Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 316 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2020, 10:12 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Kurig- Chock Full of Nuts- Bold. - Tasty and basic... On the road, Dunkin Donuts. Switched from Decaf to Caffine about 9 months ago to help rev up the metabolism to loose weight, and it is working!
Well done!

Don't forget that a small dash of cayenne pepper powder on your food can also rev up your metabolism, keep you young and even prevent cancer, apparently!

And don't forget to eat your salad daily, seasoned only with olive oil and a teaspoon of vinegar...

01-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If coffee tasted as good as it smells I would drown myself in it.
If bacon tasted as good as it smells I'd jump into the frying pan!

Chris
If they tasted at least 10% as good as they smell I'd be addicted...

Oh wait, they do and I am... though I have to say, Aldi's low sodium turkey bacon smells about just as good and if you cook it until perfectly crispy on the griddle, it's about just as good and you can hardly tell any difference when eating it on a scrambled eggs sandwich (does that make me a philistine as well?)
01-14-2020, 02:50 PM - 2 Likes   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Don't forget that a small dash of cayenne pepper powder on your food can also rev up your metabolism, keep you young and even prevent cancer,
With the spice I like eating, I should live to 140 then, (save being hit by a bus or something)!
01-14-2020, 03:13 PM   #79
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Taylors of Harrogate... Hot Lava Java

Manufacturers description...

"Brace yourself - it's about to erupt! This explosively high-caffeine coffee has been forged in the fires of an extra-dark roast, releasing powerful flavours of smoke and black pepper. When you're flagging, it's dynamite. Strength - roast - 6, Rugged & smoky".

By Appointment to HRH The Prince of Wales.

01-14-2020, 04:30 PM   #80
Veteran Member

I spent years going through as many 9 cups of coffee a day while working and going to college... Back then it was what ever had caffeine in it.. I drink a good 2-3 cups a day now..and several cups of green teas.For coffee I like dark roasts fresh ground, I have no favorites as theres always something new to try. I Do really like Lavazza Gran Filtro Ground Coffee Blend, Medium Roast which I buy ground sold as bricks...I usually have that here.

I also really enjoy CDM.. (coffee with chicory). Like it so much that I buy chicory to add to my regular coffees and have planted it to try roasting and grinding it.

We use old percolators here for the first cup of the day.I cant be bothered at 4 in the am making fancy coffee.. I need a hot cup of joe.

Any other time of day we use pour over into a cup with tea kettle water...or a hand french press setup...not fancy by any means.
AL
01-22-2020, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
As with everything else I do, I don't spend much money on coffee

I'm blessed to have an IT job where at work we have a Nespresso machine. The company doesn't cheap out on the pods either, we get the real Nespresso pods off their website. So I average 3 espresso shots a day and I'm very happy about the taste.

At home, I use Bustelo coffee (cuban style espresso roast famous in Miami). I know it's cheap, I know it's not even 100% arabica but it works so well on the stovetop espresso maker (a.k.a. moka pot). Of which I have 2: a 6-demitasse size, and a 1-demitasse. The size 1 is perfect for the afternoon when I just want a pick-me-up - and it only takes 2 minutes on the stove because of the small size!

Sometimes I'll try other brands of coffee but I keep returning to Bustelo... I might be biased, but I think it's not inferior to any of the Nespresso blends I've ever tried. I know some of you might be rolling your eyes at this statement but hey, I like what I like

Here's my 1-cup espresso maker. Don't be fooled by the wide angle pic, this thing is tiny...

Bustelo get's my vote, too.

Its got great flavor, no hassles with grinding, & great price.
02-05-2020, 02:32 PM   #82
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

although not limited to coffee

this looks interesting

QuoteQuote:
Caffeine has been a boon for civilization, Michael Pollan says. But it has come at a cost.
By Tim Carman

February 5 at 8:00 AM[

. , , his latest project, simply titled “Caffeine,” available only as an audiobook from Audible. (Audible is a subsidiary of Amazon, whose founder, Jeff Bezos, owns The Washington Post.)

Pollan, the author of “The Omnivore’s Dilemma,” “The Botany of Desire,” “In Defense of Food” and “How to Change Your Mind” — in which he has explored our complicated relationship with food, plants, drugs and many other things we take for granted — has turned his imposing analytical skills to caffeine, the most popular mind-altering chemical on the planet.

“For most of us, to be caffeinated to one degree or another has simply become baseline human consciousness,” Pollan writes, well, reads in “Caffeine.” “Something like 90 percent of humans ingest caffeine regularly, making it the most widely used psychoactive drug in the world and the only one we routinely give to children, commonly in the form of soda. It’s so pervasive that it’s easy to overlook the fact that to be caffeinated is not baseline consciousness but, in fact, is an altered state.”. . .
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2020/02/05/caffeine-has-b...ge%2Fstory-ans

02-05-2020, 02:55 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Over Christmas and New Year I got to try another coffee variety, recommended by a member of staff as her favourite for 25 years and not at all bitter, I foolishly bought a bagful. How did it taste? Brown. That's the best I can say about it, it tasted brown. A good friend also bought me a bag of my favourite Guatemala Elephant and completely restored my faith in really good coffee.

Purchase with care!
02-06-2020, 05:49 AM   #84
Unregistered User

Get fresh, whole beans from a reputable source, 50% Columbian (low acid, weak body, mildly aromatic, medium color) with 50% Tanzanian or Kenyan (moderate acid, strong body, strongly aromatic, very dark). Keep beans whole until ready to use, preferably in the freezer. Grind as needed in a small spice grinder. Use 1 Tbs finely ground coffee to 12oz. water. Bring the water to a full rolling boil then take it off the heat; wait until it stops bubbling, then pour it over the grounds in a measuring cup. Stir well, and immediately pour through a Melitta-type filter and funnel into your cup.

By the way, coffee causes inflammation.
02-06-2020, 06:40 AM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got a promotion at work, moved into what may be the only government building in the world without an active coffee mess. So I got an electric kettle, a french press, and have been trying various coffees. At home I usually roast my own beans, not going to work for daily use at work. Right now I have some Lavazza which is pretty darned good, even pours with a little light brown froth from the press. Also have some Dallmayr espresso grind that's also good. The really fine grind isn't optimal for the french press but it works.
02-06-2020, 07:06 AM   #86
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
. . . Keep beans whole until ready to use, preferably in the freezer. . . .
most advice I have read recommends this type of thoughts on storage:

QuoteQuote:
Storing Your Coffee
. . . However, if you buy your coffee in bulk or need to store it for some other reason, you do have options. For starters, you may want to divide your coffee supply into a small container for daily use, and a larger container for the bulk of the coffee (which will only be opened to refill the small container). This will allow you to reduce the amount of air the larger container of coffee is exposed to, enabling you to keep it longer. Another thing to keep in mind is generally whole beans will have a longer shelf life than ground beans, which go stale at a faster rate since they have more surface area. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t store ground coffee, you may just not be able to keep it quite as long, depending on how sensitive your taste buds are. . . .

When it comes to storing your coffee, the best environment to keep it in is an airtight container, in a cool, dry place. Why is how you store your coffee so critical? If you don’t store your coffee in this manner, you risk exposing your coffee to the five “coffee killers” listed below, which decrease the lifespan of your coffee and cause it to go stale.

When it comes to storing your coffee, the best environment to keep it in is an airtight container, in a cool, dry place. Why is how you store your coffee so critical? If you don’t store your coffee in this manner, you risk exposing your coffee to the five “coffee killers” listed below, which decrease the lifespan of your coffee and cause it to go stale.

Air: When roasted beans are exposed to air, the flavors in them are oxidized, causing the coffee to go stale.
Moisture: One of the worst things for coffee, moisture taints the oils in the beans, causing off flavors or even making the beans deteriorate.
Heat: Exposing the beans to heat before they are brewed will cause them to lose flavor.
Light: Direct light can cause the beans to go stale and lose flavor.
Odor: Coffee is porous, which means if coffee is near other fragrant items, like fish, it can absorb these flavors. As a result, your coffee could end up tasting like seafood instead of coffee.
Luckily, there are some pretty nifty containers on the market that you can use to store your coffee in and keep it out of harm’s way. We have found that the best options are metal, ceramic or even darkly colored plastic canisters. In addition, it is important to use coffee containers that are airtight, which will keep out air and can prevent moisture and odor from contaminating your beans as well. . . .
What about glass or clear plastic containers? While these options do look pretty on your counter and let you to see the contents inside, they also allow in one of the biggest coffee killers – light. If you really want to keep your beans in a clear container, make sure to store it in a pantry or drawer where it won’t be exposed to sunlight. Another alternative is to use a polarized canister that will allow you to see its contents while keeping light out.

Is it Ever Okay to Freeze Your Beans?
Freezing beans is a contentious topic in the coffee world. Some people adamantly oppose ever freezing your beans, while some claim it’s okay in certain circumstances. According to the National Coffee Association (NCA), “It is important not to refrigerate or freeze your daily supply of coffee because contact with moisture will cause it to deteriorate.” This is a valid point, since every time you open the bag of coffee, which is likely at least once a day; you will be exposing the beans to oxygen and whatever humidity is in the air. Neither of these things is good for coffee and can impact the coffee’s flavor. This effect is even worse when open bags of coffee are stored in the freezer. The humidity forms ice crystals, which essentially freezer burns the beans and causes them to go stale even faster.

However, when it comes to storing unopened coffee, the NCA states it okay to keep it in the freezer as long as it is in an airtight bag. However, once you remove this bag from the freezer and thaw the coffee, do not put the bag back in the freezer. If you do, you will encounter the issue mentioned above, and will likely have freezer burned coffee. Instead of returning the coffee to the freezer, the NCA suggests that you “move [it] to an airtight and store in a cool, dry place.”

While we like the NCA, we couldn’t just take their word for it, so we decided to conduct a couple of tests ourselves. While we did notice a slight difference in the taste of the beans and did have to tweak our grind for the beans a bit, overall we found that coffee beans can be frozen, as long as the package is tightly sealed and unopened the entire time. . . .
Brew Tips: How to Store Your Coffee Beans - Make Coffee You Love!

[ that company - Seattle Coffee Gear - has interesting videos on youtube ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-06-2020 at 07:16 AM.
02-06-2020, 08:09 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
most advice I have read recommends this type of thoughts on storage:

Brew Tips: How to Store Your Coffee Beans - Make Coffee You Love!

[ that company - Seattle Coffee Gear - has interesting videos on youtube ]
The best way to store coffee is unroasted, green, in a cool, dark place. It'll keep six months, maybe more.
02-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #88
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
The best way to store coffee is unroasted, green, in a cool, dark place. It'll keep six months, maybe more.
I agree, once roasted, flavor loss occurs

but I haven't taken the jump to roasting coffee beans
02-06-2020, 10:04 AM - 2 Likes   #89
Pentaxian

I drank lots of coffee for a long time. Then a couple of years ago I had heart issues.

So, I substituted green tea for coffee because it has less caffine. Also, I stopped drinking caffinated soda pop.

Now I no longer have any heart issues..
02-06-2020, 10:09 AM   #90
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I drank lots of coffee for a long time. Then a couple of years ago I had heart issues.

So, I substituted green tea for coffee because it has less caffine. Also, I stopped drinking caffinated soda pop.

Now I no longer have any heart issues..
congratulations