Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2019, 08:12 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zoos: your thoughts about them and how useful for photography?

As some may know, I am a volunteer docent ( since 2017 ) at my local zoo - the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center - Home - Topeka Zoo & Conservation Center

and a lot of my posted photos are from that zoo and others that I have visited

1 what are your thoughts about zoos

- good: why

- bad: why

2 are zoos helpful or not

3 what can be obtained by taking photos at zoos

obviously I think zoos are good if they are certified by the AZA - Association of Zoos & Aquariums | AZA.org

I think they are very helpful in conserving species, educating the public, providing good affordable recreation for people

I think zoos offer great opportunity for photography

12-10-2019, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Zoo's are great, where else can I get a headshot of a giraffe?!
12-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #3

I believe zoos fill a necessary niche in our world. They allow people to be exposed ,"live and in color", to animals that most would never get to see outside of a television screen.
As for photography at a zoo, I'm a foreground/background kind of guy, and a fence in the foreground and plaster or plastic rocks in the background kills an image for me.
I understand that there are animals that can't be released into the wild, but it always makes me a little sad that, no matter how "life-like" the enclosure, they are still in cages. There always seems to be a hint of melancholy around the occupants. I could be getting anthropomorphic about it, though.
Maybe, once a month or so, y'all could run the zebras through the leopard enclosure?
I may be wrong in my thinking, but I consider mammals to be, overall, more intelligent than the fishes. It doesn't bother me at all to see a Great White or a large Grouper in an aquarium. I don't fell like they notice a difference.

Kirk B.
12-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always liked going to zoos with my kids--watching the animals, but especially watching the faces of my children. And yes, it's fun to photograph there too. If I were to share such photos publicly, I'd make sure that it was clear from the image (or accompanying caption/description) that the animals were photographed in captivity. I'd hate to feel like I'm passing myself off as having stalked and photographed an animal in its natural habitat when I didn't.

As far as zoos themselves--I hope that they are stocked with animals born in captivity, or those who would likely die anyway if left in the wild. And I trust they're well cared-for. I'd rather see wild animals left alone--but I know that's a complicated issue, and I am not well-versed enough in the issues involved to offer an informed opinion.

12-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm on the fence about zoo's. I hate to see wild animals caged and put on exhibit. I don't condemn or look down upon zoo's, I simply feel their may be a better way.
12-10-2019, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
I'm on the fence about zoo's.
Pun intended?
12-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
great responses

I hope to see more

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
. . . As far as zoos themselves--I hope that they are stocked with animals born in captivity, or those who would likely die anyway if left in the wild. And I trust they're well cared-for. I'd rather see wild animals left alone--but I know that's a complicated issue, and I am not well-versed enough in the issues involved to offer an informed opinion.
as far as I know, animals from the wild are usually not found in Zoos in this country

one exception being animals born in the wild and then orphaned and rescued.

otherwise the animals you find are actually " zoo bred " usually at other zoos and then transferred

one of the reasons I started this thread is that I have learned that surveys show zoos are not well received.

one major reason being the size of the exhibits vs. the range in the wild.

one thing to consider is that if the animal is zoo bred, it is not used to the range found in the wild and since the animals receive food and no need to separate from the predators, perhaps the animals are not " dissatisfied "

if you haven't been to a zoo lately you could be pleasantly surprised as to the modern enclosures compared to those of years ago

thanks to the internet you may find out valuable information about the zoo before you go

as far as care, the animals are valuable and as much effort as possible is made to make their life pleasant and entertaining, proper nutrition provided and medical care as well

all part of the requirements of the AZA certification

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
. . . I simply feel their may be a better way.
I am curious as to your thoughts of " a better way " do you care to offer suggestions ?

QuoteOriginally posted by crazy4oldcars Quote
. . . As for photography at a zoo, I'm a foreground/background kind of guy, and a fence in the foreground and plaster or plastic rocks in the background kills an image for me. . . . Kirk B.

actually that is one of the reasons I like photography at the zoo

dealing with techniques to fight reflections from the glass windows of the enclosures

as well as making items in the foreground and background " disappear " when I take the photo - depth of field techniques

this article might be of some interest

QuoteQuote:
Image Composition Guide: Subject Isolation
Using Selective Focus to Define Subjects
By K David in Articles and Tips on May 5, 2017
In our ongoing series providing tutorials on photographic techniques, this article examines how to use your gear to achieve subject isolation. This article defines what it is, examines why it occurs, and presents creative examples that exhibit subject isolation in use.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/image-composition-subje...#ixzz67jCipLTO

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-10-2019 at 10:59 AM.
12-10-2019, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Well in all seriousness without the local zoo here the only animals my kids would have seen are dogs and cats, birds, and the occasional rabbit. I'm glad they have had the chance to see that elephants don't really fly and aren't afraid of mice. I think exposing people to a greater variety of animals is a good thing. IMHO, It's harder to care about something you can only access online.
12-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
in case anyone is interested

" there is a [ thread ] for that "

zoo photos that is

Zoo Animals - PentaxForums.com
12-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm lucky enough to live in a county that has a zoo rated in the top 10% of accredited zoos. The Rosamond Gifford Zoo at Burnet Park isn't as old as the zoos in Binghamton or Buffalo, opening about 30 years later, but it was modernized in the 1980s. Binghamton, Rochester, and Buffalo still have Victorian era buildings and enclosures (plans exist for modernization but there is no money anymore). The zoos in Watertown and Utica aren't even accredited anymore, but Watertown shifted focus to animals that are either native to New York or were extirpated by the 19th century.

There are also some private zoos in upstate NY. Both have Giraffes with webcams, April the Giraffe became Internet famous...I have never been to either one, one is 15 or 20 minutes from my house, and I probably never will. Small enclosures, fences etc...
12-10-2019, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #11
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Modern zoos are way ahead of what they were in the past. They certainly offer us the chance to get up close (if not quite personal) with animals most of us could never see in the wild. In that way, they must make us more aware of those animals and (hopefully) the environmental challenges they face. There are zoo bred animals today which are extinct in the wild and which hopefully will offer us the chance to re-establish wild populations when circumstances permit. Zoos serve many useful purposes. Offering us subjects to photograph is just one and we should not dismiss it for the wrong reasons.
12-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zoos are great As long as animal welfare is number one for them. It should not be a circus or something like that.
Everyone gets to see animals they would normally not. And with my 300mm you can get photos that look like you travelled across the world to get them
12-10-2019, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I'm in favour of well designed, well maintained, well funded zoos with competent, enthusiastic animal carers and well trained support staff who can provide for most of an animal's needs. Plenty of space in enclosures, representative of the animals typical habitat is important.

I believe that zoos should be a comfortable, pleasant home for animals. I also think that zoos can be an exceptional venue for public education about the animals...their characteristics, their needs...their past, their current status...what the future may hold for them.

I'm fortunate to live in a part of the world...western Canada...where I'm close to a number of different topographical areas. I live on the extreme northern plains of North America...but I'm also a couple of hours driving (northwest) from the boreal forest.... then 90 minutes east takes me to the Canadian Shield and in the extreme northern part of my province (quite a distance) is the tundra...Hudson's Bay ...with Polar Bears, Barren Ground Grizzlies, etc.

It's not a province that has a huge population, considering it's very large area. Over the years, I've gone on a lot of trips throughout my province and one result has been the opportunity to see grey wolves, elk, black bear, moose, bison, pronghorn, a plethora of various members of the weasel family, etc... all sorts of raptors...even a sighting, once of a wolverine...all in the wild.

My wife and I have also been to places like Yellowstone and we've seen a number of people there...who I assume are from large urban areas...far away from any wilderness and at Yellowstone they're able to see...often for the first time... wild animals in their natural habitat. Which is good, although at a large national park...sometimes enthusiasm at seeing a wild animals, maybe for the first time...overtakes good judgment....about how close one should get.

My take on the questions posed by the OP......zoos are good...as long as they're well run...see first few sentences in my post.

They can provide safe, educational opportunities for many people to see first hand...other residents of our planet...to ask questions, appreciate the diverse richness in animal species we have on our planet.

Good question aslyfox...and an important question.
12-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just for fun, I posted one of my favorite zoo animal pics to the thread below:

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
in case anyone is interested
" there is a [ thread ] for that "
zoo photos that is Zoo Animals - PentaxForums.com
Link: Zoo Animals - Page 11 - PentaxForums.com
12-10-2019, 06:01 PM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
. . . Good question aslyfox...and an important question.
thank you

Zoos need support in the US and I would suspect throughout the world

some zoos are lucky, they get corporate sponsorships. others struggle, with little or no corporate support

the AZA certification of zoos is important, not all zoos qualify

About Us | Association of Zoos & Aquariums
QuoteQuote:
AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums meet the highest standards in animal care and welfare and provide a fun, safe, and educational family experience. In addition, they dedicate millions of dollars annually to support scientific research, conservation, and education programs.
anyone can join

Join Today | Association of Zoos and Aquariums Membership

everyone has talked about photographing animals at the zoo

however, there are other opportunities as well

plants and flowers, trees and people visiting are possibilities as well

and vehicles in parking lots as well