tastes the same to me. We have an old drip coffee maker (not sure of the brand) we got as a wedding present in 1976. People seem to really like the coffee it makes.
11-19-2020, 12:57 PM   #188
Pentaxian

Even the inventor of the Keurig regrets what he's done! A billion used pods in the landfill, like a malevolent printer manufacturer the company puts DRM in the pods so you can only use theirs, and the coffee is meh. But otherwise they're awesome...
Hahaha! I love the simplicity, but yeah. The plastic pods are a nuisance. Maybe some cardboard k-cups... Hmmmmm.....

11-19-2020, 01:05 PM   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a dolce gusto, and a fabulous stainless steel reusable pod which works beautifully with a lovely Brazilian Sao Francisco from my local roaster. The secret is grinding for filter and just using one scoop
Cremaliciousness
11-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

---------- Post added 11-19-20 at 02:32 PM ----------

Interesting. I may have to try that. I have experimented with roasting coffee in my wood-fired pizza oven and it worked reasonably well. But that's only fired up a few times a month.
Good luck.
11-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are reusable K cups; I see them for sale everywhere.
Kinda defeats the convenience factor though...

Chris
11-19-2020, 04:18 PM   #192
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am just a simple nespresso type of coffee drinker.

The stronger the roast the better the coffee.
11-19-2020, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #193
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Since I drink anywhere from 0 to 5 cups of coffee a year I am not sure. It all tastes the same to me. We have an old drip coffee maker (not sure of the brand) we got as a wedding present in 1976. People seem to really like the coffee it makes.
Stirrer ? or just a spoon....

---------- Post added 20th Nov 2020 at 05:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
But in a nice friendly way!
Lickable way...
11-20-2020, 06:05 AM   #194
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Stirrer ? or just a spoon....
When I have it I drink it black. No wasted effort stirring it. I am just not a fan of hot drinks. It has been years since I have had a cup of tea.
11-20-2020, 06:46 AM   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I have a dolce gusto, and a fabulous stainless steel reusable pod which works beautifully with a lovely Brazilian Sao Francisco from my local roaster. The secret is grinding for filter and just using one scoop
Cremaliciousness
Yeah, if I had a Dolce Gusto (who is the crazy person who designs those THINGS, by the way? Their looks are always very... interesting ) I'd only use reusable pods.
Coincidentally, for the normal Nespresso system there are many compostable options nowadays, which is great. I'm personally a fan of Lavazza's options. Unfortunately, for the Vertuo system the DRM makes it so that the only options are Nespresso-branded so you have to trust their claims that they recicle all capsules you bring back.

I should probably wean myself off of the capsules, not only because of the environment but also because, in all honesty, Nestlé can scram.