Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2021, 07:37 PM   #376

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
That one looks nice. IMO a manual grinder is probably the best way to go.
The small electric grinders I have owned gave little control of granule size.
I always got large chunks or a fine powder; sometimes a combination of both...

Chris
I'm tempted to buy it since I've never had a manual grinder. My electric one was a gift about 15 years ago (Capresso) but it's a burr grinder so the grind is pretty consistent. Since I'm the only coffee drinker in the house, it's used almost daily for 2 cups so it's not heavily used. That also means a manual grinder would be minimal effort.

---------- Post added 02-01-21 at 02:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
There's some newer electric burr grinders that are affordable and have a lot of control over how coarse the grind is. What you're referring to is probably a blade grinder, which I've used in the past, and is ok as long as you're always going for espresso grind...
These newer burr grinders have a stainless burr and some people say ceramic is better but I doubt that there is a noticeable difference....
I've never owned a blade grinder but have seen the results. Not impressed. I'm curious about the manual grinders and assume they're about like the manual pepper grinders I've owned. Hopefully more efficient since it would take a long time to grind enough coffee if it's no faster than a pepper grinder.

02-01-2021, 05:56 AM - 2 Likes   #377
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
I've never owned a blade grinder but have seen the results. Not impressed. I'm curious about the manual grinders and assume they're about like the manual pepper grinders I've owned. Hopefully more efficient since it would take a long time to grind enough coffee if it's no faster than a pepper grinder.
You could just hook it up to your cordless drill.
02-14-2021, 08:05 AM - 2 Likes   #378
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The wife completely surprised me for Valentine's Day with a Breville Barista Express. Very nice. I'm going to have to get used to taking my caffeine in concentrated spikes instead of spread out over hours. Had four shots of espresso in less than an hour and I feel like I took a couple Sudafeds.

Photo with the Lomography Daguerreotype Achromat 64mm f/2.9, with a f/6.7 star aperture plate.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
02-14-2021, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #379
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
The wife completely surprised me for Valentine's Day with a Breville Barista Express. Very nice. I'm going to have to get used to taking my caffeine in concentrated spikes instead of spread out over hours. Had four shots of espresso in less than an hour and I feel like I took a couple Sudafeds.

Photo with the Lomography Daguerreotype Achromat 64mm f/2.9, with a f/6.7 star aperture plate.
Wow!Some Valentines present.

02-14-2021, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #380
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Maaan, enjoy! That's a great present

After some three weeks of using the moka pot, I'm very happy with it (even though I'm still playing around with the grinder to get a nice size going). It doesn't feel as caffeinated as a espresso since pressure is much lower, but but at least that means I can drink the 160ml the Bialetti brews without getting tachycardia
The FA 43 has character and lovely rendering - when it wants to help.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-14-2021, 12:56 PM   #381

I've been using a Technivorm Moccamaster KBGT for some years now and a few years ago I added a Baratza Virtuoso Coffee Grinder. A great combo.

I buy my coffee online, usually from Foundry, Coaltown or Buxton Roastery but switch it up every now and then to a handful of others.

I've been getting through a bit more coffee since lockdown and working from home

Last edited by moggi1964; 02-15-2021 at 05:26 AM.
02-14-2021, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #382
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am amazed! 381 responses to discuss coffee and coffee machines.

Tea is so much easier. Some Twinings' or Bigelow's Earl Gray (or perhaps English Breakfast) tea bags and some hot water. Done deal!

02-14-2021, 02:12 PM   #383
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote

Tea is so much easier. Some Twinings' or Bigelow's Earl Gray (or perhaps English Breakfast) tea bags and some hot water. Done deal!
Hey, French press coffee is basically the same! (And traditional Galician pot coffee... similar to Turkish but we strain it).

Twining's Earl Gray is fantastic, though! Probably one of my favourite tea types, if not the one.
02-14-2021, 04:04 PM   #384

I thought tea was simple until I met a British guy who owns a tea and coffee shop. He blends the teas himself. Instead of being a power like most teas, you can identify the ingredients in his teas because they're larger chunks. His tea is priced like going to a local coffee roaster and the results is the same.
Pipers Tea and Coffee

Earl Gray is one of my favorite in general. It's usually a good cup regardless of brand (as long as it doesn't steep too long).
02-15-2021, 02:55 AM   #385
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not quite. I've been in tea shops with hundreds of varieties of loose leaf teas. And, I understand that in China, it's elevated to an artform.
02-15-2021, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #386
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice one. I have the older model without the built in grinder. I'm still saving for the ECM machine. It's a slow road.

One bit of advice: Those soft-touch push buttons need to be handled very gently. Never stab them with your finger(s), always a super light touch. Their innards get brittle from the high heat. I've had to replace or repair two of mine and they're a pain to repair.
02-15-2021, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #387
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Nice one. I have the older model without the built in grinder. I'm still saving for the ECM machine. It's a slow road.

One bit of advice: Those soft-touch push buttons need to be handled very gently. Never stab them with your finger(s), always a super light touch. Their innards get brittle from the high heat. I've had to replace or repair two of mine and they're a pain to repair.
I will definitely keep that in mind.
02-15-2021, 05:23 AM   #388
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Peet's whole bean dark roast decaf (they've got five different versions). And a traditional Italian Moka Pot. Drinking it black is near perfection now that I forego the caffeine.
02-15-2021, 10:17 AM   #389
Pentaxian

Ok so I'm slightly jealous at the fancy espresso machine, but I also got something coffee-related from my wife and it's a Krups silent blade coffee grinder.
My wife was getting a bit annoyed at my manual grinder so she bought me this for Valentine's

(Walmart picture)

Honestly, I had seen experts talking about the cheaper burr grinders and how inconsistent they are in the grind and I have been seeing this in my own disposed coffee grinds, so even though a blade grinder is not fancy at all, I have to say it's very consistent in the grind and it works great for my moka pot, a fine but not too fine grind. And much much faster than the manual grinder, of course... in blind tests people can never tell the blade grinders from the burr grinders so I'm pretty happy for now.

Now what I'm not happy about is this Kona blend from Costco... first the fine print says they don't even guarantee that there's any Kona in there. Which I think there isn't (and there's lawsuits going on from the Kona growers about people using the Kona name as false advertisement - and that includes this coffee I bought... but I only found out when it was too late...) It's drinkable but I won't make that mistake again...

Last edited by ChristianRock; 02-15-2021 at 10:23 AM.
02-15-2021, 03:20 PM   #390
bxf
Veteran Member

Speaking of coffee machines...

I use a Sage (EU name for the Breville line in the US) Oracle. Although I don't need one immediately, I want to buy a specific gasket (o-ring/steam ring), so that I will have one when the inevitable need arises.

As things stand now, there is no stock for this item anywhere in the EU, and since I expect to be leaving this part of the world in the not-too-distant future, I'm not in a position to wait until stock arrives. Breville in the US appears to have stock.

58mm Steam Ring

I would like someone to buy me a couple of these things, and send them to me in Portugal. It should be easy to slip them into a regular letter envelope and send as such. I will prepay for the items and postage, preferably by Paypal, as I think that is the best way to transfer small amounts.

If anyone here has the time to bother with this, I would appreciate it. Please let me know.

Thanks

Bill