Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2019, 10:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What your favorite coffee brand and coffee machine

Can you share what your favorite coffee brand and favorite coffee machine Work night shift use coffee every night usually whole bean and manual expresso machine but now look new machine
As Jura Anybody has experience with Jura
My favorite coffee brand now Dead Wish when work at home Don Pablo

11-15-2019, 12:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

My coffee machine is a Russel Hobbs and I would not trade it for even a KP.

Well... maybe I'll trade it for a KP, but I would buy another Russel Hobbs at once!
11-15-2019, 07:29 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like dark roast

so I get French or Italian or Sumatran whole bean Starbucks [ bought on sale at my local grocery store ]

as far as machine -

a manual grinder - Hario MSS-1TB Coffee Mill Ceramic Slim Hand Grinder

hot water heater

and the AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker

I use the " reverse " method using 20 g of ground coffee

I can make a 15 0z mug

anyone want more details, please send me a pm

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-15-2019 at 07:43 AM.
11-15-2019, 07:39 AM - 3 Likes   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Deathwish ground coffee, percolating in an ancient Pyrex 9-cup percolator...

everyday, sometimes twice a day...

11-15-2019, 07:39 AM   #5

Maxwellhouse Breakfast Blend, and a Bunn 10 cup pour-thru coffee maker, lol.
I only want coffee in my coffee, so that rules out most of Starbucks menu. The only time I drank their regular coffee was in an airport, where it was the only option. It tasted burnt.
I'll stick to plain and simple, thank you very much.

Kirk B.
11-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

green Tree Coffee from Lincolnville Maine, He roasts in 28 and 32 pound batches. Then I use his Kenya AA french roast, his Tanzanian Peaberry French roast, and his Dark Harbor blend, always via the pour over method.

@Aslyfox the water for coffee should be 200 degrees F. not more, not less. hotter means more bitter and if you are using *bucks over-roasted beans, you may be hurting the balance of your cup.
11-15-2019, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yuban Dark Roast, once a regional California brand, since acquired by P&G. So far it hasn’t changed. I tried Black Rifle but most of their blends were pretty weak and they offer 12oz bags of beans at 16oz premium prices. I’m happy to support veterans, but not that happy. We have a local roaster Ronnoco Coffee who do good blends.

I use a Bunn spray head drip machine and a French Press for small batches.

11-15-2019, 08:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes I feel like I am missing out by not drinking coffee but I've never acquired the taste for it. Tea, on the other hand, I drink every day. Irish Breakfast tea, English Afternoon tea, Prince of Wales tea, Oolong tea, maybe Earl Grey once in a while or Chai on a cool autumn afternoon or blustery winter day.
11-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
. . .@Aslyfox the water for coffee should be 200 degrees F. not more, not less. hotter means more bitter and if you are using *bucks over-roasted beans, you may be hurting the balance of your cup.
to each their own

you are entitled to your opinion as am I

as i understand it roasting the green coffee beans yourself would be best

as I understand it green coffee beans last a long time but once roasted flavor begins to go almost immediately

but I don't have the means to do that and the spouse would not allow it

BTW

i just placed an order for the Kenya AA whole bean

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-15-2019 at 08:51 AM.
11-15-2019, 08:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
to each their own

you are entitled to your opinion as am I
The 200 degrees was not stated as an opinion, It is generally accepted fact and was reinforced by my coffee roaster who has an import business that does 800,000 pounds per month. His roasting business is what he does for fun. His Father was a honcho for Folgers so he was kind of born into the coffee biz. Just as different teas need differing temperatures for proper brewing, coffee should be at 200 F.

Try it and taste the difference! I have tried multiple hot pots to get the temp correct but they die or are inaccurate so I use a tea kettle and a digital cooking thermometer to get it right.
11-15-2019, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

The 200 degrees was not stated as an opinion, It is generally accepted fact and was reinforced by my coffee roaster who has an import business that does 800,000 pounds per month. His roasting business is what he does for fun. His Father was a honcho for Folgers so he was kind of born into the coffee biz. Just as different teas need differing temperatures for proper brewing, coffee should be at 200 F.

Try it and taste the difference! I have tried multiple hot pots to get the temp correct but they die or are inaccurate so I use a tea kettle and a digital cooking thermometer to get it right.
despite experts " facts ", individual tastes still vary

I use a electric tea kettle that allows me to set the temperature

I preheat my cup with 212 o

but I pour 206 o over the grounds and after adding cream, fill the mug with water heated to 206 o

of course there is nothing wrong with a little experimentation either

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-15-2019 at 09:11 AM.
11-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My coffee taste has been pretty simple -- Nabob dark roast from the supermarket, pre-ground in the bag. I use a Black & Decker "Cup 'n Go" drip-filter single-cup machine.

Per cup: 20 cents. Simple, quick, and good enough.

Maybe this thread will give me some ideas for a better cup of coffee!

Best coffee I ever had was in Berlin.

- Craig
11-15-2019, 10:18 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

As with everything else I do, I don't spend much money on coffee

I'm blessed to have an IT job where at work we have a Nespresso machine. The company doesn't cheap out on the pods either, we get the real Nespresso pods off their website. So I average 3 espresso shots a day and I'm very happy about the taste.

At home, I use Bustelo coffee (cuban style espresso roast famous in Miami). I know it's cheap, I know it's not even 100% arabica but it works so well on the stovetop espresso maker (a.k.a. moka pot). Of which I have 2: a 6-demitasse size, and a 1-demitasse. The size 1 is perfect for the afternoon when I just want a pick-me-up - and it only takes 2 minutes on the stove because of the small size!

Sometimes I'll try other brands of coffee but I keep returning to Bustelo... I might be biased, but I think it's not inferior to any of the Nespresso blends I've ever tried. I know some of you might be rolling your eyes at this statement but hey, I like what I like

Here's my 1-cup espresso maker. Don't be fooled by the wide angle pic, this thing is tiny...

11-15-2019, 10:22 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could move to Denver. Water boils at 203F so it's automatic!
11-15-2019, 10:28 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pete's Coffee, Major Dickinson Blend is my jam, but I don't love paying for it.