Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2019, 03:00 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Living where I do, I'm in the luck position that I can take photos of wild giraffe, zebra, impala and various other wild antelope, within a half an hour drive of home. Unfortunately I'm also very aware of how wild habitat is shrinking, here and all over the world. Add to that man's greed, and you have a situation like our rhinos, where no amount of protection seems to be enough to stop the slaughter.
This is where zoos are most valuable, because they are genetic bank vaults, spread all over the planet. Of course there are unscrupulous zoos, where animals are kept in terrible conditions, but the majority of zoos are well managed. Research, conservation and captive breeding will keep species of animals going, even while their natural habitat is destroyed.

Now for my take on zoo photography... Yes, zoos are a perfect place to practice all your photo techniques, and capturing the beauty of wild animals close up. But zoo pics are not wildlife photography.
For me it's about the luck of spotting an animal, well camouflaged in their natural habitat. Then it's the gamble of getting your settings and focus right, to capture the natural behavior before the animal disappears. And lastly it's the total unpredictability of what you will see, and whether you will get the perfect shot you want. All of this will keep me going out again and again, even after days when all you see is a lizard .

12-28-2019, 03:46 AM - 4 Likes   #32
Veteran Member

Let me ponder this a bit.....

12-28-2019, 04:01 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Let me ponder this a bit.....
I think you need to trim those nails a little.... A great shot, was it taken in a zoo or some other context?
12-28-2019, 04:06 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I think you need to trim those nails a little.... A great shot, was it taken in a zoo or some other context?
Thanks.... zoo... sorta opened my eyes to interesting things to photograph in zoos that doesn't say zoo.

12-28-2019, 04:29 AM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
great response thank you

QuoteOriginally posted by Robin Quote
. . . Now for my take on zoo photography... Yes, zoos are a perfect place to practice all your photo techniques, and capturing the beauty of wild animals close up. But zoo pics are not wildlife photography.

For me it's about the luck of spotting an animal, well camouflaged in their natural habitat. Then it's the gamble of getting your settings and focus right, to capture the natural behavior before the animal disappears. And lastly it's the total unpredictability of what you will see, and whether you will get the perfect shot you want. All of this will keep me going out again and again, even after days when all you see is a lizard .
yes, zoos are not a true substitute for wildlife photography

but for practicing technique it is an option

and many cannot practice wildlife photography at all
12-29-2019, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
and many cannot practice wildlife photography at all
Yes, I'm well aware that not everyone can get to wilderness areas, and not all countries have the big game that we have here. But for me wildlife photography encompasses everything from squirrels to bumblebees, and most challenging of all birds!
12-29-2019, 03:30 AM   #37
Pentaxian

This was taken in a zoo with a 400mm lens on an a crop frame camera. Getting this shot in the wild? I don't think so...

12-29-2019, 03:04 PM   #38
Veteran Member

looking at some of the wonderful images that have been shot in zoos, I suppose it's like taking your camera to a museum, a scrap yard, or even a forrest. What all three do is put you in the same location as a bunch of objects which give you an opportunity to take interesting images. Now I am not saying that a zoo should be run purely for the pleasure of photographers that want to take wildlife images, but it is probably the only chance most of us will get to see these creatures, just as most of us will only see a lot of trees if we go to a forrest. And before anyone gets snippy about their location and the wildlife around them let me say this, being brought up in a city taught me that all birds were black or grey or brown and came in blackbird, starling and sparrow sizes. It wasn't until I got out of the city I found out that they came in other colours and sizes.
12-29-2019, 03:13 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
This was taken in a zoo with a 400mm lens on an a crop frame camera. Getting this shot in the wild? I don't think so...
never say never

two lionesses in the Selous Game Reserve Tanzania

anything is possible
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
12-29-2019, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I live in St. Louis. Our Zoo was established as part of the 1904 World's Fair and is completely taxpayer and endowment supported. There is no Admission charge - free to all. It is a research and breeding zoo as well as a fine example of modern, benevolent exhibition techniques.

Consequently it is a great place to photograph people.
12-29-2019, 06:29 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I live in St. Louis. Our Zoo was established as part of the 1904 World's Fair .

Consequently it is a great place to photograph people.
Not the best zoo to say that about.
The Tragic Tale of the Pygmy in the Zoo | Science | Smithsonian Magazine
12-29-2019, 07:45 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
what does that have to do with anything?
12-29-2019, 07:51 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
what does that have to do with anything?
People were the original exhibits there at the fair.
12-29-2019, 08:00 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Yes.... no need to go to a zoo to see animals parading as humans these days.... plenty in the urban wilderness.
12-29-2019, 08:03 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stop with the mock outrage drama. The World’s Flair was not the Zoo. it was 1904. Get over it. Everyone else has.

You should be outraged by the attacks on Hasidic Jews in New York, but a couple Navy Cadets making a stupid circle is ten times bigger story.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-29-2019 at 08:10 PM.