Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2019, 01:28 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Artist > Photographer

One guy (Rogier van Bakel) showed that he is ahead of all of us photographers by making a career move from photographer to conceptual artist.

The difference in income figures speaks loudly and clearly.

I congratulate Rogier van Bakel and as the art critic I am, I wrote the following commentary:
"Rogier van Bakel initiates his oeuvre with a conceptual eruption of universal proportions. The experiential space fashioned by his miniatures defies compartmentalisation. It's fractal essence transcends the sublime. Bravo."

12-11-2019, 01:51 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And, to think someone was prepared to pay $120,000 for a banana taped to a wall. There's something very wrong in this world.
12-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
He clearly is not ready for prime time. He needs to set up a machine to shred the foodstuffs at some indeterminate future date.
Actually, I'll one up him. I shall tape a steak to the wall and rig a blow torch to cook it for me at some indeterminate future date.

BravO!
12-11-2019, 08:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
And, to think someone was prepared to pay $120,000 for a banana taped to a wall. There's something very wrong in this world.
I read an article about this piece of art. Apparently someone came along...peeled the art off the wall and ate it. However all was not lost....within 15 minutes the art had been fully restored to it's original condition...another banana was ductaped to the wall...and all was well.

In the past I've always understood that art is in the eye of the beholder. In this case that may well be true, but it may also be the first time art ended up in the stomach of the beholder too.

Edit: The thought just occurred to me, that perhaps the man that ate the art....the banana taped on the wall of the art gallery.....was an art critic.

Last edited by lesmore49; 12-11-2019 at 09:18 AM.
12-11-2019, 08:15 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Well, this photo of a potato sold for over $1 million.

12-11-2019, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
So we should stop taking photos of beautiful birds, flowers and people and just shoot food taped to a wall and we'll all be rich?
12-11-2019, 10:55 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

They didn't pay for a banana taped to a wall. The banana can be replaced as needed. The buyer gets a certificate to prove that the, umm, "artwork" is, umm, "real". So I guess what you pay for is the concept of taping a banana to a wall, and a certificate to tell the world you're easily fooled.

12-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yikes.
12-11-2019, 12:07 PM - 4 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
One guy (Rogier van Bakel) showed that he is ahead of all of us photographers by making a career move from photographer to conceptual artist.

The difference in income figures speaks loudly and clearly.

I congratulate Rogier van Bakel and as the art critic I am, I wrote the following commentary:
"Rogier van Bakel initiates his oeuvre with a conceptual eruption of universal proportions. The experiential space fashioned by his miniatures defies compartmentalisation. It's fractal essence transcends the sublime. Bravo."
We can all relate to bananas, we can all relate to duct tape. It is the intersectionalism of these two, quintessentially at the very margins of human experiences, that propel our imagination into a dangerous, yet fertile new era. Modernism is dead. Post-modernism is dead. Conceptualism is dead. Vive le $120K ducttape-banana! Exit at the gift shop.
12-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sadly, this is not a joke...

OK, it is a joke, but not a funny one.
12-11-2019, 12:38 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

Yikes.
Now, if you hear of any buyers interested in a photo of a turnip, let me know, I could do with an easy million
12-11-2019, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
The thought just occurred to me, that perhaps the man that ate the art....the banana taped on the wall of the art gallery.....was an art critic.
It was a "performance artist".

Either these people are taking the Mickey, are great at publicity stunts, or it's all real.
As with all absurd developments, it is impossible to tell the satire from reality.
12-11-2019, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Now, if you hear of any buyers interested in a photo of a turnip, let me know, I could do with an easy million
That's a good idea.

I was thinking about selling a mirrored version of the potato image. Surely, that's "transformational". With a title like "The Dark Side of the Potato", it should fetch around $2,000,000, I reckon.
12-11-2019, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

But the guy who used a Sharpie to write " Epstein didn't kill himself'" on the wall nearby got arrested! Who is the real villain here?
12-11-2019, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
That's a good idea.

I was thinking about selling a mirrored version of the potato image. Surely, that's "transformational". With a title like "The Dark Side of the Potato", it should fetch around $2,000,000, I reckon.
Sorry, Richard Prince has all ready patented the method.