Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I know we have a few Canadians on here, so maybe you can shed some light on what the hell is wrong with your postal and customs service...

A package arrived today. A package shipped on AUGUST 19TH. Incidentally, it arrives a day after the seller finally gives up on it arriving and refunds the purchase. So now I will refund the refund...

This doesn't bode well for my 30/1.4 that shipped two weeks ago.

I swear, I could get a quilt from Ulam Bator here quicker than from the 51st state...

10-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well now there are horror stories from the 11th Province as well

That package must of got misplaced , lost , unlabelled somewhere - I sent something to Az once paid big bucks for 1 buinsess day - 3 weeks later it arrived (at least I got refunded my 1 day cost).

As Forest Gump says Sh*#& Happens .... least it arrived ..... enjoy !
10-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the other hand, I have had good luck both ways with packages. Here to Chicago, Chicago to here, wherever. I think you just hit bad luck. On the other hand, both postal services have been described to me as raising their prices periodically to cover the increased storage time in transit, so ...
10-22-2008, 05:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well Pinky, there's probably plenty wrong with CPC as there is with the USPS but probably not as much as there is GOOD with either administrations.

Lord thunderin' geesus lad...did you know that once a trailer crosses the border and is parked in a USPS yard, the US authorities take-over? How can you blame one administration over the other. So much could have gone wrong.

Not fair.

10-22-2008, 05:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Can't comment on your specific situation but I routinely send and receive packages to/from the US and they generally arrive within 10 business days. Half of that time is usually in customs. Dave
10-22-2008, 06:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've had no issues in items shipped from Canada, but I did hear horror stories about their postal service. I should note that these stories go back 10 or 12 years, so maybe it was true back then.

The US postal service has had their issues too.
10-22-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

shipping from/to Big Cities for me hasn't been a problem (i live in toronto)
but i've found for me shiping to some of the smaller towns to members of the forum, it's taken 2-3 weeks ... but damn, 2 months?! you're lucky the seller is very cooperative

10-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I find this thread funny.

Pingflood comes in complaingin that he has had a bad experience with stuff shipping from canada to the US, and is rebutted by A Canadian complaing that it must be the USPS's problem because he has had issues shipping from CA to the US.

Face it, you are crossing a border with a package. In all likelyhood, a package playing fast and loose with customs regulations.

Rule #1

Never trust a delivery date promise from a governmental postal system domesticly. Forget all promises when it hits another nation's postal system.

Rule #2

Borders have gotten more bordery over tthe last few years. Canada's import/export regulations haven't gotten looser, and both sides spend more time checking themail for contraband and weapons. It slows things down.

Rule #3

Rule #2 can screw up even fedex and UPS unless you are simply shipping documents.
10-23-2008, 04:59 AM   #9

Just as a point of reference: when I was in my high school years, I went on a student exchange. Before leaving, I made friends with someone else in the same program and we exchanged a number of letters.

Now, I lived in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario; she was in Traverse City, Michigan. You can drive the distance in about three hours. Our letters usually took around ten days to make the trip, and sometimes as long as fourteen.

Now, the time to leave comes. I go to Maebashi, Gunma-ken, Japan, and (IIRC) she goes to Nice, France. Our letters go from spending two weeks or so in transit to arriving in five days, like clockwork, every time.

Just goes to show you where in the world our North American postal systems rank, I guess. =)
10-23-2008, 05:50 AM   #10
Forum Member

Hipe that i will not be caught in the same spiral. I brought a flash from a fellow forum user here, 2 weeks ago. I hope it did not get lost in the process.

I ever wonder why ordering LEDs from Hong Kong (which is halfway across the globe from my location) is faster than ordering something located in California. Oh well...
10-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know how things got shipped, and how cheap the sendeer was, but I had to send a package of 15 DVD data disks to france, last month and used Canada Post's express courier (actually Purlator)

Sent packages friday evening, arrived in France the next wednesday morning.

Although the cost was ~$60, I thought 2 1/2 buisness days was pretty damm good.

you get , obviously what you pay for.
10-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I've done a fair number of shipping from Ebay sales. Ground shipping overseas takes FOREVER, however I've been able to send to China and have it arrive in 3 days from Canada.

Always takes about 2-3 weeks to send to/from the States.

c[_]
10-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Any delays I've ever experienced have been due to Customs not the postal system itself.
10-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I have gotten things from Canada to Florida and the average time is about 8-11 days which isn't bad considering. I know that any international shipment can get held up by customs.