Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2022, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #556
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
My cheapo espresso machine appeared to be failing (very slow and tepid coffee output) but I have just run a citric acid based descaling mix through it and it’s now firing on all cylinders again,very happy!

A good reminder that coffee machines require periodic cleaning to operate properly.
I wonder how many are thrown away that could be rejuvenated by simple cleaning?

Chris

02-13-2022, 05:57 PM   #557
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Absolute favorite coffee is River Road Coffee Creole. The perfect medium-dark roast. I fell in love with the stuff after having a cup at a diner right off of LSU's campus. I use a French press. I don't live in Louisiana anymore so it's harder to come by. So I usually drink Trader Joe's Kona blend when I'm out of my favorite. I am looking to buy a drip coffee machine with grinder. Any recs?
02-15-2022, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #558
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
My father-in-law passed away last month, and when going through his house we found an old Toastmaster Bread Box bread maker. I took it, remembering that you had come up with a pretty slick coffee roasting setup using a bread machine.

Well... the first trial didn't go so well. I mounted a heat gun on an old drill press rig so that it can be positioned over the bread machine. Took the lid off the bread machine, turned it on dough knead mode so the paddle operates continuously. Put in some green coffee beans. Seemed to be going fine until the temperature of the beans reached about 350-375 by my infrared thermometer. That's when the bread machine display switched to a high temperature error message. I thought that was strange, it is a bread maker, so I figured 400+ degree (F) temperatures were no big deal. But maybe in knead mode it monitors to make sure it's not too hot?

In any case, it stays in this overtemp mode and won't stir the beans. So I stirred them with a big wooden spoon until they were done, just so I wouldn't ruin the batch. But unless I can figure a way to bypass the temperature sensor this is looking like it won't work. Oh well, I still have the popcorn popper which works well enough.
Mmm.... bad luck! I was expecting to read that the plastic paddle melted.... no temp issues with mine during the knead cycle.... this is the second one for me....
02-16-2022, 09:03 AM - 2 Likes   #559
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Mmm.... bad luck! I was expecting to read that the plastic paddle melted.... no temp issues with mine during the knead cycle.... this is the second one for me....
The paddle is metal, so I'm lucky there. And I've done a little research online, and it looks like you can take the thermocouple(s) off of the walls of the baking chamber and put them somewhere else, maybe even outside the bread maker so they never trigger the over-temp warning. I haven't had a chance to look at mine, but maybe this is salvageable.

02-16-2022, 05:53 PM   #560
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I just did some surgery on the bread machine, and rerouted the thermocouples outside the case. Tested it out and it's all good, no shutoff, and it keeps stirring. Although, it appears to stop stirring after some amount of time (~5 minutes) and I have to start the cycle over. I suppose it's a timeout to rest the dough it thinks is in there. But otherwise I think this will work.
02-18-2022, 12:54 AM   #561
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I just did some surgery on the bread machine, and rerouted the thermocouples outside the case. Tested it out and it's all good, no shutoff, and it keeps stirring. Although, it appears to stop stirring after some amount of time (~5 minutes) and I have to start the cycle over. I suppose it's a timeout to rest the dough it thinks is in there. But otherwise I think this will work.
Yeah.... the machine may have some different cycle options.... when I went from one machine a few years ago to the one I'm using now I had to change the selection.... it's quite common in bread making to do an initial mix... then rest (flour hydrates and gluten developememt gets a head start...... sort of an autolyse)... then a knead cycle etc.... good to know you are getting there.
02-24-2022, 11:03 AM   #562
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love good coffee!
Only beans and only fresh ground:
Electric a Baratza which works very well, if I have time or for Expresso the Kino M47 manual grinder.

90% I drink it black so filtered with Hario filtersystem.

I don't like the French press coffee and find there is a much simpler method:
350ml cup prewarmed
21g fresh ground course coffee
drip a tiny amount of water (correct temperature, after boiling I let it cool down 2 minutes) onto the ground coffee so that some acids can evaporate, wait 30sec.
the rest of the water, wait another 3 1/2 min.

Pour through a siff
Ready!

This method I use since 30 years or so and not any french press could convince me better.

Sometimes I like fresh cream in coffee (and alway in Black Tea!)
Some coffee's shine with cream.
Latte or foamed milk only very rarely.

Best Expresso in Europe: Trinci
Produces other amazing coffees!

My absolute favourite which I allow myself once a year: Blue Mountain

I love good black tea as well:

Darjeeling Muscatel 2-nd flush to me one of the best.

02-24-2022, 06:20 PM   #563
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My daughter just cancelled her Stumptown Coffee subscription.

Chris
03-09-2022, 10:38 AM   #564
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

from " Consumer Reports " reported in the Washington Post

QuoteQuote:
Making coffee, tea and other hot drinks healthy as well as tasty
There are many reasons to enjoy these beverages. But watch out for syrupy concentrates and don’t add too much sugar and cream to them.. . .

Coffee
Good news for the almost 60 percent of Americans who drink coffee: Research has linked it to a lower risk of heart failure, Type 2 diabetes, and several types of cancer. It’s not clear what it is about coffee that’s responsible for these benefits, or what other lifestyle factors might be at play. But with hardly any calories — before adding milk and sugar — and a bunch of protective plant compounds, it’s generally fine to enjoy a morning mug.

Watch out for: Caffeinated coffee after midafternoon. Drinking it even six hours before bedtime can disrupt slumber, according to research published in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. And while coffee’s effect on people varies, the Food and Drug Administration recommends a limit of four to five cups per day.

Also worth noting is that adding sugar and cream can make coffee and other hot drinks far less healthful.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/03/07/coffee-tea-health-taste/
03-11-2022, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #565
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a cheap four cup Black & Decker drip machine and Mc Cafe 100% Columbian medium dark roast. The Blue/purple label Mc Cafe Columbian is the best reasonably priced coffee I have found since they screwed up Eight O’ Clock Columbian ten years ago,
03-11-2022, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #566
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
from " Consumer Reports " reported in the Washington Post

Making coffee, tea and other hot drinks healthy as well as tasty - The Washington Post

The article might also have mentioned that people drink caffeinated coffee because they like it. I don't drink it out of immediate regard for my health. I'm going to brew a mug each for Grandma and myself right now and we'll have it with cream, sugar, chocolate sprinkles or toffee should the notion take us.

Bloomin' nanny newspaper!
03-11-2022, 11:30 PM   #567
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
My cheapo espresso machine appeared to be failing (very slow and tepid coffee output) but I have just run a citric acid based descaling mix through it and it’s now firing on all cylinders again,very happy!
I use citric acid for descaling.

In Australia you could buy citric acid in the supermarket along with the special purpose cooking things like bicarbonate of soda but here in England you need to go to a pharmacy to get a little package.
03-12-2022, 02:08 AM   #568
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I use citric acid for descaling.

In Australia you could buy citric acid in the supermarket along with the special purpose cooking things like bicarbonate of soda but here in England you need to go to a pharmacy to get a little package.
B&Q, Tim. 250g for £1.97

Dri-pak Clean & natural Citric acid, 250g | DIY at B&Q
03-12-2022, 02:18 AM   #569
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I am still using citric acid I bought from Boots in the 1970s for home brewing, 44p for 4 oz.

Last edited by slartibartfast01; 03-12-2022 at 03:47 AM.
03-12-2022, 04:14 AM   #570
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I am still using citric acid I bought from Boots in the 1970s for home brewing, 44p for 4 oz.
My dear fellow, you were stung! In today's money that would be about £2.24, and for less than half the B&Q amount – it's equivalent to £4.95 per 250g.

Only your parsimony economy in still having some left today would grant a little comfort!