Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2022, 04:45 AM   #571
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
My dear fellow, you were stung! In today's money that would be about £2.24, and for less than half the B&Q amount – it's equivalent to £4.95 per 250g.

Only your parsimony economy in still having some left today would grant a little comfort!
It does seem expensive but it was Boots. There was no internet to easily compare prices

03-12-2022, 10:41 AM   #572
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I am still using citric acid I bought from Boots in the 1970s for home brewing, 44p for 4 oz.
That is not helpful to me since even in this Harry Potter infested town where there is a Boots there is no Boots in the 1970s.
03-12-2022, 10:53 AM   #573
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
That is not helpful to me since even in this Harry Potter infested town where there is a Boots there is no Boots in the 1970s.
Try Wilko, same price as B&Q
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-original-citric-acid-250g/p/0332009

03-12-2022, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #574
Pentaxian

... even in this Harry Potter infested town ...
Oh dear, we have a sore muggle in our midst. Have some coffee, it'll perk you up.

03-12-2022, 11:13 PM   #575
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Oh dear, we have a sore muggle in our midst. Have some coffee, it'll perk you up.
But it would be lovely to walk into a 1970s shop with today’s money and be able to buy stuff at the 1970s prices. Why doesn’t Harry do something useful?
03-13-2022, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #576
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

La Pavoni Europiccola, with Waitrose 1 Ethiopian beans, ground in an ancient hand turned Douwe Egberts grinder that my wife's late uncle used in Holland for many years. I only use bottled water as the rock-hard Thames River water that flows from my taps has the potential to gum up a nuclear reactor!

The process of making my coffee is very rewarding and has to be planned and done deliberately, like using a manual focus lens in the age of autofocus. Not necessary, but immensely rewarding and satisfying. It's a weekend pleasure.
03-13-2022, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #577
Pentaxian

But it would be lovely to walk into a 1970s shop with today’s money and be able to buy stuff at the 1970s prices. Why doesn’t Harry do something useful?
Oh no, they never do anything useful; too busy searching for the Arkenwad of Thing or an entrance to the fabled mothchenth wherein lies the Sorcerer’s Neckerchief. They’re worse than teenage gamers.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
La Pavoni Europiccola, with Waitrose 1 Ethiopian beans, ground in an ancient hand turned Douwe Egberts grinder that my wife's late uncle used in Holland for many years. I only use bottled water as the rock-hard Thames River water that flows from my taps has the potential to gum up a nuclear reactor!

The process of making my coffee is very rewarding and has to be planned and done deliberately, like using a manual focus lens in the age of autofocus. Not necessary, but immensely rewarding and satisfying. It's a weekend pleasure.
I hope you take time to inhale! One of the pleasures is savouring the aroma of freshly ground beans before brewing. Ahhhhh!

03-14-2022, 07:43 AM   #578
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
question

is " Kona " coffee worth the price ?

I am asking about 100 % Kona, not the 10% blend

QuoteQuote:
Kona coffee

Kona coffee is the market name for coffee (Coffea arabica) cultivated on the slopes of Hualalai and Mauna Loa in the North and South Kona Districts of the Big Island of Hawaii. It is one of the most expensive coffees in the world. Only coffee from the Kona Districts can be described as "Kona". The weather of sunny mornings, cloud or rain in the afternoon, little wind, and mild nights combined with porous, mineral-rich volcanic soil create favorable coffee growing conditions . . .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kona_coffee

QuoteQuote:
The Kona Coffee Story
This is the Kona Coffee Story. Kona Coffee CherryCoffee trees thrive on the cool slopes of the Hualalai and Mauna Loa Mountains in rich volcanic soil and afternoon cloud cover. Growing in this unique environment, Kona coffee has a distinct advantage over coffees grown in other parts of the world. Coffee trees typically bloom after Kona's dry winters and are harvested in autumn. Coffee cultivated in the North and South districts of Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii is the only coffee that can truly be called Kona Coffee

Before being graded, Kona coffee is hand picked, pulped, dried and hulled. Machinery at the coffee mill sorts the beans into different grades by size and shape. Peaberry is top of the line. A peaberry bean is formed when one side of the flower fuses with the other leaving only one bean in the coffee cherry. This gives the peaberry a more concentrated flavor and makes up only about 5% to 10% of the total Kona Coffee harvest. Top grades (in descending order) include extra fancy, fancy, No.1 and prime.
The Kona Coffee Story - the rich history told from the farms of Kona.

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-14-2022 at 07:58 AM.
03-14-2022, 01:32 PM   #579
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think little overprice
I use automatics expresso and coffee machine call Terra
My favorite Don Pablo Pride from Amazon
Very rich and strong
Also Lavazza Coffee Expresso
Very good
I like very strong rich black coffee expresso style no milk or sugar
Try both not expensive worth every penny
Enjoy
03-14-2022, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #580
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I buy "cleanskin" beans from a roasting house in the southern suburbs. According to them they roast way more beans than they need each week so they bag them up and sell them cheaper than their regular named "estate" bags. There's no guarantee on which beans will be in the bag but they're all roasted within the last week and there's no decaf beans in the mix.

There's a number of benefits from my point of view - less waste and they're cheaper. I don't have a sophisticated enough palate to tell the difference between a bean that was grown at 1,200 metres in the Ethiopian Highlands from one that came from a small family-run organic plantation in the Colombian mountains (I suspect a lot of other people can't either) so I don't mind what I get in the mix.

I've rarely had a bad cup of coffee from any of the bags I've bought this way.
4 Days Ago   #581
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I picked up a Bodum grinder on Amazon recently and it does a good, consistent job of grinding...
this grinder is dying a slow, loud death ....

I'm replacing this conical burr grinder with a flat burr grinder - a Urbanic 070s....

I've also tried several different coffees in the last two years... but keep coming back to DWC Dark Roast....