Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2019, 06:19 AM - 3 Likes   #16

Photos: Gallery
My thoughts? First of all I agree 100% with Tim and Mark:

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
My only comment would be that such atrocities should never be forgotten and it astounds me there are still people who are unaware of what happened less than 100 years ago.If such programmes (or the reaction to them) informs just one person of what such extreme doctrines lead to then it will have served its purpose.
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Tim, I agree 100%. I have many Jewish friends, some of German and Polish descent. To them, and to us, it's important that this part of (recent) history is not forgotten.
TV docos have to delve into the the subjects that we are uncomfortable with. It's meant to be thought-provoking.

Material like this will never make for easy viewing.
Painful truths about humanity are unfortunately inescapable. If it's too uncomfortable for you to see, you could just change the channel and mutter to yourself instead of posting a rant on the internet.

If your argument is Bad Timing ("this is my happy time of year, don't try to make me sad") then I would counter by pointing out that seasonal joy and peace are also a time of year when charitable activity increases (donations, volunteering, etc). Remembering those less fortunate is not necessarily just about making yourself feel good, it's an opportunity to try to empathize with people who may be suffering.

12-17-2019, 10:52 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

I dont think there is ever a good time to show footage about the holocaust, its always going to be upsetting to some of us but whats the alternative ? Just try and forget about ? I think we would do the victims of it a terrible injustice if we failed to remember, and more importantly failed to examine the reasons behind it.

For myself I find it deeply upsetting a subject and at an exhibition at the IWM a few years ago I found myself in tears and so distressed I had to leave but thats not a reason not to examine and remind yourself of the terrible inhumanity of the deliberate mass murder of men, women and children or very many ethnicities and cultural roots. True it had an anti semitic overtone but dont forget the other victims or think its uniquely anti jewish. Plenty of christians, catholics, trade unionists, PoWs and almost anyone who spoke out or who were simply witch hunted by malign people found themselves on the wrong side of the wire.

Is it ever a good time to see mans inhumanity to man ? Probably not but its important we never forget and hold our leaders to account.
12-17-2019, 11:07 AM - 5 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Last evening my wife and I were attending to our typical Sunday evening routine of watching 60 Minutes. Now, normally there are some very informative and useful articles presented by the

correspondents. However, last night's offering I felt was very unsettling to say the least. Nearly the entire program was dedicated to that wonderful vacation Mecca known as "Auschwitz".

I was thinking, really?. Less than two weeks away from celebrating what the majority of the world considers to be the most Holiest and important Day of the year, and this is what 60 Minutes

comes up with? Oh please. I mean they really believed that showing a place where over one million innocent men, women and children were murdered was an appropriate subject for this

time of year? This was the best 60 minutes could come up with for displaying their version of. "Peace On Earth, Goodwill Toward Men?" Yeah right. I cannot describe how my heart nearly

jumped out of my chest when I watched these innocent victims being herded like animals into the ovens, gas chambers and eventually into mass graves, I mean such "Joy To The World."

Distasteful,inappropriate and no question, offensive. Get those commercial dollars in here at any cost. Sad, sad, sad.

Happy Holidays.

TT
You are fortunate to have the luxury of being able to feel this way.

Closed Thread