Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #241
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,497
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The newer Nespresso, which I didn't really care to try, is actually pretty good. A good friend of mine has it, and I have it when I'm over at his house. The coffee quality is very, very good - the kind of coffee you don't need to add anything to, because it just tastes amazing.
The one with the bowl-shaped capsules? That's the one I have, lots of variety and it's almost all very tasty. Honestly I'm very happy with it.

11-25-2020, 10:20 AM   #242
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,558
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The one with the bowl-shaped capsules? That's the one I have, lots of variety and it's almost all very tasty. Honestly I'm very happy with it.
Yes, that one. I was pretty impressed with it as well. Much better than anything Keurig I've ever had, and we have that Green Mountain stuff in our office for the Keurig which is supposed to be pretty good, but I'm not a fan.
11-25-2020, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,106
I was in Aldi this morning. They are selling a coffee machine that takes dolce gusto, nespresso and ground coffee! And it was only 50!

For all that, I would still trade my aeropress, dolce gusto mocha pots and French presses for my old gaggia and a bottomless portafilter! Aaaaaaah those lovely tiger stripes
11-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #244
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Deva
Posts: 297
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Trying out the new vehicle coffee machine today. I bought a second Pavoni so wife and I don't fight over the home one when I go camping without her.... I added a 1700w inverter in the vehicle to run it.... needs about 90amps from the battery for about 10 minutes or so.... it joins the fridge and small oven.... FA 31 on KP.
Glad to see another Pentavonian. I also depend on one (Pavoni and KP). Have not seen a grinder mentioned.

Btw, that is one nice photo!

11-28-2020, 05:22 AM   #245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
noelpolar's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Goolwa, SA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,976
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
Glad to see another Pentavonian.......Have not seen a grinder mentioned.

Btw, that is one nice photo!
Thanks.... yes the Pavoni needs a good consistent grinder..... I just use a Madcap M2M

I reckon the Pavoni is pretty well the Pentax of coffee machines.
Attached Images
 
11-28-2020, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #246
Veteran Member
Hawkfan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Traveling The US
Posts: 312
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Yes, that one. I was pretty impressed with it as well. Much better than anything Keurig I've ever had, and we have that Green Mountain stuff in our office for the Keurig which is supposed to be pretty good, but I'm not a fan.
I recently traveled and stayed in a few hotel rooms that had the Green Mountain Kuerig pods. I was not impressed. Another hotel had the Lions blend I think it was called. That one was pretty bad as well. I don't understand why they can't give you something different. Many hotels are switching to the Kuerig machines but the coffee they provide is just as bad as it was when they were all still using the drip machine. I don't get it. Why can't they just give you some decent coffee? Maybe these K machines are not as good as some tout them to be also. My wife sent me along with some Vina Cafe Vietnamese instant coffee packs. They are better then the hotel coffee.
11-29-2020, 04:50 AM - 2 Likes   #247
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,761
QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
I recently traveled and stayed in a few hotel rooms that had the Green Mountain Kuerig pods. I was not impressed. Another hotel had the Lions blend I think it was called. That one was pretty bad as well. I don't understand why they can't give you something different. Many hotels are switching to the Kuerig machines but the coffee they provide is just as bad as it was when they were all still using the drip machine. I don't get it. Why can't they just give you some decent coffee? Maybe these K machines are not as good as some tout them to be also. My wife sent me along with some Vina Cafe Vietnamese instant coffee packs. They are better then the hotel coffee.
Drip is much better. At least with drip you can put more coffee in and make it somewhat stronger. With the Keurig you're using a pod with coffee that was roasted who knows when, and the water flows through the pod in a second or two, and then when you're done you throw the thing in the trash. Keurigs are the 2002 1Mp point-and-shoot of coffee.
11-29-2020, 06:07 AM   #248
Veteran Member
Hawkfan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Traveling The US
Posts: 312
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Drip is much better. At least with drip you can put more coffee in and make it somewhat stronger. With the Keurig you're using a pod with coffee that was roasted who knows when, and the water flows through the pod in a second or two, and then when you're done you throw the thing in the trash. Keurigs are the 2002 1Mp point-and-shoot of coffee.
Yes, this is my consensus too. Every one I have tried has been pretty bad. The waste thing always bothered me as well. I know they have the little pod baskets you can use for your own coffee, but it's still only a one cup serving and as I always have more then one, it seems a waste. They do seem rather gimmicky. And for all this talk of saving the planet etc, the throw away plastics is irresponsible. There is a lot of talk on their website about sustainability and that their pods will be recyclable this year. What isn't stated is that recycling is dead. China isn't buying it anymore and we are not re producing enough from it. Many communities have simply stopped collection programs. And they bloody well know this. I did see on their website that they apparently own Dr. Pepper now. Shame, as I like DP!

11-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #249
Pentaxian
timb64's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Doing my best to avoid idiots in crowded places.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,434
Get an espresso machine it trumps both for quality!
11-30-2020, 06:26 AM   #250
Veteran Member
Hawkfan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Traveling The US
Posts: 312
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Get an espresso machine it trumps both for quality!
I used to have a Braun Espresso machine some 20 odd years ago. It rarely got used. I like a large cup of coffee so the Espresso machine basically got taken out only once in awile as a treat.
11-30-2020, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #251
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,106
After reading this thread I got my aeropress out. Two cups later and I had serious caffeine overload symptoms. Aeropressers, is one scoop like a double espresso because I was spinning!
11-30-2020, 07:02 AM   #252
Veteran Member
Hawkfan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Traveling The US
Posts: 312
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
After reading this thread I got my aeropress out. Two cups later and I had serious caffeine overload symptoms. Aeropressers, is one scoop like a double espresso because I was spinning!
Must be some high quality stuff there. Isn't the Aeropress just a single serving French Press? Does it develop pressure?
11-30-2020, 08:34 AM   #253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,106
QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
Must be some high quality stuff there. Isn't the Aeropress just a single serving French Press? Does it develop pressure?
You get pressure but not enough for crema or anything. Its like half way between the two. Its also tiny, eminently portable and self cleaning very clever these Australians
11-30-2020, 08:48 AM   #254
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,497
QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
Must be some high quality stuff there. Isn't the Aeropress just a single serving French Press? Does it develop pressure?
It does have *some* more pressure than a French from what I read, but definitely nothing on the level of an espresso machine.

How much volume is there in an Aeropress shot? It shouldn't get close to the mg of caffeine per ml of the espresso...
11-30-2020, 08:49 AM   #255
Veteran Member
Hawkfan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Traveling The US
Posts: 312
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
You get pressure but not enough for crema or anything. Its like half way between the two. Its also tiny, eminently portable and self cleaning very clever these Australians
Self cleaning? Hmm, that sounds intriguing. Can you tell me how that works? That's a big issue we are having with the French Press.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bags, brand, brand and coffee, brazil, burr, cholesterol, chris, coffee, coffee brand, cuppa, donut, donuts, espresso, filter, filters, grinder, health, kitchen, machine, metal, minas, mini, model, night, opinions, paper, pods, smoke, son, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
People using multiple systems, which is your next favorite brand after pentax? donpjt General Photography 79 06-08-2020 06:24 PM
Macro Drops of Coffee machine lid madhurvyas Post Your Photos! 3 07-21-2018 09:38 AM
What is your favorite coffee dstar General Talk 57 02-21-2016 08:57 PM
What are your Favorite Subjects & Favorite Places to photograph? slackercruster General Talk 11 04-11-2012 01:58 PM
Machinery My new coffee machine through the SMC-Takumar 35mm F3.5..... Have to clean.... Rense Post Your Photos! 2 01-16-2012 10:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:49 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top