Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 316 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sometimes drink decaf if I crave some coffee in the afternoon - and when there are cookies, cakes and other kinds of pastries that need to be taken care of, coffee sometimes is not an option but a requirement

Yeah we all know it's not completely caffeine-free but the difference between having a little bit of caffeine and having a lot of caffeine when you already are caffeinated, can be the difference between being up at 2am wishing you could sleep, and being sound asleep Plus, with sweets I'll usually have my coffee with a bit of milk anyway, which makes decaf taste fine.

11-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #62
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I sometimes drink decaf if I crave some coffee in the afternoon - and when there are cookies, cakes and other kinds of pastries that need to be taken care of, coffee sometimes is not an option but a requirement

Yeah we all know it's not completely caffeine-free but the difference between having a little bit of caffeine and having a lot of caffeine when you already are caffeinated, can be the difference between being up at 2am wishing you could sleep, and being sound asleep Plus, with sweets I'll usually have my coffee with a bit of milk anyway, which makes decaf taste fine.
I think the point of the article is that there appears to be no means of knowing how much caffeine you actually get from serving to serving
11-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I think the point of the article is that there appears to be no means of knowing how much caffeine you actually get from serving to serving
I've never had a decaf where I felt that the caffeine was not relatively minimal. Who cares I'm getting 5%, 8% or even 10% of the caffeine that I would get if I drank a normal cup of coffee. I'm still having a cut of at least 90% of the caffeine and like I said, that will sometimes allow me to sleep at night where a full cup wouldn't.

If I don't have decaf available I'll just drink a small quantity with my cookies or whatever sweets I have, and I'll be fine as well

But I understand the concern for people who can't have caffeine at all.
11-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No fancy tech here, just an insulated cafetiere and electric grinder. I like Guatemalan Elephant (Maragogype) or Monsoon Malabar and only buy beans still oily and glistening. Starbucks, Schmarbucks – the best bought brew was always in Italy; they just make really good coffee and the taste of a cappucino at the end of an overnight journey is one of my favourite memories.

11-22-2019, 05:48 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

I do drink decaf on occasion, especially in the winter months when I want a warm drink. I can't take a lot of caffeine but I love my coffee. I'm not a big Starbucks fan but they do make a very good decaf. I drink all my coffee with some cream and sugar as it cuts the acid a little. Surprisingly, I'm more likely to get reflux from decaf.
11-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Muskoka Maple. Pretty standard black and Decker machine but enjoy a Bialetti (sp?) sometimes on the weekend
12-10-2019, 08:37 AM   #67
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cuisinart DCC-1200. I liked it so much, i bought it twice.

For beans? I bounce around and try different roasters. I prefer dark roasts, but so many places do a terrible dark roast. I've enjoyed most of the beans from Kicking Horse coffee, although there are some tasty others. For a quick generic blend, lavazza is tasty.

12-10-2019, 11:14 AM - 3 Likes   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My favorite coffee brand is Illy, produced in Trieste, Italy.

My favorite coffee machine is the immortal Moka Bialetti:

12-11-2019, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #69

I agonized over buying a DeLonghi cappuccino machine at a yard sale this summer. My husband convinced me to buy it. Best $10 I ever spent!
12-31-2019, 01:36 PM   #70
Pentaxian

I just get 7-11 coffee. New York Bold, usually. Or Starbucks on occasion.
01-09-2020, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kurig- Chock Full of Nuts- Bold. - Tasty and basic... On the road, Dunkin Donuts. Switched from Decaf to Caffine about 9 months ago to help rev up the metabolism to loose weight, and it is working!
01-09-2020, 10:53 PM   #72

I like Cherry Hill coffee quite a bit. It's local and I know the procurer who travels to various countries to source beans. They only do small batch too which is cool.

My favourite maker is a Le Creuset french press.
01-09-2020, 10:55 PM   #73
Pentaxian

About 14 years ago I had several working trips to the big island Hawaii. Some of the guys I worked with over there grew there own. I really got hooked on Kona coffee
Here it tends to be Kona blend as the real thing is hard to find and very expensive. A couple of years ago, my grandson bought us a Ninja coffee machine which I really like. You can brew a single cup, half or full carafe.
01-10-2020, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

I probably have somewhat pedestrian tastes when it comes to coffee. I usually only have a couple of cups of coffee on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I love the aroma of coffee more than I do the actual taste...same thing with the smell of bacon that's cooking.

I have decaf coffee, usually the Costco brand, think it is Kirkland and my wife knows exactly how much International Irish Crème flavour to mix in with the java and she get it right, unerringly.

I know I'm no coffee aficionado, but I do like to drink it, Sunday mornings while my wife and I listen to the TCM Film Noir program, TV host, Eddie Muller.... as he describes the deep and often dark, ins and outs of Film Noire, and the sometimes odd peccadilloes of the people who made this genre of filmdom.

So to me having a coffee is more linked to a pleasurable experience...then drinking the actual coffee.

I'm probably a philistine .
01-12-2020, 02:46 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I love the aroma of coffee more than I do the actual taste...same thing with the smell of bacon that's cooking.

If coffee tasted as good as it smells I would drown myself in it.
If bacon tasted as good as it smells I'd jump into the frying pan!

Chris