Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2019, 04:05 AM   #1
Pentaxian

How would you like to be immortalised?

Just a random thought, put it out there and see who responds, but how would you like to be immortalised?

Now by that I mean what would you like to have named after you? I'm not talking trade names here, but there have been a number of people who have invented things that have been named after them, like Mr Davy and his lamp or Miss Shilling and her orifice. Or it could be a law such as Boyle* or Cole**.

I don't fancy having a ship or plane or bridge named after me, after while it will get old and tired and eventually scrapped so it's not going to last, so I fancy a principle, something that will be passed down to my work colleagues to use in times of need, something that will guide them, perhaps be quoted in an exam by a budding young thing that has a bright future in front of them.

Of course knowing me it will be something telling that is laden with cynicism, bile and distrust for managers but hey, it's the thought that counts....

Over to you

*Boyles law - the pressure of a given mass of an ideal gas is inversely proportional to its volume at a constant temperature.

**Coles law - chopped cabbage, onion and carrot mixed through with mayonaise...

12-03-2019, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
interesting

of course, as one who has practiced law, I'm already in the historical record

court filings, you see, are forever

not to mention reported appellate decisions
12-03-2019, 04:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
interesting

of course, as one who has practiced law, I'm already in the historical record

court filings, you see, are forever

not to mention reported appellate decisions
Yes but have you ever yearned for a law of your very own? One with your name on it that would live on and spread your name far and wide?
12-03-2019, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good question!.
In the astro photography world two recent names would be Bahtinov (Mask) and Bortle (scale).
Science names new units after the discover like Watt, Volt, etc so it is fitting that these names stick.

If you really want to be immortalized, have your name engraved on the next Voyager type probe. That way it should survive this solar system, which is going to be some time!.

12-03-2019, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Yes but have you ever yearned for a law of your very own? One with your name on it that would live on and spread your name far and wide?
not really

" oh lord it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way "

I'm not named in it but I think that song is about me

12-03-2019, 05:23 AM - 5 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Well, they already named Dartmoor after me. . .

And as a wise man once said: "I don't want to achieve immortality through my works. I want to achieve immortality by not dying."
12-03-2019, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #7

I'll be forgotten. And it won't take long.
12-03-2019, 07:02 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Doing amateur astronomy and discovering an asteroid from outside our solar system seems to be a good option (e.g. Borisov, Oumuamua).

12-03-2019, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not a very sentimental chap, nor have I ever felt particularly comfortable receiving praise, recognition or thanks beyond common courtesy and/or fair payment, where relevant. As such, I wouldn't want to be immortalised... I'd rather slip away quietly and uneventfully, and be quickly forgotten, so that folks can just crack on with the business of enjoying their lives. In the unlikely event that someone insists on immortalising me in some way, I leave it entirely up to them. But I'd like to think it would be irreverent and humorous; something that might raise a laugh amongst those who are still around to appreciate it
12-03-2019, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #10
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess my name will stay around on a couple of publications that will become less relevant as time passes. I will linger on as a digital record, of course, except that no one will have a reason to look for me (as opposed to any information that might attach to my name). But that will only be as long as the internet exists and as long as anyone is interested in the things I have touched upon - which certainly won't be forever. I don't need to be immortalised but I would like to think that I made some difference, however slight, to make the world a better place.
12-03-2019, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I don't need to be immortalised but I would like to think that I made some difference, however slight, to make the world a better place.
Very nicely put. I concur wholeheartedly...
12-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #12
The one and only
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not looking to leave a mark in history. I'm content if I enjoy my life.
12-03-2019, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm not a very sentimental chap, nor have I ever felt particularly comfortable receiving praise, recognition or thanks beyond common courtesy and/or fair payment, where relevant. As such, I wouldn't want to be immortalised... I'd rather slip away quietly and uneventfully, and be quickly forgotten, so that folks can just crack on with the business of enjoying their lives. In the unlikely event that someone insists on immortalising me in some way, I leave it entirely up to them. But I'd like to think it would be irreverent and humorous; something that might raise a laugh amongst those who are still around to appreciate it

Great minds and all that!! This is me to a tee - I'd like to just blend into the background after I slip off the twig.
12-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I'd like to just blend into the background after I slip off the twig.
I do a pretty decent job of that already It wasn't always so, but these days I enjoy a quiet and largely private life. I enjoy seeing family and friends, of course - I'm not a recluse - but aside from that I'm mostly in the background, or nowhere to be seen. I like it that way...
12-03-2019, 02:38 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

There is, of course, my contribution to health concerns : the Government exercise regime.

'Jump to conclusions - duck responsibility'