Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2020, 07:10 AM - 4 Likes   #196
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This thread reminds me of the first time I ever tried coffee, and here's a little tip:

Never, and I do mean NEVER, drink coffee from a wax paper cup.

11-20-2020, 07:47 AM   #197
Banned

Surprised I never saw anyone mention Chemex. Anyone use one? Like to get thoughts as I considered it. They even have an auto version now but pricey.
11-20-2020, 08:37 AM   #198
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
Surprised I never saw anyone mention Chemex. Anyone use one? Like to get thoughts as I considered it. They even have an auto version now but pricey.
Chemex is highly regarded, and really simple. Pour hot water over the grounds. it's not suitable for me as a drink-coffee-all-morning person which is why Breville's Thermal is my personal preference, and Chemex takes more work and timing on the part of the user. But they work just fine in producing a great cup of coffee, depending on the coffee grind itself of course. A friend of ours swears by it after using a French press for a couple years.
11-20-2020, 09:29 AM - 2 Likes   #199
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Chemex pictures I see make use of a paper filter.

I would not come anywhere close a paper filter...

Fun fact: I'm from Brazil and in Brazil, the use of a cloth filter is still very common (it has to be cotton, and has to be a very fine thread). Some swear by the taste. But my wife won't let me keep the ones I have gotten as gifts in the past... she thinks it screams "brazilian hillbilly" or something. But lately it's even making a comeback with the younger generation as a more "eco-friendly" alternative to paper filters or - even worse - keurig style pods.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 11-20-2020 at 09:37 AM.
11-20-2020, 10:01 AM   #200
Banned

That is an interesting unit. Very simple. We had several auto drips but none were very good. My main beef was none of them brewed or kept the coffee very hot. Too much plastic as well. You can drop hundreds on these things and for the most part they are all Chinese junk that gets tossed into a landfill in short order. I hate that. We did go to a percolator for awhile until it started leaking from spout. I know they are not popular with coffee snobs...I mean aficionados as they recycle the brewed coffee over and over. I thought it did OK. The old Bunns were very good but I wouldn't bet on the new ones. Our Stanley metal French Press is still going strong with close to 2 years daily use but we are getting tired of rinsing all the grounds out into a strainer to toss. We want to be able to just toss out paper filter with grounds. That's why a considered a Chemex but then I'd have to invest in a warmer to keep warm.
After a gaggle of junk toaster ovens we found a Breville that works well so perhaps I will look and see what they offer. I had instant coffee this morning which is a first in a couple decades. It wasn't spectacular.
11-20-2020, 10:16 AM   #201

You can get something like this. Similar to Chemex but drips into a container of your choosing. Usually for brewing into a mug but I've seen larger ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Bee-House-Ceramic-Coffee-Dripper/dp/B0047VUNVE?tag=pentaxforums-20&

11-20-2020, 10:23 AM   #202
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
You can get something like this. Similar to Chemex but drips into a container of your choosing. Usually for brewing into a mug but I've seen larger ones.

amazon.com: Bee House Ceramic Coffee Dripper - Large - Drip Cone Brewer (White): Drip Coffeemakers: Kitchen & Dining?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Thanks. The issue is though we are two and both drink at least 2-3 8 oz cups each morning so we like a large amount but also want to keep warm. The metal Stanley we have actually keep it fairly warm for awhile. It's just dealing with cleaning out the grounds is getting a little bothersome. I think we will live with it for awhile and I will be looking at one of the Brevilles. We really like our toaster oven they made so far.

11-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's one to throw out there, I have an aeropress, and I really need to use it right now
11-20-2020, 04:23 PM   #204
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hello to everybody who use Nespresso
I find out very good quality taste and strong
Capsule in food section Target
They very cheep and several variety
I use last few night when work
Very good
Just try
My best for your Thanksgiving
Time
Be safe
11-20-2020, 05:42 PM   #205
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we will live with it for awhile and I will be looking at one of the Brevilles. We really like our toaster oven they made so far.
If you do then get the Thermal version which will keep coffee hot all morning and holds all but a half cup of the glass one. The glass carafe has the looks, but the glass is thin and replacement ones have been out-of-stock for months. Owning both I've come to much prefer the metal carafe over the glass, which by the way are NOT interchangeable between the two almost identical machines.

Last edited by gatorguy; 11-22-2020 at 07:48 AM.
11-20-2020, 06:33 PM   #206
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
If you do get the Thermal version which will keep coffee hot all morning and holds all but a half cup of the glass one. The glass carafe has the looks, but the glass is thin and replacement ones have been out-of-stock for months. Owning both I've come to much prefer the metal carafe over the glass, which by the way are NOT interchangeable between the two almost identical machines.
Thanks Gatorguy! What part of Florida are you in? We are currently in Panacea in our RV.
11-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #207
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Gatorguy! What part of Florida are you in? We are currently in Panacea in our RV.
Smack between Tampa and Orlando.
11-21-2020, 10:25 PM   #208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
This thread reminds me of the first time I ever tried coffee, and here's a little tip:

Never, and I do mean NEVER, drink coffee from a wax paper cup.
I've done it, I like to live on the edge!
11-22-2020, 08:02 AM   #209
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
If you do then get the Thermal version which will keep coffee hot all morning and holds all but a half cup of the glass one. The glass carafe has the looks, but the glass is thin and replacement ones have been out-of-stock for months. Owning both I've come to much prefer the metal carafe over the glass, which by the way are NOT interchangeable between the two almost identical machines.
Ouch. Holy shmoly. Those Breville units ain't cheap. I dunno, that's the cost of another good used K3 or good lens! Maybe that instant stuff isn't so bad after all. ....Yes it is.
11-22-2020, 08:06 AM   #210
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
still percolating in an antique Pyrex percolator on the stovetop.....

between that and my DeathWish coffee..... mmm mmm good....