Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2021, 03:20 PM   #391
bxf
Pentaxian

Speaking of coffee machines...

I use a Sage (EU name for the Breville line in the US) Oracle. Although I don't need one immediately, I want to buy a specific gasket (o-ring/steam ring), so that I will have one when the inevitable need arises.

As things stand now, there is no stock for this item anywhere in the EU, and since I expect to be leaving this part of the world in the not-too-distant future, I'm not in a position to wait until stock arrives. Breville in the US appears to have stock.

58mm Steam Ring

I would like someone to buy me a couple of these things, and send them to me in Portugal. It should be easy to slip them into a regular letter envelope and send as such. I will prepay for the items and postage, preferably by Paypal, as I think that is the best way to transfer small amounts.

If anyone here has the time to bother with this, I would appreciate it. Please let me know.

Thanks

Bill

02-15-2021, 03:26 PM   #392
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by heinamj Quote
Peet's whole bean dark roast decaf (they've got five different versions). And a traditional Italian Moka Pot. Drinking it black is near perfection now that I forego the caffeine.
Each 3 weeks or so I roast a Columbian water processed decaf for my wife..... and if wanting a coffee after 5pm or so will have a cup myself. It is surprisingly good.... but in general.... I'm still a caffine junky. Generally I just roast it to the start of the second crack to get a medium/dark roast.
02-16-2021, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #393
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Not quite. I've been in tea shops with hundreds of varieties of loose leaf teas. And, I understand that in China, it's elevated to an artform.
There's a tea shop chain in Seattle called Vital Tea, once several years ago my wife and I stumbled into it (looking for a bathroom in the building, actually) and the proprietor sat us down at the counter and demonstrated a lot of the art of tea making to us and a couple other people who were there. It was one of the coolest experiences we've had, just sitting over different teas, watching him brew, drinking them, talking over the different characteristics of teas and brewing methods. We came out of it with more of an appreciation for tea, and brew loose leaf fairly often through the tea brewers they sold. It sits over a small carafe and lets you time the steep very accurately. I like tea, though I don't consider it a replacement for coffee, or vice versa.
02-16-2021, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #394
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Each 3 weeks or so I roast a Columbian water processed decaf for my wife..... and if wanting a coffee after 5pm or so will have a cup myself. It is surprisingly good.... but in general.... I'm still a caffine junky. Generally I just roast it to the start of the second crack to get a medium/dark roast.
What do you use to roast? I have a modified West Bend Poppery II that I can control heat and fan separately. I'll roast more-or-less by feel. 2nd crack, then a bit of smoke. I usually try to not make it Starbucks nearly-burnt, but a little oil on the surface. Sometimes I'll go lighter, that's definitely a different character, more grassy, earthy kind of taste.

Difficulty is the smoke, there can be a lot. So I try to roast outside, but winter temps make it much more challenging to roast consistently. I needed a batch for the new espresso machine, so I did it indoors, under the vent hood. The roast was very good, tending towards darker, and the hood dealt with the smoke reasonably well.

02-17-2021, 12:48 AM - 5 Likes   #395
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
What do you use to roast? I have a modified West Bend Poppery II that I can control heat and fan separately. I'll roast more-or-less by feel. 2nd crack, then a bit of smoke. I usually try to not make it Starbucks nearly-burnt, but a little oil on the surface. Sometimes I'll go lighter, that's definitely a different character, more grassy, earthy kind of taste.

Difficulty is the smoke, there can be a lot. So I try to roast outside, but winter temps make it much more challenging to roast consistently. I needed a batch for the new espresso machine, so I did it indoors, under the vent hood. The roast was very good, tending towards darker, and the hood dealt with the smoke reasonably well.
6 or 7 years ago I moved from pop corn makers to a full bespoke mobile roasting centre....... can roast up to 800gms or so at a time (a bit under 2lbs).

This impressive engineered machine consists of............ a cleaners trolley, bread maker, hot air gun and an old duct fan (... a full bespoke mobile roasting centre sounds so much better doesn't it?)

Anyway.... the hot air gun temp can be set digitally..... 540 to 580c seems to work best (cold days to warm days)..... the bread machine is only used to stir the beans (I made a metal paddle for it.... plastic ones do what plastic does at 500c).... once beans are done.... drop them into a metal colander and cool in front of duct fan. The duct fan sucks the acrid smoke and the chaff during roasting and presents it to your neighbours (I do all this in the driveway).... one can wait for favourable wind conditions to target "select" neighbours. Generally.... no point being a bit quirky without being a bit evil from time to time.

Like you.... I roast by sight and sound.... two batches each time.... a blend for me and a decaf for wife.... only ever stuffed up one batch when I got distracted.

Last edited by noelpolar; 02-17-2021 at 04:38 AM.
02-17-2021, 03:22 AM   #396
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
6 or 7 years ago I moved from pop corn makes to a full bespoke mobile roasting centre....... can roast up to 800gms or so at a time (a bit under 2lbs).

This impressive engineered machine consists of............ a cleaners troller, bread maker, hot air gun and a old duct fan (... a full bespoke mobile roasting centre sounds so much better doesn't it?)

Anyway.... the hot air gun temp can be set digitally..... 540 to 580c seems to work best (cold days to warm days)..... the bread machine is only used to stir the beens (I made a metal paddle for it.... plastic ones do what plastic does at 500c).... once beans are done.... drop them into a metal colander and cool in front of duct fan. The duct fan sucks the acrid smoke and the chaff during roasting and present it to your neighbours (I do all this in the driveway).... one can wait for favourable wind conditions to target "select" neighbours. Generally.... no point being a bit quirky without being a bit evil from time to time.

Like you.... I roast by sight and sound.... two batches each time.... a blend for me and a decaf for wife.... only ever stuffed up one batch when I got distracted.
Oh, I like it! I especially like it as I have all the bits in hand to recreate your masterful creation! This looks so much more "sophisticated" than the popcorn machine solution. And, with the added benefit of being able to annoy the neighbours. Luckily my nearest neighbour is quite some distance away!
02-17-2021, 05:53 AM - 2 Likes   #397
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

6 or 7 years ago I moved from pop corn makers to a full bespoke mobile roasting centre....... can roast up to 800gms or so at a time (a bit under 2lbs).

This impressive engineered machine consists of............ a cleaners trolley, bread maker, hot air gun and an old duct fan (... a full bespoke mobile roasting centre sounds so much better doesn't it?)

Anyway.... the hot air gun temp can be set digitally..... 540 to 580c seems to work best (cold days to warm days)..... the bread machine is only used to stir the beans (I made a metal paddle for it.... plastic ones do what plastic does at 500c).... once beans are done.... drop them into a metal colander and cool in front of duct fan. The duct fan sucks the acrid smoke and the chaff during roasting and presents it to your neighbours (I do all this in the driveway).... one can wait for favourable wind conditions to target "select" neighbours. Generally.... no point being a bit quirky without being a bit evil from time to time.

That's a cool setup, now that you've posted it I think maybe you showed us that before. My popcorn popper works well enough for the moment, but I do wish it had more capacity. I may eventually come up with something like yours. I have the heat gun already, and I just salvaged a decent fan from an old air hockey table... 19 years in I'm sure the wife is used to me cobbling together weird DIY contraptions, so what's another?