Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 316 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Agree Pete brand excellent
Also I have Nespresso in work place so use Pete capsule as well
Better and less expensive vs Nespresso capsule

09-22-2020, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Pete's Coffee, Major Dickinson Blend is my jam, but I don't love paying for it.
Amen. I also like Pete's Brazil Minas.

---------- Post added 09-22-20 at 12:52 PM ----------

In addition to Pete's (Major Dickinson and Brazil Minas), Cafe Bustelo espresso roast (made in a regular drip machine, not an espresso device), and "Fogbuster" made by a local roaster, once a year at Xmas I order several bags of 100% Kona from Hawaii (impossible to get anything but "Kona blend" locally). I order five or six pounds, several of which go to my son who really likes it, the rest are for my stash. I got some excellent Turkish coffee in Istanbul from a street-side vendor that sold only coffee. You can watch them put it - ground or whole bean - into brown paper bags. Brought back a small bag (1/4 kilo) for myself and another for my son. Really good coffee, full of flavor without being bitter. Alas, I've never found an on-line site that offers Turkish coffee.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 09-22-2020 at 09:53 AM.
09-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have to admit that my wife does not drink coffee at all and I am a social coffee drinker. About 5 cups a year. Never developed a taste for it or for tea. Don't like hot drinks in general. We were given a drip coffee maker as a wedding gift in 1976. Still going strong. People really like the coffee it makes too. Hasn't been used since last Christmas. Which may explain it's longevity.
09-22-2020, 11:16 AM   #109
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

just brewed my second pot of DeathWish coffee of the day...

09-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I roast my own in a West Bend Poppery II popcorn popper. Modified kind of like this. A couple months ago the thing started making acrid smoke, which for a while was hard to tell from the normal coffee roasting acrid smoke. Tore it apart and it was melting. So I had to source a new popper on Ebay, but it's up and running and roasting green coffee beans, fresher than you can get in any store.
09-22-2020, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #111
Pentaxian

So my wive bought me a bag of coffee a couple months ago as part of my father's day gift package, and she didn't realize it was whole bean... and we don't have a grinder.
So I looked around a little bit, and found this manual grinder on Amazon that has a real porcelain burr brinder, for like 19 dollars... so I got that and it's going downhill now Once that bag finished I started buying whole bean coffee at Costco. At least I'm still being fairly frugal, and I'm still using my moka pots (along with a pretty good french press that she also gave me in the father's day gift bucket...)

Now I'm eyeing some electric burr grinders... they've come down in price significantly since I had last looked at them back a few years ago. You can now get a conical burr electric grinder for just over 50 dollars, with very good reviews.
09-22-2020, 01:41 PM   #112
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So my wive bought me a bag of coffee a couple months ago as part of my father's day gift package, and she didn't realize it was whole bean... and we don't have a grinder.
So I looked around a little bit, and found this manual grinder on Amazon that has a real porcelain burr brinder, for like 19 dollars... so I got that and it's going downhill now Once that bag finished I started buying whole bean coffee at Costco. At least I'm still being fairly frugal, and I'm still using my moka pots (along with a pretty good french press that she also gave me in the father's day gift bucket...)

Now I'm eyeing some electric burr grinders... they've come down in price significantly since I had last looked at them back a few years ago. You can now get a conical burr electric grinder for just over 50 dollars, with very good reviews.

I picked up a Bodum grinder on Amazon recently and it does a good, consistent job of grinding...

09-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #113
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Now I'm eyeing some electric burr grinders... they've come down in price significantly since I had last looked at them back a few years ago. You can now get a conical burr electric grinder for just over 50 dollars, with very good reviews.
I chose a manual grinder

here is why:

QuoteQuote:
. . . Many experts say that hand-ground coffee tastes better - as automatic grinders work much faster than your arms will, they generate heat, which can affect the flavour of the bean . So you may want to hand-grind simply to elevate the flavours. . . .
Manual vs. Electric Coffee Grinders: Pros and Cons ? Barista Warehouse

this is the one I use:

https://knowyourgrinder.com/hario-mini-slim-coffee-mill-review/

of course I am only making coffee for one person at a time
09-22-2020, 02:59 PM   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I picked up a Bodum grinder on Amazon recently and it does a good, consistent job of grinding...
I was about to buy that as it's selling for 49 dollars but I started reading reviews saying that there's a gap at the top where a lot of coffee ends up flying out throughout your kitchen... reviews weren't very favorable.

Currently I'm using this and it works great, but takes a while: amazon.com: Manual Coffee Grinder - Hand Grinder Coffee Mill, Conical Ceramic Burr Mill for Precision Brewing Stainless Steel for Office, Home, Traveling, Camping: Kitchen & Dining?tag=pentaxforums-20&
09-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #115
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I was about to buy that as it's selling for 49 dollars but I started reading reviews saying that there's a gap at the top where a lot of coffee ends up flying out throughout your kitchen... reviews weren't very favorable.

Currently I'm using this and it works great, but takes a while: amazon.com: Manual Coffee Grinder - Hand Grinder Coffee Mill, Conical Ceramic Burr Mill for Precision Brewing Stainless Steel for Office, Home, Traveling, Camping: Kitchen & Dining?tag=pentaxforums-20&

here is the one we have:

amazon.com: Bodum Bistro Burr Grinder, Electronic Coffee Grinder with Continuously Adjustable Grind, Black: Kitchen & Dining?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I have yet to have any coffee flying anywhere.....
09-22-2020, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Ah that is a bit different from the one I saw. Costs double too, but I like the brand Bodum. Another one to consider...
09-22-2020, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #117
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I chose a manual grinder

here is why:

this is the one I use:

Hario Mini Slim Coffee Mini Review

Hario Mini Mill - Tutorial and Review - YouTube

I use an electric grinder as it's far easier,I've monitored how warm it gets and if I operate it in pulses (as recommended in the instructions) it really doesn't generate any significant heat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grinder-UUOUU-Washable-Stainless-Activated/dp/B084K..._id=3544812031

Last edited by timb64; 09-22-2020 at 03:44 PM.
09-22-2020, 04:11 PM   #118
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I use an electric grinder as it's far easier,I've monitored how warm it gets and if I operate it in pulses (as recommended in the instructions) it really doesn't generate any significant heat.. . .
individual choice is good
09-22-2020, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #119
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At work I use an old Breville Cafe Roma espresso machine.

Like this one:

It was our first home machine.

At home, we now use a Breville 600, like this one:

Now, I don't know if it is because the machine at work sees more use, but I think it actually makes better coffee than the more expensive 600 machine!

In the mean time, I'm saving for a nicer machine. I have it narrowed down to one of these two:
BEZZERA MITICA e61 PID 2L Espresso Coffee Machine - ESPRESSO MACHINE COMPANY
ECM TECHNIKA V PROFI e61 PID 2.1L Espresso Coffee Machine - ESPRESSO MACHINE COMPANY
I'm leaning toward the ECM, but the Bezzera will fit on the bench better!
09-23-2020, 04:17 AM - 3 Likes   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
At work I use an old Breville Cafe Roma espresso machine.

I want an espresso machine but they're expensive, and they take up counter space. I have a pretty big kitchen, but I'd have to reconfigure for a big ol' espresso machine that really has to have a designated spot. I'm sure I'll have one one day, but for now the really disposable income is being saved up for K-new.

---------- Post added 09-23-20 at 07:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I chose a manual grinder

here is why:

this is the one I use:

Hario Mini Slim Coffee Mini Review

Hario Mini Mill - Tutorial and Review - YouTube

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I use an electric grinder as it's far easier,I've monitored how warm it gets and if I operate it in pulses (as recommended in the instructions) it really doesn't generate any significant heat.

Coffee Grinder with Brush, UUOUU 200W Washable Bowl Spice Grinder with Stainless Steel Blade for Seed Bean Nut Herb Pepper & Grain, Lid Activated Safety Switch, Brown, CG-8320: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
My opinion is that the effect of a little extra heat generated by a good burr grinder is like complaining about a little pixel-peeping chromatic aberration in a $1500 lens if you point it straight at a high contrast backlit scene. It's nit picking, at best.

If you use good quality fresh coffee, grind just before using, and use a good brewing method the electric burr grinder will be more than fine.