Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just in time for the Holidays - what not to try to get by TSA ( food related )

QuoteQuote:
The holiday foods you can and can’t bring in a carry-on, according to TSA
What holiday leftovers are allowed through airport security?By Natalie B. Compton November 18 at 12:46 PM

If you’re one of the millions of people traveling this season for the sake of eating — and seeing family, allegedly — you could be getting on a plane soon with Tupperware in tow. Maybe you’re carrying ingredients for the big meal, or maybe you’re ferrying priceless leftovers home. Whatever the case, you would probably like to keep the food you packed and not have it tossed at airport security checkpoints.

To prevent you from having to throw away your grandmother’s famous gravy before boarding, the Transportation Security Administration has built a robust website that allows you to search by specific terms. You can also tweet your carry-on questions to @askTSA to get a direct response from a representative. But to cover the basics, we talked to TSA’s press secretary, Jenny L. Burke, about the do’s and don’ts of packing your food for the plane.

“The general rule that we tend to tell people is that if you can spray it, spread it, pump it or pour it, it should go in your checked bag,” Burke says.
. . .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/tips/holiday-foods-you-can-cant-bring-...according-tsa/

11-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Sec. Burke has a way with words. That general rule is memorable!
11-18-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

This is humorous. I do miss the days we could carry knives and liquids on air planes. Those days are gone forever.
11-26-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, you can often still carry knives on planes. I have several friends that have accidentally taken their EDC knives through security and not realized until after they got off their plane at the destination. Also several keychain style knives have gotten through security by a few friends.

So, while you're not suppose to, and if they notice, they'll most likely make you get rid of it, you can still apparently often travel with a knife by accident. lol

11-26-2019, 01:32 PM   #5

As long as we're talking about not-food-related, I have seen photos of Brompton folding bicycles being stowed in overhead bins. I suspect this is also an oversight, i.e. not actually allowed by policy.
12-06-2019, 04:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had to leave several Swiss army knives at the check-in. Sometimes they told me they would send me my knife, but I never received one.And I never remember to leave my knife at home before leaving.
12-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I tried to take an emotional support stripper on a flight with me once but her dancing pole wouldn't fit in the overhead bin.

12-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
I tried to take an emotional support stripper on a flight with me once but her dancing pole wouldn't fit in the overhead bin.
was that a problem with the TSA

or the airline

did you try to gate check it ?
12-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #9
PDL
Pentaxian

I had to donate my 15 year old Leatherman mini to the TSA in Alaska early last summer. The Gerber I bought to replace it, just my have to be in my pocket the next time I travel by air. (Hint: I don't really like it but I can't really justify having more than one small knife/tool with me)

It is nice to know that you can still carry your fruitcake onto an airplane. (No, I don't mean the person seated next to you )
12-13-2019, 05:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
Actually, you can often still carry knives on planes. I have several friends that have accidentally taken their EDC knives through security and not realized until after they got off their plane at the destination. Also several keychain style knives have gotten through security by a few friends.
Done that before

Through security they were looking at my bag through the xray, and you just see these weird pipes and things. They ask what's in there, and I tell them that it's my bagpipes. At destination, I remembered that the knife I keep in my pipe case never left the case. Went through security and all unnoticed.