Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #136
Veteran Member

I overdose coffee by about 25% when making a fresh batch and drink it black or just chew some roasted beans. Good roast level gives a nice kick but other than that, dunno.

Caffeine pills are also nice for consistent effects.

09-24-2020, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Folgers 100% Colombian, el cheapo toastmaster machine bought at Dollar General taste good to me.
09-24-2020, 01:54 PM   #138
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dipo 1 Quote
Folgers 100% Colombian, el cheapo toastmaster machine bought at Dollar General taste good to me.
added benefit

more money for camera gear

good idea
09-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #139
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Once you get used to well made espresso coffee nothing,imho,comes close.
Quite so. I no longer drink any other form of coffee.

09-24-2020, 03:05 PM   #140
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Yes, it does. Not too different from what you get out of a strong batch from a French press. But my Moka pot cost $11 at the grocery store and I can easily put it in a cabinet.
We have a number of French press pots but since we bought an espresso machine they simply gather dust in the cupboard. Which reminds me, I should probably give them away or maybe keep one in case of an espresso machine emergency or power failure.
09-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #141
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I don't drink expresso ....

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
and do you drink your expresso in demitasse cups ?
Is there any other way?
09-25-2020, 01:27 AM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Yes, it does. Not too different from what you get out of a strong batch from a French press. But my Moka pot cost $11 at the grocery store and I can easily put it in a cabinet.
Don't know what to tell you there, the moka pot coffee is certainly "thicker" than the French press to me.

Most of the time I'm lazy and pop a pod in the Nespresso* in the morning to bring to work as a half white with some foamed milk - The machine makes better coffee than most coffee shops around (except for the couple that use coffee from a certain local manufacturer that I buy the beans for the French press from), and I enjoy having a variety of coffees to choose from depending on my mood.

Once I settle down a bit more I'll probably splurge for a proper espresso machine, although the couple that have been available at the University have been noticeably inferior to the moka pot or even to the cheap Senseo I brought to the office when we were told we couldn't use a hot plate for the moka pot "because safety" . I've been carefully reading several posts about the options (shoutouts to Tim and Mark go here )

*I found a super cheap barely-ever-used Vertuo machine (Still had like 90% of the complimentary pods you get when you buy it) which has options from Espresso (40 ml) to entirely unnecessary 414 ml buckets of darkened water light coffee. I typically settle for either a 150 ml or 80 ml variety in the morning. The espresso-sized shots, I think, are much better served by the "Original" Nespresso line.

09-25-2020, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #143
Veteran Member

One must also not forget that espresso has less cafeine than other types of coffee. For example i always drink double espressos (at home 30g of liquid out of 15g of beans), and while the flavor is much more intense, i do not feel the kick as high as from a mocca pot or an americano.

I am a person that drinks coffee for the taste, not for the effect. The process of making and espresso with the gear i have (tuned europiccola lever machine with a kinu hand cranked grinder) is more like a ritual than a chore, and is fun and involves a bit of movement.
09-30-2020, 01:27 PM   #144
Pentaxian

Two companions that see a lot of use....

11-09-2020, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fellow coffee fanatics! I'm among friends.

I love Stumptown coffee, they're in Portland OR. I grind my beans in a Bodum burr grinder: amazon.com: Bodum BISTRO Burr Coffee Grinder, 1 EA, Black: Kitchen & Dining?tag=pentaxforums-20&

They don't always get the best reviews, but we've had ours for over six years (bought it soon after we got married) and it still works like a champ.

Coffeemaker for day-to-day use is a Bunn: amazon.com: BUNN Heat N Brew Programmable Coffee Maker, 10 cup, Stainless Steel: Kitchen & Dining?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Very nice coffee, nice reliable coffeemaker. I also have a moka pot which I'll use sometimes, along with a few french presses of various sizes. But the early morning, pre-work cuppa is always from the drip coffeemaker and no complaints. We don't have enough time in the day to get much fancier than that.
11-09-2020, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #146
Pentaxian

Original Poster
after long debate i bought new Espresso machine from new company call Terra koffee .Option same as Jura but at least half price
if some interesting look TK01 coffee machine and this coffee beanss very good
Mayorga Organic Café Cubano
11-10-2020, 08:04 AM   #147
Pentaxian

I've actually been drinking quite a bit of Pintail Coffee. It's a local roaster here on Long Island and they sell small bags in local supermarkets. Pretty good coffee. I just found out yesterday that I will also be receiving a Kuerig machine for the holidays so that'll be good.
11-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #148
Pentaxian

Does anyone have an opinion on stainless burr grinders vs ceramic burr grinders?
11-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #149
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My coffee

I have been buying unroasted Kenya AA and Tanzania peaberry coffee beans and roasting them myself. I have been grinding just using a blender--grind and shake, grind and shake. It works fairly well though I do occasionally find an over-sized coffee particle. The procedures are a little tedious, but the taste makes it worthwhile. Sometimes I blend some of my own roast with an innocuous supermarket coffee, and find that a 50% blend does wonders for coffees whose brand names begin with the letters M and F.
11-10-2020, 12:45 PM   #150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Being a trucker, I'm not picky. Foldgers Black Silk in my auto-drip is my go to, made up bulletproof style (blended with butter, coconut oil, cocoa powder, and cinnamon).

I tried French press and various coffees from a local roaster, but that didn't last long before the press met an unfortunate end. It got knocked off the counter and shattered. Good while it lasted, though.