Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 316 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #31

Can I be the guy to say that I don't care to drink coffee and will instead only drink the cheapest generic supermarket tea, steeped for over 5 minutes in a 16 oz mug? No sugar and a tiny splash of milk.

If I'm using a starbucks gift card I'll get an Americano, and if I'm taking drip coffee at someone's house I take it black.

Coffee drinking seems like a whole 'nother hobby that I don't want to spend the time or money on, and I don't want an excuse to develop a dependence to caffeine.

11-17-2019, 08:25 AM   #32
Veteran Member

We use a variety of brands when it comes to whole beans but Steep & Brew can usually be found in our house on most day's. It's packaged in Madison Wisconsin, I have no idea where the actual bean comes from. When it comes to coffee machines, we do not favor one brand over another. We have gone through dozens of machines over the years from many makers. We currently use a single cup machine made by Faberware it replaced our old Krups, it does the trick. I have no complaints.
11-17-2019, 08:30 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I've had a Stanley insulated bottle for the last 15 years - it's been dropped on pavement, concrete, etc..... and still holds a vacuum...[/url]

I was disappointed with my vintage Stanleys (with the baked-on paint finish). They didn't last more than a year or so of hard daily use.
So far the longest lasting in my collection are the Thermos (it floats!) and vintage Gott/Zojirushi stainless models with plastic outer case.

Chris
11-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I was disappointed with my vintage Stanleys (with the baked-on paint finish). They didn't last more than a year or so of hard daily use.
So far the longest lasting in my collection are the Thermos (it floats!) and vintage Gott/Zojirushi stainless models with plastic outer case.

Chris
I screwed up [ again ]

I have a Stanley brand

11-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not in any way a coffee snob, I'm good with most grocery store Colombian coffees and 100% arabica. I had an electric perc that lasted for a quarter century and subsequently a couple newer percs that combined lasted 6 years. I've owned a few auto-drips and the best is my current Cuisinart. Keep the machine clean and use filtered water.

My main compaint is going to a diner for breakfast or a nice restaurant for dinner and the coffee is weak and worse than tasteless. Mention it to the wait staff and get the "we grind it fresh" blather.
11-17-2019, 09:47 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I buy green coffee beans online. I roast them in a converted West Bend Poppery II popcorn popper. Sometimes to a lighter roast, sometimes a bit darker, but usually not Starbucks-style nearly burnt. Then I make the coffee in either a French press or a moka pot. That's on the weekends when I have time.

At work it's a Bunn drip coffee maker with whatever Folgers or Chock Full of Nuts or grocery store brand coffee is in the coffee mess, made with water that's filtered but I'm sure it doesn't get all of the crud removed from 50-year-old military base pipes.
11-17-2019, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'm not in any way a coffee snob, I'm good with most grocery store Colombian coffees and 100% arabica. I had an electric perc that lasted for a quarter century and subsequently a couple newer percs that combined lasted 6 years. I've owned a few auto-drips and the best is my current Cuisinart. Keep the machine clean and use filtered water.

My main compaint is going to a diner for breakfast or a nice restaurant for dinner and the coffee is weak and worse than tasteless. Mention it to the wait staff and get the "we grind it fresh" blather.
Coffee should be

Hot [ you can always cool it ]

Strong [ you can weaken it, you can't strengthen weak coffee ]

IMHO, YMMV

11-17-2019, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Coffee should be

Hot [ you can always cool it ]

Strong [ you can weaken it, you can't strengthen weak coffee ]

IMHO, YMMV
So much truth, in so few words.
11-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I screwed up [ again ]

I have a Stanley brand
Nothing to be ashamed of. Those are fine for amateur use. But not for highly caffeinated power users!

Chris

---------- Post added 11-17-19 at 02:19 PM ----------

My main compaint is going to a diner for breakfast or a nice restaurant for dinner and the coffee is weak and worse than tasteless.
Mention it to the wait staff and get the "we grind it fresh" blather.

It's always best to buy coffee brewed by coffee drinkers.

Dunkin' Donuts around here have pretty terrible coffee. Not coincidentally many
of their employees are from faraway lands where tea is drunk almost exclusively.

OTOH local 7-11 convenience stores have excellent coffee, which disproves the above...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 11-17-2019 at 12:20 PM.
11-17-2019, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
It's always best to buy coffee brewed by coffee drinkers.

Dunkin' Donuts around here have pretty terrible coffee. Not coincidentally many
of their employees are from faraway lands where tea is drunk almost exclusively.

OTOH local 7-11 convenience stores have excellent coffee, which disproves the above...

Chris
The 2 Dunkins closest to me generally have good coffee (although these days I only occasionally stop in) but others in my area sometimes not. It's weird, you'd think that as a franchise there would be a greater uniformity in the quality and flavor of the brew.

I do sometimes get 4 one-pound bags of beans for $20 from them.
11-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #41
Veteran Member

The 2 Dunkins closest to me generally have good coffee (although these days I only occasionally stop in) but others in my area sometimes not. It's weird, you'd think that as a franchise there would be a greater uniformity in the quality and flavor of the brew.

I do sometimes get 4 one-pound bags of beans for $20 from them.

Our DD's has great coffee also.

My wife buys the branded medium roast whole bean coffee every now and again.
11-21-2019, 05:26 AM   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

from what I have read

all coffee in the bean ( green unroasted ) remains fresh for a very long time

but once roasted, flavor begins to fade

so

How to roast your own coffee | Sweet Maria's Coffee Library

does anyone roast green coffee beans

do you agree or did agree with what is said in the link ?
11-21-2019, 06:03 AM - 7 Likes   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been roasting my own beans for almost 10 years now...... and have been using a Pavoni Profesional small expresso machine for over 25 years.... 6 coffees a day... (2 cups ... 3 times)....Madcap grinder.

I take it away camping with me.... runs off a inverter/lithium setup.

Green coffee beans are good for a year..... once roasted and rested for 3-7 days.... ground imediately before use.... then the roasted bean has ideal 7 day window to consume.... if I've done say 3 weeks worth..... by the end of the second week I need to adjust to a finer grind to keep the extraction time about right. I order about 25lbs of green beens twice per year.

I started roasting with modified popcorn makers...... now I use a modified bread maker to stir the beans with an electronic hot air gun ..... about 1lb of beens at a time.

I wheel this setup out of the shed (old cleaners trolley) and roast.... old duct fan sucks smoke and chaff away.... once beens are roasted then I place them in front of the fan to get cooled quickly... in a colander.

Generally, you loose 20% by weight of coffee by roasting.... so need 1.2lbs of green beens to get 1 lb of roasted coffee.

My wife and I preffer different coffee..... so 2 roasts about every 2 to 3 weeks for us.

FA43 shot

Everyone in our house likes their coffee

Last edited by noelpolar; 11-21-2019 at 06:42 AM.
11-21-2019, 06:10 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I like trying various types of coffee - even a pure robusta can be very tasty. For the preparation method, for the past 5 years, I've been using Aeropress almost daily.
11-21-2019, 06:54 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
from what I have read

do you agree or did agree with what is said in the link ?
Generally, the link content is reasonable.

Their are lots of blogs around on this.... that go into more detail..... including different roasting thoughts on different beans, resting times etc. fwiw.... in Aussie.... a kilo (2.2lbs) of say columbian roasted beans is $40..... a kilo of green columbian is $11.... so about $14 if you take imto account 20% roasting weight loss.... so roasting can be a bit of a cost saver..... I live in the country.... so do it mostly to have the best fresh coffee on hand (I'm retired so have the time..... do the same with bread, pizza, growing garlic, tomatoes etc).

FA77

Last edited by noelpolar; 11-21-2019 at 07:01 AM.