Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 316 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2020, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You know it is like a syringe, a really big one, you have a tube, a plunger and a cage for the filter. The trad method is to put your filter in the cage and the cage on the tube, you then sit it on your cup so the cage is at the bottom. You then put coffee and hot water in the tube, stir it and place the plunger on top to create a vacuum. Wait the required time then press the plunger which pushes the now steeped water through the grounds. Once it is in your cup I put the press on some kitchen towel, press the remaining water out of the grounds and you end up with a dry hockey puck which you can put on your azaleas. The plunger cleans the tube, it just needs a quick rinse and that's it, clean there are of course other methods, I use it inverted but that's another post lol

11-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #257
Banned

Hmm, sounds easy enough. I may have to look into this Aeropress. Thank you Cerebum.
11-30-2020, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #258
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
You get pressure but not enough for crema or anything. Its like half way between the two. Its also tiny, eminently portable and self cleaning very clever these Australians
what do the Australians have to do with it ?

QuoteQuote:
AeroPress, Inc. is the manufacturer of the AeroPress coffee maker, an innovative coffee press beloved by a multitude of global fans.

The company was founded in 1984 by Alan Adler, a renowned [ American ] inventor and retired Stanford University engineering instructor, to manufacture and sell his revolutionary sporting goods inventions, including the Aerobie Pro flying ring, which set a Guinness World Record for the longest throw. . . .
About AeroPress, Inc. And Alan Adler | AeroPress

at one time, the product had labelling indicating " expresso maker " but since you use your own physical strength to operate it, you cannot make true expresso

you put in the dry coffee grounds, I grind my own, into a large tube closed at one end with a plunger, add heated water ( 205 degrees F ), you close the open end with the flow through cap with a filter between the cap and the liquid, I wait 120 seconds, don't ask me why, turn it upside down over a cup and press the hot water and grounds through the larger tube, filter and cap and the brewed coffee flows into the cup. ( this is what they call the "reverse method " )

you can drink the " slug " of concentrated coffee or add water and other ingredients to it to make it a larger more diluted cup of coffee. my glass mug holds 15 oz so I could divide that for about 2 8 oz cups, but I don't

it's all mine

[ the slug alone was what they originally called " expresso " ]

follow the link for the details

https://aeropress.com/

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-30-2020 at 07:47 PM.
11-30-2020, 08:45 PM   #259
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyone try Cuban coffee?

12-01-2020, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #260
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Or Vietnamese?As ,not, recommended by your dentist!

How I miss travelling to Asia
12-01-2020, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
what do the Australians have to do with it ?

About AeroPress, Inc. And Alan Adler | AeroPress

at one time, the product had labelling indicating " expresso maker " but since you use your own physical strength to operate it, you cannot make true expresso

you put in the dry coffee grounds, I grind my own, into a large tube closed at one end with a plunger, add heated water ( 205 degrees F ), you close the open end with the flow through cap with a filter between the cap and the liquid, I wait 120 seconds, don't ask me why, turn it upside down over a cup and press the hot water and grounds through the larger tube, filter and cap and the brewed coffee flows into the cup. ( this is what they call the "reverse method " )

you can drink the " slug " of concentrated coffee or add water and other ingredients to it to make it a larger more diluted cup of coffee. my glass mug holds 15 oz so I could divide that for about 2 8 oz cups, but I don't

it's all mine

[ the slug alone was what they originally called " expresso " ]

follow the link for the details

AeroPress - Official Store, Replacement Parts And Recipes

Aaaaaah, my mistake lol. I brew for 75 seconds then press for 15. I don't know why I do this either
12-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #262
Banned

So it looks like I can brew up to four servings at a time. I think I might try this out. It's simple, which is a plus and looks like an easy clean. One of those $1000 Pavoni things ain't gonna happen. Ever. I can buy a truckload of coffee, or several Limiteds for that kind of dough. $35, I can do that.

Question..Do you have to use a new filter every time?

---------- Post added 12-01-20 at 10:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Or Vietnamese?As ,not, recommended by your dentist!

How to make Vietnamese coffee - YouTube

How I miss travelling to Asia
Nice if your into the fineness, ceremony and zen of the process. As for this Yankee, the patience required for that shown in the video...ain't happening at 7 am.

12-01-2020, 09:06 AM   #263
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
So it looks like I can brew up to four servings at a time. I think I might try this out. It's simple, which is a plus and looks like an easy clean. One of those $1000 Pavoni things ain't gonna happen. Ever. I can buy a truckload of coffee, or several Limiteds for that kind of dough. $35, I can do that.
I have little desire to spend $1000 on an espresso machine, either. I've kind of pondered making my own espresso machine. You need about 9 bar/130 psi to do it. I have a 150 psi air compressor. Get some pipes, some screw-on fittings, boil some water in a kettle... Maybe? Nothing's ever gone wrong with boiling water at high pressure in a DIY contraption, right?
12-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #264
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Question..Do you have to use a new filter every time? . . .
when you buy an Aeropress, they provide some one time use paper filters and you can buy more from them if you wish

I have never used them

I use this:

Able DISK Fine: The Original Reusable Metal Filter for AeroPress Coffee Maker - USA-Made Stainless Steel

[ I got mine from Amazon ]

and I just rinse the grounds off of it and put it in the dishwasher from time to time

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-01-2020 at 09:15 AM.
12-01-2020, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #265
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thorsanchez Quote
i have little desire to spend $1000 on an espresso machine, either. I've kind of pondered making my own espresso machine. You need about 9 bar/130 psi to do it. I have a 150 psi air compressor. Get some pipes, some screw-on fittings, boil some water in a kettle... Maybe? Nothing's ever gone wrong with boiling water at high pressure in a diy contraption, right?
relief valve!!!
12-01-2020, 09:34 AM   #266
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
That was funny...

But seriously, just don't drink 64 shots and you'll be fine...
12-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #267
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if you don't mind grounds in your coffee:

Turkish coffee - Wikipedia

QuoteQuote:
5 Reasons to Try Turkish Coffee (And How to Make It)
Many people rely on coffee to perk them up in the morning or to provide a boost of energy during the day.

For those who love a strong, rich brew, Turkish coffee may become the new go-to cup of joe.

This is because it’s prepared using a unique method that results in a robust flavor.

This article takes a detailed look at Turkish coffee and its possible health benefits . . .

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/turkish-coffee

I have never had Turkish coffee
12-01-2020, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #268

Hawkfan, I hear you on the espresso volume versus a larger volume coffee - I would still take an americano, espresso with water to taste, i usually use 4-6 ounces, over a drip coffee any time, even with a top notch drip machine. FYI, they call it an americano because when americans were in italy circa ww2, they couldnt handle the espresso so the locals added water and called it an americano.

Last edited by pardalis; 12-01-2020 at 10:04 AM.
12-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #269
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
if you don't mind grounds in your coffee:

Turkish coffee - Wikipedia

5 Reasons to Try Turkish Coffee (And How to Make It)

I have never had Turkish coffee

I actually had a little copper Turkish pot and some Turkish Cardamom coffee. We tried it a few times but it was a hassle trying to use it on electric stove and my wife wasn't in to the Cardamom taste. They make it without the Cardamom as well but we Goodwilled it before taking off in the RV. We did get a Bonvivo Stainless Moka Pot that we can use on the small induction cooktop we have. We have used it occasionally for a "espresso". I'm looking at this Aeropress thing now for a daily driver. Mainly I like the fact it squishes the grounds down into a semi dry puck that we can toss. Right now, we have to rinse out the French Press into a fine mesh strainer and let it drain out in the sink before tossing into garbage. First world problems I know. Kind of sounds ridiculous now that I think about it.

The Winn-Dixie had a BOGO sale on Lavazza yesterday so I picked up the Classic Whole Bean and the Espresso whole bean. Got to try them out. The Sinfonico was yummy.
12-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #270
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . I'm looking at this Aeropress thing now for a daily driver.. . . .
I highly recommend the Aeropress

I hand grind 20 grams of coffee bean, you can vary the amount

preheat the cup with boiling water with the plunger section of the aeropress, the cap and metal filter in the 15 oz mug while grinding

then use 205 degree F water to make the coffee