Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #811
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I do find that Jamesons is a bit fiery going down but by golly it does you good.
It's that fire going down that leads to the every-so-warm feeling later. Nectar of the gods!

11-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #812
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I wouldn't say no to a Bushmills or Jamesons.
Funny, I am savoring some Black Bush as we speak. Mmmmmm.....
11-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #813
graphicgr8s

I can't believe this thread is still alive.Blue I thought you were gone also. Better yet I can't believe I am posting this.
Osamarama won for 2 reasons and 2 reasons only. Reason 1 They energized the black voter. ACtually they got black folks to vote.
Reason 2. For the honky vote it was a vote against another Bush presidency. McCain wouldn't have been but he wasn't able to distance himself enough.

Hussein got elected not because of his policy (or lack thereof) but because he was black and because he wasn't Bush.

The Republican party must get back to the way it use to be or it won't be at all.
And this is my last post on this thread. (Unless I get Democrat and deny I ever said that)

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 11-09-2008 at 09:36 PM.
11-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #814
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks like we've found some common ground.

Graphic48, I was gone but was attempting to answer some questions about the Constitution. I need to unsubscribe otherwise it sort of like a political version of LBA.

Edit: Unsubscribed.

Last edited by Blue; 11-08-2008 at 06:57 PM.
11-08-2008, 06:56 PM   #815
graphicgr8s

But isn't it. My last post. (till the next one)
11-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #816
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Obama Positions Himself to Quickly Reverse Bush Actions on Environmental, Social Issues

By Ceci Connolly and R. Jeffrey Smith
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, November 9, 2008

Transition advisers to President-elect Barack Obama have compiled a list of about 200 Bush administration actions and executive orders that could be swiftly undone to reverse the president on climate change, stem cell research, reproductive rights and other issues, according to congressional Democrats, campaign aides and experts working with the transition team.

A team of four dozen advisers, working for months in virtual solitude, set out to identify regulatory and policy changes Obama could implement soon after his inauguration. The team is now consulting with liberal advocacy groups, Capitol Hill staffers and potential agency chiefs to prioritize those they regard as the most onerous or ideologically offensive, said a top transition official who was not permitted to speak on the record about the inner workings of the transition.
Link.

SWEET.

(pardon my enthusiasm. Carry on with somber rumblings of 'hell in a handbasket!', I just react strongly to.... hope. )

11-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #817
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Link.

SWEET.

(pardon my enthusiasm. Carry on with somber rumblings of 'hell in a handbasket!', I just react strongly to.... hope. )

All I can say is WAY TOO MUCH power is entrusted to Washington. Now that even social issues are mandated from the feds, we are stuck in a loop of pass that, nix that, up with that, down with that, depending on who is in power at any given election cycle.

Don't celebrate too soon. You may approve of Obama's decisions, but they can just as easily be undone (or redone) by the next president's whim...and that may be another Bush type. And if Obama succeeds in securing even more money, regulation, and policy at the federal level, Bush III will be even worse. Public sentiment changes like the tides. It will happen again one day. Unless you are absolutely 100% positive that there is nobody out there that likes to abuse power.

Better to have limited power at the fed...makes it better for everybody regardless of your political beliefs.

11-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #818
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
The team is now consulting with liberal advocacy groups.....

This along with Rhambo. Glad Obama has decided to govern from the "center" like everyone keeps saying he will. If he is going to be the great uniter, he has to include and listen to all sides in his planning sessions....unless that is not really his goal. I'm giving him a chance, it just appears that as the first few days unfold, he is more gearing up for revenge than uniting. I hope I'm wrong. Time will tell.
11-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #819
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
I can't believe this thread is still alive.Blue I thought you were gone also. Better yet I can't believe I am posting this.
Osamarama won for 2 reasons and 2 reasons only. Reason 1 They energized the black voter. ACtually they got black folks to vote.
Reason 2. For the honky vote it was a vote against another Bush presidency. McCain wouldn't have been be he wasn't able to distance himself enough.

Hussein got elected not because of his policy (or lack thereof) but because he was black and because he wasn't Bush.
According to Pew's data, Obama would have won the popular vote (they canot address the electoral college) even if the same number of African Americans had voted as in 2004, just based on his gains among whites (~2%) and among Hispanics (~13%). He also won among voters on every single issue (economy, Iraq, energy, health care, etc) except "terrorism".

On the substance, McCain ran on lower taxes for the top 5% of taxpayers, a more aggressive foreign policy, and a more traditional energy policy, and lost on all those issues.

QuoteQuote:
The Republican party must get back to the way it use to be or it won't be at all.
And this is my last post on this thread. (Unless I get Democrat and deny I ever said that)
All other things remaining equal, as long as the GOP stands on a) trickle-down economics, and b) aggressive foreign policy (the two basic tenets of Reaganism, together with some lip service to social issues such as abortion and gay rights), it will likely keep losing. Of course, external factors can change that (e.g. Iran acquiring nuclear weapons, etc).
11-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #820
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
This along with Rhambo. Glad Obama has decided to govern from the "center" like everyone keeps saying he will. If he is going to be the great uniter, he has to include and listen to all sides in his planning sessions....unless that is not really his goal. I'm giving him a chance, it just appears that as the first few days unfold, he is more gearing up for revenge than uniting. I hope I'm wrong. Time will tell.
I confess, I knew that 'consulting with liberal...' line would rankle. Consider that this is the Washington Post, who's editorial board leans right, so news like that can tend to be framed in a mildly right-rousing way. I take it to mean that the 'liberal groups' simply had the most current researched list of Bush wrongs - doesn't mean Obama adopts them all down the line.

We do have to wait and see.

Rhambo was picked, IMO, for his taste for battle, not for his ideology - WH Chief of Staff needs to be the baddest of bad cops.

11-08-2008, 08:15 PM   #821
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slomojoe Quote
On the substance, McCain ran on lower taxes for the top 5% of taxpayers...
Wow, you are great at regurgitating Democratic talking points. You must have their playbook open on another tab of your browser.

You know what I think of McCain, but he proposed cutting taxes for EVERYONE who pays them, and several different types of cuts at that. What upset the Dems is that it INCLUDED the top 5%, not that it was somehow exclusively FOR the top 5%.

As I said, McCain allowed himself to be defined by his opponent, who perpetrated the myth that "McCain was going to just give rich buddies in the top 5% a tax cut". I point you to the drinking buddies parable several posts back.

All other things remaining equal, as long as the GOP stands on a) trickle-down economics, and b) aggressive foreign policy (the two basic tenets of Reaganism, together with some lip service to social issues such as abortion and gay rights), it will likely keep losing....
You are definately firmly in the grip of the Democratic Party. Remember to take a breath and think now and then.

Don' write off the conservatives just yet. Just ask the Democrats of 1980 and 1994 who had the exact same mantra as you just put forward..."get over it you stupid conservatives. You can't possibly win. Your fight is over and you will never return. People don't want your stupid ideas anymore". I remember the Carter-ites and the Clinton-ites very well.

It's called arrogance and it's what any leader LOVES to see in his opponent.
11-08-2008, 08:36 PM   #822
Veteran Member

Wow, you are great at regurgitating Democratic talking points. You must have their playbook open on another tab of your browser.

You know what I think of McCain, but he proposed cutting taxes for EVERYONE who pays them, and several different types of cuts at that. What upset the Dems is that it INCLUDED the top 5%, not that it was somehow exclusively FOR the top 5%.
I meant, compared to Obama (hence, "more aggressive" and "more traditional").

QuoteQuote:
You are definately firmly in the grip of the Democratic Party. Remember to take a breath and think now and then.

Don' write off the conservatives just yet. Just ask the Democrats of 1980 and 1994 who had the exact same mantra as you just put forward..."get over it you stupid conservatives. You can't possibly win. Your fight is over and you will never return. People don't want your stupid ideas anymore". I remember the Carter-ites and the Clinton-ites very well.

It's called arrogance and it's what any leader LOVES to see in his opponent.
That's not what I said at all. I think conservatives can still get it together, and I do believe the more "libertarian" (Goldwater-ish, I guess) social and economic philosophy still holds significant appeal, as long as it can shed the influence of religious conservatism (with which it shares close to nothing) and the voodoo economics (that has become a tougher sell with each repeated - real or perceived- failure).
11-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #823
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Reason 2. For the honky vote it was a vote against another Bush presidency. McCain wouldn't have been be he wasn't able to distance himself enough.

Actually, they actually stopped the Rovians from stopping the black voters from voting.
11-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #824
Veteran Member

I meant, compared to Obama (hence, "more aggressive" and "more traditional").

That's not what I said at all. I think conservatives can still get it together, and I do believe the more "libertarian" (Goldwater-ish, I guess) social and economic philosophy still holds significant appeal, as long as it can shed the influence of religious conservatism (with which it shares close to nothing) and the voodoo economics (that has become a tougher sell with each repeated - real or perceived- failure).
The "stupid conservatives get over it" quotes were actual quotes that I heard during those times. To me, you just reflected their sentiments when you say that it's over for the Republicans unless they moderate. I was trying to point out that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I wouldn't put words in your mouth.

BTW, in 1994, myself and many others were the cautious conservatives that pointed out; "OK fellas, we put you in there, now do what you said you were going to do and don't get arrogant or you'll be back on the street. The Dems are not stupid opponents. They will take every opportunity to destroy you.".
11-09-2008, 04:30 AM   #825
Veteran Member

The US Constitution can be amended, but the process, like Germany's, is not meant to be easy. [...]
navcom, thank You very much for your detailed response.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If you had been reading my posts, you would have saw that it has in fact been amended. [...] Do you realize that the current German Constitution is modeled after the Constitution of the U.S.A.?
blue, did you really unsubscribe from this thread...?
I thought the amendments were from a moment in time where most States still had to ratify the constitution. navcom teached me otherwise

Yes, the German Constitution (Grundgesetz) is modeled after the Constitution of the U.S.A., and for an obvious reason... However, it also contains many ideas taking more recent ideals and events into account, incl. the then recent failure of democracy in my country.

Your responses have made it clear to me that the plain criticism of something within / missing from the U.S. Constitution is not "un-constitutional" as such.
Closed Thread