Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 316 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2020, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #301
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
A better one would be this one:

Esperto Competente – ESPCO : La Pavoni

For the same price you also get the pressure profiling kit (and ims baskets), which is the last, but not least, piece in achieving consistent "pulls". I have one for my europiccola and it helps a LOT.
Sure, why not. If I'm fantasizing about spending the gross national product of Andorra on an espresso maker, might as well make it the better one. But really, if it has the eagle on top and the polished brass/copper/chrome fixtures and wood handles that's really what I'm looking for. Although I might have to upgrade the rest of the kitchen so it fits in better...

12-09-2020, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #302
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
So excuse my ignorance, but is there really something that a $1300 machine does that a $2-300 machine can't do? Or is it the aesthetic factor alone? I mean, this is still a single serving home type machine right? I imagine this is the Lamborghini of espresso? Guess I'm in the Ford sector.
It is not what it can or can't do. This is a 100% manual machine, and everything is up to the user: the temperature, pressure, preinfusion and so on. It is all about the experience of making and drinking espresso. It is like a Ford model T more than like a Lambo.
12-09-2020, 07:22 AM - 2 Likes   #303
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
So excuse my ignorance, but is there really something that a $1300 machine does that a $2-300 machine can't do? Or is it the aesthetic factor alone? I mean, this is still a single serving home type machine right? I imagine this is the Lamborghini of espresso? Guess I'm in the Ford sector.
I don't know. I don't really care. Just look at that thing. It's a beautiful piece of machinery. It should be in a castle high in the Dolomites.

---------- Post added 12-09-20 at 09:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
It is not what it can or can't do. This is a 100% manual machine, and everything is up to the user: the temperature, pressure, preinfusion and so on. It is all about the experience of making and drinking espresso. It is like a Ford model T more than like a Lambo.
It's more like a Duesenberg. The model T was the drip maker that brought coffee to the masses. The Duesenberg was art.

12-09-2020, 07:27 AM   #304
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I don't know. I don't really care. Just look at that thing. It's a beautiful piece of machinery. It should be in a castle high in the Dolomites.
It is a stunner all right. A bit more bling then mine.

---------- Post added 12-09-20 at 09:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Price,quality of coffee,milk warming/frothing capability,simplicity of use,cleaning and (lack of) maintenance.

On the rare occasions we have store bought coffee now both me and SWMBO feel we could have had a better cup at home.

Read the reviews on John Lewis website,they are what swayed me and in six months use making up to five cups of coffee per day I’ve not been disappointed.
I had to look up what SWMBO meant.

12-09-2020, 07:38 AM - 3 Likes   #305
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If we go for those machines, I'll have to do you one better.
There's a diminutive coffee place in Belgrade which has one of these absolute beauties:

Possibly the best coffee I have had in my life. I believe the specific machine they have is several decades old and has been lovingly restored.

EDIT: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Elektra-Belle-Epoque-Verticale-Commercial-Espresso-M...-/223027267898 This is one for sale, with more photos.

Last edited by Serkevan; 12-09-2020 at 07:48 AM.
12-09-2020, 09:46 AM   #306
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Price,quality of coffee,milk warming/frothing capability,simplicity of use,cleaning and (lack of) maintenance.

On the rare occasions we have store bought coffee now both me and SWMBO feel we could have had a better cup at home.

Read the reviews on John Lewis website,they are what swayed me and in six months use making up to five cups of coffee per day I’ve not been disappointed.
It's very tempting! I like a good cup of coffee, but good espresso is special!
12-09-2020, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #307
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
There's a diminutive coffee place in Belgrade which has one of these absolute beauties:

Possibly the best coffee I have had in my life. I believe the specific machine they have is several decades old and has been lovingly restored.

EDIT: Elektra Belle Epoque Verticale Commercial Espresso Machine - 2 Group, Demo Model | eBay This is one for sale, with more photos.

Fantastic, it looks like something from a Steampunk Transformers movie!

12-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #308
Pentaxian

I use a Snowden soft brew coffee pot, no hassle cleaning this one out.
12-09-2020, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #309
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
My... goodness. I now have my aspirational coffee maker, the one I have a lust for. This Pavoni right here. It's like the Lomography Daguerreotype Lens. Maybe it's difficult, maybe it's too quirky, it's not for everyday use, but you just want something that beautiful.
Back in the 80's...I lusted after one... it was in a window at the Melbourne Vic markets (McIvers Coffee shop)... I think it was $960..... 6 or 7 years later I got one.... (I was flying in each week for 3 days or so.... use to get travelling allowance.... so set aside a few dollars until I could get one).... has made 2 coffees up to 3 times a day ever since.... they have their own sub culture.... La Pavoni Lever Machine Owners Public Group | Facebook
12-09-2020, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #310
Veteran Member

EDIT: Elektra Belle Epoque Verticale Commercial Espresso Machine - 2 Group, Demo Model | eBay This is one for sale, with more photos.
here you go... a home version... they have quite a following as well.

Elektra Micro Casa Lever S1 | Caffè Italia[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 10-12-20 at 09:50 AM ----------
12-09-2020, 04:46 PM   #311
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
here you go... a home version... they have quite a following as well.

Elektra Micro Casa Lever S1 | Caffè Italia[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 10-12-20 at 09:50 AM ----------
Very pretty.....But ......£1,200!?

Phew
12-09-2020, 05:30 PM   #312
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, you win! That is the prettiest espresso machine!
12-09-2020, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #313
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Phew
You forgot to say "only" £1,200!
12-09-2020, 06:43 PM   #314
Pentaxian

I think the best cup of coffee I ever had was from a tiny coffee shop on Alli'i drive in Kailua-Kona. Facing the ocean and watching the surf hit the sea wall. I was working over there and we stayed at an old hotel The Kona Seaside hotel. My boss who liked Starbucks went to one in the nearby Safeway parking lot every morning and I went to chat with the locals in the tiny place. I think the ambience may have made the coffee taste better, but to this day I prefer Kona coffee it's all I use at home.
12-09-2020, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #315
Veteran Member

Phew
Your grand kids will still be using it in 2050.... my pavoni has made over 40,000 coffees so far.... no reason it can't do another 40,000 (I'm probably only good for another 20,000 though...)