Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #211
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
, , , here's a little tip:

Never, and I do mean NEVER, drink coffee from a wax paper cup.
I've always avoid Styrofoam cups if I can

not because they won't hold the hot liquid

just a suspicion that there is some type of chemical transfer from the Styrofoam to the liquid which I am drinking

irrational perhaps but better safe than sorry I say

11-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #212
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
Ouch. Holy shmoly. Those Breville units ain't cheap. I dunno, that's the cost of another good used K3 or good lens! Maybe that instant stuff isn't so bad after all. ....Yes it is.
I bought the glass one new from TJ Maxx. I think it was $170 plus sales tax. The
Thermal came from eBay for just $140 and free ship. There's two there now for under $150. Why pay retail?
11-22-2020, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am waiting for my roaster to reopen. It first opened its doors in 1837. Its quite the place

https://thecoffeehopper.com/about-atkinsons-coffee-roasters/
11-22-2020, 01:31 PM   #214
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I've done it, I like to live on the edge!
A braver soul than me. Lol

11-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I've always avoid Styrofoam cups if I can

not because they won't hold the hot liquid

just a suspicion that there is some type of chemical transfer from the Styrofoam to the liquid which I am drinking

irrational perhaps but better safe than sorry I say
I don't know what the current consensus on Styrofoam cups and health is, but I've always liked drinking hot beverages out of them. The Styrofoam cup with plastic lid with its little fold-up flap, may be a very old-fashioned choice, but I guess I'm just old-fashioned!
11-23-2020, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #216
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I don't know what the current consensus on Styrofoam cups and health is, but I've always liked drinking hot beverages out of them. The Styrofoam cup with plastic lid with its little fold-up flap, may be a very old-fashioned choice, but I guess I'm just old-fashioned!
The advice is to avoid it. Styrene, the base material, is now a known carcinogen. For cold drinks it's probably OK but I would totally avoid one for hot drinks like coffee. All things in moderation of course so an occasional one is likely fine. Just don't make a habit of using them for coffee.

EDIT: Here's a fair and constrained article:
http://www.themedicalconcierge.com/is-your-styrofoam-coffee-cup-safe
11-24-2020, 05:24 AM   #217
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My roaster needs repair, so I went to the grocery store last night to get a few things including coffee. Forgot the coffee. I have no coffee. Sorry, but tea isn't cutting it. It may be a long day.

11-24-2020, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #218
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
My roaster needs repair, so I went to the grocery store last night to get a few things including coffee. Forgot the coffee. I have no coffee. Sorry, but tea isn't cutting it. It may be a long day.
that is a full-on RED LEVEL EMERGENCY!!!

my co-workers would chip in for coffee if they had to work with me in that condition....
11-24-2020, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #219
Veteran Member

Trying out the new vehicle coffee machine today. I bought a second Pavoni so wife and I don't fight over the home one when I go camping without her.... I added a 1700w inverter in the vehicle to run it.... needs about 90amps from the battery for about 10 minutes or so.... it joins the fridge and small oven.... FA 31 on KP.

11-24-2020, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #220
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Trying out the new vehicle coffee machine today. I bought a second Pavoni so wife and I don't fight over the home one when I go camping without her.... I added a 1700w inverter in the vehicle to run it.... needs about 90amps from the battery for about 10 minutes or so.... it joins the fridge and small oven.... FA 31 on KP.
That's not camping! It's just moving your kitchen outside.
11-24-2020, 10:17 AM   #221
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Do you mean nine amps? There are arc welders that don't need 90 amps. If your coffee machine needs 90 amps this is something I need to see!
11-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do you mean nine amps? There are arc welders that don't need 90 amps. If your coffee machine needs 90 amps this is something I need to see!
You feed it fresh beans and the high current roasts and grinds them down to a nice charcoal powder.

I do electrochemical stuff at work... our reactors have never gone over 60 amps at 12 volts, and that was already a sight to behold until we saw a 10 cm arc lightning through a water splash. We decided never to do those experiments again
11-24-2020, 11:22 AM   #223
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
The advice is to avoid it. Styrene, the base material, is now a known carcinogen. For cold drinks it's probably OK but I would totally avoid one for hot drinks like coffee. All things in moderation of course so an occasional one is likely fine. Just don't make a habit of using them for coffee. . . . .
I knew it, I knew it

[ even a broken clock ( analogue ) is right twice a day ]
11-24-2020, 11:45 AM   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use an Aeropress and get my whole bean coffee from one of the local roasters here in Vancouver. (Single origin/fair trade)

We have numerous really good coffee roasters here and am blessed for choices.

Phil.
11-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #225
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget, noelpolar mentioned 90A from the battery, so only about 12.5V if the engine isn't running. From what I could find, that machine has a 950W heater, which would be close to 9A on 110V mains power. At 12.5V, it would be close to 80A. Throw in a little overhead due to inverter efficiency losses, and wiring/fusing for a 90A draw sounds about right.