Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 316 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2021, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #421
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After trying every way possible to have coffee and..., I decided to drink it black and be happy that coffee was present when I needed it. This served me in good stead when I joined the military, where coffee is almost always present, but not cream, milk, or sugar. Drinking coffee black is the proof that the grounds and the roasting process are good, with no disguises or apologies.

I've had coffee which was prepared every way possible, in the end, it's all the same, and while I appreciate the ritual of preparing, serving and drinking a good cup of coffee in a good social setting, I don't fetishize any one brand or method.

In Germany, I became very fond of Jacob's coffee, in the green package. At home we have Tschibo, in the office it's usually 8 O'clock or Chock full o' Nuts from a Keurig.

06-24-2021, 06:05 AM   #422
Pentaxian

I generally drink only decaf but I'm glad to say the quality of decaf has gone up considerably in the last few years. Here in Spain I usually go for Fortaleza, which is made in the Basque country. Carrefour (a French supermarket) used to sell a really good decaf Columbian coffee but it disappeared about a year ago unfortunately.
06-24-2021, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #423
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Crystallized honey is much better than runny for this. I tried it as I was taking too much sugar or sweeteners and thought it would be healthier. It not quite as nice a demerara sugar IMO but still good and certainly nicer than white sugar or sweeteners. I tried it with tea too. Does not work with that drink though.
I'll try it, that's a good use for crystalized honey as I've found that in my cooler climate, heating it doesn't keep it liquid for very long before crystalizing again. I do love honey, my father was a beekeeper by trade for much of my early childhood.
06-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #424
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do have to say that Dunkin' Donuts serves a good cup of coffee without fail.

06-25-2021, 04:27 AM   #425
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I do have to say that Dunkin' Donuts serves a good cup of coffee without fail.
I will sometimes hear people say that Dunkin' Donuts, Tim Hortons, 7-11, etc have really good coffee. I don't get that. I can't really tell the difference. It's better than Keurig, but otherwise it's pretty much the same as the stuff I'd get from the Bunn commercial drip maker in the kitchen at work, usually made with store-brand pre-ground coffee in a big can.
06-30-2021, 09:44 AM   #426
Pentaxian

When you are craving coffee, good coffee turns into real good coffee

With Dunkin Donuts, it's alright coffee. With creamer, a hint of raw sugar and a shot of coconut flavor, it becomes something I rather enjoy.

But of course it's not espresso - still, it's the kind of coffee, like drip coffee, that has its place and time. Ever try to dunk your biscotti in espresso? I didn't think so
06-30-2021, 10:35 AM   #427
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
When you are craving coffee, good coffee turns into real good coffee

I have noted that my usual coffee always prepared exactly the same way will taste delicious some days and just okay on others...

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I will sometimes hear people say that Dunkin' Donuts, Tim Hortons, 7-11, etc have really good coffee. I don't get that. I can't really tell the difference. It's better than Keurig, but otherwise it's pretty much the same as the stuff I'd get from the Bunn commercial drip maker in the kitchen at work, usually made with store-brand pre-ground coffee in a big can.

Maybe it tastes better to them because someone else is doing the work.
Perhaps those same folks are not adept at making potable coffee.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-30-2021 at 10:41 AM.
06-30-2021, 01:01 PM   #428
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Maybe it tastes better to them because someone else is doing the work.
Perhaps those same folks are not adept at making potable coffee.

Chris
There's some truth to that.

"Different" will usually be better at first - if it isn't bad, of course.

My wife is an excellent cook. I cook much less, but when I do she loves it because she says she gets tired of her own food... even if it's better than what I come up with.
06-30-2021, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #429
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ever try to dunk your biscotti in espresso? I didn't think so
I do it just to spite my Italian friend from work. He is absolutely mortified at the sight, and that makes the coffee taste better
06-30-2021, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #430
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ever try to dunk your biscotti in espresso? I didn't think so
I must not be very cultured, because I have no idea what a biscotti is, nor why you wouldn't dunk it in espresso. XD
06-30-2021, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #431
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I do it just to spite my Italian friend from work. He is absolutely mortified at the sight, and that makes the coffee taste better
Hahahaha. I must admit, I have, on occasion, dunked my biscotti in my espresso.
07-01-2021, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #432
Pentaxian

You guys are even weirder than I thought! (In a good way )

Gotta like someone who loves their espresso so much!
07-01-2021, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #433
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last night I learned that there exists a thing called an Affogato. Which is a shot of espresso poured over a small scoop of vanilla gelato. I think I need to make some gelato this weekend to give it a try. I almost tried it last night with some store brand vanilla ice cream, but didn't want the caffeine at 9pm.
07-01-2021, 09:11 AM   #434
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Last night I learned that there exists a thing called an Affogato. Which is a shot of espresso poured over a small scoop of vanilla gelato. I think I need to make some gelato this weekend to give it a try. I almost tried it last night with some store brand vanilla ice cream, but didn't want the caffeine at 9pm.
Oh, let me tell you, it is AMAZING.
07-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #435
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Oh, let me tell you, it is AMAZING.
Indeed. It's been one of my favourite deserts for probably 30-odd years.