Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2008, 12:49 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
List Your Worst Flea-Bay Purchases Here

I buy a lot of camera related stuff off of ebay, I'm sure many others here do too. I've gotten the occassional good deal, but I've also gotten a lot of stinkers. Sometimes, the items that come are so far from what you'd expect that it's almost laughable. (Almost, if real money wasn't involved). I'm going to share the one I got today and hopefully some other people will take time to share theirs. We can all have a laugh

A couple weeks ago, I win a 1 cent bid (that's right 1 cent + $5.99 shipping) for what was listed as three Brand New 49mm polarizing filters in box (the picture just shows a stack of 3 boxes). You'd think, winning it for 1 cent or $6 total, how could one lose? Well, I'll tell you how:

When I got the items, not a single one was a polarizer (One box did say polarizer, but someone had taken the glass out and replaced it with a clear filter for some experiment.) The other two were UV filters and the boxes were listed as such. 2nd, all the filters were used. 3rd, one of the filters wasn't even a 49mm, it was a 48mm. ~sigh~

It's funny, sometimes even a ridiculously good deal can still end up biting you in the butt.

10-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I guess all my deals have been as described so far. Just leave negative feedback and say not as described
10-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I've been lucky so far with my few purchases on eBay, I always got what I expected, and dealt with honest dealers.

If I ever got something like what you've had, I would give a LOT trouble to the seller, I think. It can hardly be a good faith mistake if the boxes don't even say polarizer...
10-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Youngster Quote
I buy a lot of camera related stuff off of ebay, I'm sure many others here do too. I've gotten the occassional good deal, but I've also gotten a lot of stinkers. Sometimes, the items that come are so far from what you'd expect that it's almost laughable. (Almost, if real money wasn't involved). I'm going to share the one I got today and hopefully some other people will take time to share theirs. We can all have a laugh

A couple weeks ago, I win a 1 cent bid (that's right 1 cent + $5.99 shipping) for what was listed as three Brand New 49mm polarizing filters in box (the picture just shows a stack of 3 boxes). You'd think, winning it for 1 cent or $6 total, how could one lose? Well, I'll tell you how:

When I got the items, not a single one was a polarizer (One box did say polarizer, but someone had taken the glass out and replaced it with a clear filter for some experiment.) The other two were UV filters and the boxes were listed as such. 2nd, all the filters were used. 3rd, one of the filters wasn't even a 49mm, it was a 48mm. ~sigh~

It's funny, sometimes even a ridiculously good deal can still end up biting you in the butt.
To make matters worse, there was probably somehow the small pox virus found on one of the "filters" and you are trying to find relief in a tub of hot water which does little good.

Your experience is a funny one though.

10-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
Ed in GA

Are you sure that the 48mm one wasn't a "Petri Dish'?

Did it feel "Damp" when you opened it?

My worst one was a 50mm f/1.4 M lens that was advertised in Mint Condition.

It had so much fungus in it that you could not see through it.

I left negative feedback. The seller claimed that I was trying to scam him.

I now no longer, for the most part, buy anything that doesn't have a return option.

I use it as both a paperweight and $65 lesson.
10-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #6

Burned by a bubble

I got a hotshoe spirit level (the cube type) from a big eBay merchant in Hong Kong for about £3. Good deal, I thought. Until it arrived.
The base of it was so badly moulded that it didn't even fit in a hotshoe, and when it did, it sure as anything didn't give a level reading. What a rip-off - completely useless! They may have been stocking up on factory rejects, as my example was a definite case of "You get what you pay for."
See image below. Complete rubbish. Would you pay anything for that?

I complained to this seller, including a similar photo (with the envelope it came in shown with his signature on the customs declaration), so they couldn't easily refute my claim. I asked for most of the money back, and got it back with no problem. I should have really asked for it all back, but the seller was very polite, and I don't think they made a penny in the end once postage is considered.

And if anyone asks, no. I won't name names.
But I will say be careful, and stand up for your rights.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
10-20-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Spongefingers Quote
I got a hotshoe spirit level (the cube type) from a big eBay merchant in Hong Kong for about £3. Good deal, I thought. Until it arrived.
The base of it was so badly moulded that it didn't even fit in a hotshoe, and when it did, it sure as anything didn't give a level reading. What a rip-off - completely useless! They may have been stocking up on factory rejects, as my example was a definite case of "You get what you pay for."
See image below. Complete rubbish. Would you pay anything for that?

I complained to this seller, including a similar photo (with the envelope it came in shown with his signature on the customs declaration), so they couldn't easily refute my claim. I asked for most of the money back, and got it back with no problem. I should have really asked for it all back, but the seller was very polite, and I don't think they made a penny in the end once postage is considered.

And if anyone asks, no. I won't name names.
But I will say be careful, and stand up for your rights.
That's a beaut! Crooked as a dogs hind leg!

10-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I bought a lens shade for a Mamiya 645 80/1.9 lens... and it dosen't fit.. seems there's two versions!

Also bought a 'mint' film back for same camera and it did look nice except for the obvious repair where it was glued back together!
10-20-2008, 10:06 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I can't remember if it was the Xbox 360 or Nintendo Wii gaming consoles that were part of this little eBay...well, I guess it is a scam, but it really wasn't. More a case of buyer beware.

As soon as the 360/Wii, was released, ads reading "NEW NINTENDO WII box", for bargain prices like $10. People who were anxious and excited for the consoles did what everyone's done at least once...bid on it without thoroughly reading the terms and the ad.

Thought it was an NIB console, for a bargain price.

Yet the ads didn't really lie. They were "new Nintendo Wii boxes". Just the boxes. Which people bid up to big money. And paid for. And indeed, the winners did receive their Nintendo Wii/Xbox 360...boxes. Mint condition cardboard.

It's a good little fable. And the moral is "caveat emptor."
10-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #10

A few weeks ago I bought a K1000 off the bay that stated, "shutter doesn't fire and film advance doesn't work". I figured it might be an easy fix since I had read about this problem before. Of course they didn't mention that the camera had been dropped in a lake and left in the sun to dry. The only good part on the camera was the focusing screen which I needed for another K1000, but still haven't gotten around to the switch.... I've been spending too much time here

Oh... I only paid 5 bucks for the camera, and 8 something for shipping... It was a decent gamble...
10-21-2008, 12:31 AM   #11
Banned

Ive never been burned by an ebay seller, but I also am very diligent in searching as well as very cautious. ebay is no different than anything else in life.... if you don't pay attention to what you are doing you get burned in the end.
10-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is #2000

I bought a VCR for a terrific price. The tracking system cycled continuously. I got a store credit for the purchase price after serious complaining, but the shipping was more than the credit. They are on my black list for sure. I am also quite a bit more careful than I was.

BTW, if I have calculated correctly, this is my 2,000 th post. I've got to get out with the camera more!
10-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #13
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I bought a VCR for a terrific price. The tracking system cycled continuously. I got a store credit for the purchase price after serious complaining, but the shipping was more than the credit. They are on my black list for sure. I am also quite a bit more careful than I was.

BTW, if I have calculated correctly, this is my 2,000 th post. I've got to get out with the camera more!
Happy 2000th Albert, and many more sir.
10-22-2008, 04:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I had a couple of bad deals.

The first was for a tamron 28-200 (62 mm filter version). Got it for fairly cheap. I get the box, open it up, and I'm greeted with a big spiderweb fungus splotch in the center of the front element. I go to the listing and the fungus wasn't in the pictures or the description. I email the guy back, and he accepted the return. Got my money back.

The other one was worse. I got a Chinon CP-5, and it worked... for all of three shutter actuations. Sent it back and had to fight to get my money back...

This is why I prefer the local market place (both here and in Ottawa) to buy my photographic gear.
10-22-2008, 04:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

If it too good to be true - then it's too good to be True ....

Several years ago, back in the day when a well configured Dell Laptop cost $3 - $4k
One on Ebay - new - $1k !
Did my research - seller had about 50 ratings with only 1 neutral and had sold Laptops before (I could have done more)
Very good with Email communciation
Was listed as Canadian - lived in Alberta - about 5 hours from where I live
We almost arranged a face to face for a handoff - decided not to at the last minute(was winter and the weather was not very good)
I was greedy - I always felt a little cautious yet - more greedy than cautious
Sent the $1k - last I ever heard from the Seller

I eventaully did get my money back from Visa as Pay Pal was dragging their heels on the refund. Lesson learned - and I actaully knew that lesson before hand - but I really really wanted that particular laptop and in the end I got a different one anyhow - that expereince kept me off Ebay for years ... I think just last week was my first purchase since - maybe 4 , 5 years later and I am still gun shy on big purchases ... (> few hundred $$)