Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 316 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2020, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #361

Michael Caine as Harry Palmer in the Ipcress File is the father of coffee chic. That breakfast scene is what Austin Powers missed when Mike Myers went straight to the shagging.

12-21-2020, 05:58 AM   #362
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tschibo Barista Caffè Crema, DeLonghi Espresso Maker Dedica 680.R. Not one of the lesser pleasures in life.
12-21-2020, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #363
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Tschibo Barista Caffè Crema, DeLonghi Espresso Maker Dedica 680.R. Not one of the lesser pleasures in life.
I gotta admit that Tchibo have some good coffee at reasonable prices. Their Senseo pads are probably the most... rounded flavor one can find, definitely better than the original brand ones (I know, I know, it's because it's fast and easy to have it in the office).
12-21-2020, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #364
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Cold coffee is for wimps. I take mine hot, even in the summer time.
Tongue in cheek, but I tend to agree!

12-21-2020, 06:28 PM   #365
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just ordered some Maxwell House K-cups (her favorite) from Walmart,
a Christmas gift to be shipped to a former coworker who moved Upstate.

Chris
12-21-2020, 07:13 PM - 3 Likes   #366
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
Anyone do the cold brew thing? So do you brew it cold and drink it cold as well?
I'm narrow minded

I drink hot tea, I drink ice tea

I drink hot coffee

I throw out cold coffee and get another hot coffee
12-22-2020, 08:06 AM   #367

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I just ordered some Maxwell House K-cups (her favorite) from Walmart,
a Christmas gift to be shipped to a former coworker who moved Upstate.

Chris
Hope it's there by Easter

01-26-2021, 04:38 AM - 3 Likes   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After the *Second* Nespresso Vertuo broke (this one within TWO WEEKS, jeez...) I got a refund for it and bought a Bialetti moka pot.

(Plus a selection of coffee beans and a hand grinder. Back to all manual coffeography :P)

I'll report back once the pot is seasoned properly.
01-26-2021, 02:03 PM - 2 Likes   #369
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
After the *Second* Nespresso Vertuo broke (this one within TWO WEEKS, jeez...) I got a refund for it and bought a Bialetti moka pot.

(Plus a selection of coffee beans and a hand grinder. Back to all manual coffeography :P)

I'll report back once the pot is seasoned properly.
That's what I use, a moka pot and a manual grinder... well, two moka pots, a larger one for the morning, and a smaller one for the afternoon.
Also, the grinder I got for 14 bucks is now 10 bucks on Amazon... stainless steel and a ceramic burr grinder, too.
Great and cheap is what a Pentaxian usually looks for, isn't it
01-26-2021, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #370
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
That's what I use, a moka pot and a manual grinder... well, two moka pots, a larger one for the morning, and a smaller one for the afternoon.
Also, the grinder I got for 14 bucks is now 10 bucks on Amazon... stainless steel and a ceramic burr grinder, too.
Great and cheap is what a Pentaxian usually looks for, isn't it
Yup, the grinder is a ceramic burr here as well... so I'm happy.
01-26-2021, 08:04 PM   #371

We use Monoprice for work and I was making a an order for network patch cables... Monoprice Coffee Grinder? For $15, I may give the manual grinder a try or just keep it as a backup to my 15 year old electric grinder. Anyone use one of these to know if it's decent or junk?
Manual coffee Grinder adjustable Black CG-002 - Monoprice.com
01-28-2021, 09:51 PM   #372
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
We use Monoprice for work and I was making a an order for network patch cables... Monoprice Coffee Grinder? For $15, I may give the manual grinder a try or just keep it as a backup to my 15 year old electric grinder. Anyone use one of these to know if it's decent or junk?
Manual coffee Grinder adjustable Black CG-002 - Monoprice.com

That one looks nice. IMO a manual grinder is probably the best way to go.
The small electric grinders I have owned gave little control of granule size.
I always got large chunks or a fine powder; sometimes a combination of both...

Chris
01-29-2021, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #373
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
That one looks nice. IMO a manual grinder is probably the best way to go.
The small electric grinders I have owned gave little control of granule size.
I always got large chunks or a fine powder; sometimes a combination of both...

Chris
There's some newer electric burr grinders that are affordable and have a lot of control over how coarse the grind is. What you're referring to is probably a blade grinder, which I've used in the past, and is ok as long as you're always going for espresso grind...
These newer burr grinders have a stainless burr and some people say ceramic is better but I doubt that there is a noticeable difference....
01-29-2021, 12:38 PM   #374
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
The differences between ceramic and steel burrs

. . . FINAL VERDICT
The advantage of ceramic burrs is that they do not blunt and tend to last longer compared to steel ones, provided there are no impurities in the coffee, as they can chip easily. Steel burrs will blunt over time from heavy use, but cannot really chip .In household setting, it is unlikely you will see a steel burr become blunt, but this is not the case for use in an office or commercial environment. In these cases using a grinder with a ceramic burr is recommended.
In the debate on which material is best in terms of minimising the amount of heat the coffee comes in contact with, the material does not make much difference. The sharpness of the burrs and the design of the burr chamber is much more important here.

================================

this is the one I use, I have an older model

it has carminic burrs and is adjustable for grind

QuoteQuote:
Conical Ceramic Burrs - Ceramic burrs stay sharp longer than steel, and a drop-through conical shape ensures low retention after grinding.
Travel-sized - The diminutive Mini Mill packs easily for travel with a small catch bin and removable hand crank.
Stepped Grind Adjust - Adjust your grind setting with a couple of clicks on the burr-mounted grind adjust.
Tool-free Disassembly - Removing the bottom burr is easy, and the rest of the grinder comes apart by hand.
Reinforced Handle Connector - A reinforced hexagonal connector at the handle is less likely to strip compared to earlier models.
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/hario-mini-mill-plus-hand-grinder

Hario Mini Mill Plus Hand Grinder video - Bing video

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-29-2021 at 12:58 PM.
01-31-2021, 12:15 PM   #375
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried today the Andraschko "Déjà vu" coffee and the grinder itself. After a kerfuffle with the thing not being properly tightened (it included fishing the bottom cone from the coffee container ), and adjusting the grind size I got a nice mug out. Fairly bold but well balanced taste, so once I go through the 4 or 5 different bags I've bought to try, I'd be keen on trying more of the Andraschko range.

Another winner is the Wittmann house mix - it's almost transparent and light-bodied, but somehow very flavourful and fruity. Perfect on the French press for those large mugs to keep drinking through the morning.