Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 316 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #166
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
Dunkin has been in and around the Chicago area since I was a small child and I am now 56. Nothing new to many Midwest areas.
they were downstate in Bloomington Il in the 60s-70s as well

11-12-2020, 05:21 PM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Dunkin' Donuts coffee here has gone downhill in recent years.
For a good cup of coffee on the road 7-11 is a safer bet.

Chris
As I said, I think coffee culture is different over here. I don't know a single Oregonian who would get coffee from 7-11! On the other hand, sounds like a much cheaper cuppa than people around here get (drive-thru coffee places are everywhere here, but since I started brewing our own coffee shortly after we got married, I couldn't fathom spending $5 a day on a coffee drink anymore).

---------- Post added 11-12-20 at 04:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
The 'Bucks is a bit overboard for my usual tastes, but I do enjoy the occasional peppermint mocha from them. Dunkin' has been expanding and finally made their way to the Midwest a few years back. I use to live in Maine, which is where I first got to know them.
Dunkin certainly has a good basic donut! Donuts are more rare here for some reason. I love a good donut. Also, I can't stand Starbucks. Stumptown coffee in Portland is the place to experience a good cuppa west-coast coffee, if you're ever there.
11-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #168
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
Dunkin has been in and around the Chicago area since I was a small child and I am now 56. Nothing new to many Midwest areas.
Where have they been hiding? Lol

I grew up in Texas, lived in Kansas, then to Maine, then became a trucker, and now living in Wisconsin. I never heard of DD until I moved to Maine, and rarely saw it outside the east coast. We got our first DD in the Green Bay area about 5-10 years ago.
11-12-2020, 07:42 PM   #169
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never added cream to my coffee, but I do put in a good bit of sugar.

11-12-2020, 08:41 PM   #170
Pentaxian

Sadly many locations seem to have lost the recipe for regular coffee.
They seem to concentrate on higher priced items like lattes, flavored and iced coffee drinks now.

Chris
I do like me a cup of 7-11 coffee. Just today I got a cup of Brazilian Dark Coffee with French Vanilla creamer. It wasn't bad. I really liked New York Bold but unfortunately they don't seem to sell that anymore.
11-13-2020, 06:18 AM   #171
Veteran Member

Sadly many locations seem to have lost the recipe for regular coffee.
They seem to concentrate on higher priced items like lattes, flavored and iced coffee drinks now.

Chris
The Dunkins around our area serve better than average coffee made just the way you want it. If you want it black, you get it black, if you want to add, you can add. Even the Macchiatos aren't served sweet or creamy unless you request it that way. They never just serve you up a sweet , white coffee. That's not the way they do business. Where ever Dunkin gets their beans it hasn't changed in many, many years. A Standard cup of coffee is around $2.45, not a deal breaker, although priced about $1.00 higher than McDonalds regular coffee. I'm on the road about 50 hours a week and I have tried many coffee stops, Dunkin is good, but not the best. I prefer them over most of the fast food stops as far as coffee is concerned.

I alway enjoy the rumor mill. It makes me chuckle.

Last edited by kevinWE; 11-13-2020 at 06:27 AM.
11-13-2020, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
God, I remember when I visited New York City. I had heard so much about Dunkin's coffee that I *had* to try it.

Never again. Drinking liquid sugar would have been less sweet . Especially after all the coffee places with actually tasty stuff I tried there
You sometimes hear people with a special affinity for a particular fast-food type coffee, including in this thread. Dunkin. Tim Horton's. 7-11. I'll drink coffee from places like that from time to time, but I just don't see how that's different from the drip coffee you get anywhere else. The coffee I get at the coffee mess in my government building (Bunn drip maker, whatever pre-ground coffee someone got at the grocery store for $8 a can), to me, tastes mostly indistinguishable from Dunkin or whatever.

11-13-2020, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To clarify by "regular coffee" I don't mean "with milk and sugar".
I mean good quality properly brewed coffee, with whatever you choose to add.

I won't pay $2 or more for a cup of coffee.
IMO that's ridiculous - and leaves less money for film!

Chris
11-13-2020, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
The coffee I get at the coffee mess in my government building (Bunn drip maker, whatever pre-ground coffee someone got at the grocery store for $8 a can), to me, tastes mostly indistinguishable from Dunkin or whatever.
Yes, because using fresh beans and grinding them shortly before brewing marks the biggest improvement you can possibly make to your cup.
11-13-2020, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep. Which is why I buy green beans, roast them in a modified popcorn popper, and grind just before use.

11-14-2020, 09:20 AM   #176
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Yes, because using fresh beans and grinding them shortly before brewing marks the biggest improvement you can possibly make to your cup.
My coffee supplier roasts the beans they send me within a day or two of shipping mine out, and I grind just a few minutes before the brew. Absolutely the freshest coffee I've ever purchased and it shows in the taste.

Lookup Ethos coffee if you're interested.
11-18-2020, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #177

Agree on the importance of fresh beans and a good grind. I have a grinder for my drip- Baratza with a Moccamaster drip machine still going strong after 10 years-and a grinder for my espresso - Mignon with a la Spazziale espresso machine, about the same longevity with no issues -which is much finer and once dialed in i dont want to mess with the settings. The grinders have not lasted as long as the coffee makers and have been recently updated- the grinders eventually give up.
Americano in the morning, brazilian beans, drip pot for the boss which i will have a cup after my americano. Usually french roast for the drip or lately using Kicking Horse brand - 454 or grizzly claw. Canadian firm recently purchased by Lavazza, available thru amazon on both sides of the border, getting it for 9.99 pound which is very good.
11-18-2020, 02:30 PM   #178
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Looks a little like...hmmm..
But in a nice friendly way!
11-19-2020, 12:02 AM   #179
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This my new coffee machine and very good coffee bean
It’s call Terra Kaffee
Attached Images

11-19-2020, 04:46 AM   #180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I must have cursed myself by talking about my coffee roasting apparatus a few posts back. Last night I was roasting coffee and into the second batch it stopped heating. Took the modified popcorn popper apart, but haven't quite figured out what's wrong. I think the thermal fuse has gone bad, but when I wired around it the heating element gets so hot that the solder melts. Yikes. Have to do some more troubleshooting. But maybe not too much, since an eBay popcorn popper is about $20-30. Not too hard to buy a new one and wire it up.

Yes, I could just go to the store and buy roasted coffee. Bah.