Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2019, 07:35 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What does anyone else think about this?

Last evening my wife and I were attending to our typical Sunday evening routine of watching 60 Minutes. Now, normally there are some very informative and useful articles presented by the

correspondents. However, last night's offering I felt was very unsettling to say the least. Nearly the entire program was dedicated to that wonderful vacation Mecca known as "Auschwitz".

I was thinking, really?. Less than two weeks away from celebrating what the majority of the world considers to be the most Holiest and important Day of the year, and this is what 60 Minutes

comes up with? Oh please. I mean they really believed that showing a place where over one million innocent men, women and children were murdered was an appropriate subject for this

time of year? This was the best 60 minutes could come up with for displaying their version of. "Peace On Earth, Goodwill Toward Men?" Yeah right. I cannot describe how my heart nearly

jumped out of my chest when I watched these innocent victims being herded like animals into the ovens, gas chambers and eventually into mass graves, I mean such "Joy To The World."

Distasteful,inappropriate and no question, offensive. Get those commercial dollars in here at any cost. Sad, sad, sad.

Happy Holidays.

TT

12-16-2019, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I understand where you're coming from. However, I'd say that there is no good time of year to think about what happened there. It's a sickening and frightening thing to see what the human heart is capable of doing. But regardless of how bad it is, we have to remember.
12-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It's all about money - they say, to hell with morality, good taste and tradition. Instead, let's rake in the higher ratings with gore and depravity.
12-16-2019, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I watched it online, and I thought it was about the lost music written by prisoners of Auschwitz, and how it is being discovered again and performed by an Italian composer. He's been researching this for 30 years or so.

12-16-2019, 08:51 PM - 5 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Last evening my wife and I were attending to our typical Sunday evening routine of watching 60 Minutes. Now, normally there are some very informative and useful articles presented by the

correspondents. However, last night's offering I felt was very unsettling to say the least. Nearly the entire program was dedicated to that wonderful vacation Mecca known as "Auschwitz".

I was thinking, really?. Less than two weeks away from celebrating what the majority of the world considers to be the most Holiest and important Day of the year, and this is what 60 Minutes

comes up with? Oh please. I mean they really believed that showing a place where over one million innocent men, women and children were murdered was an appropriate subject for this

time of year? This was the best 60 minutes could come up with for displaying their version of. "Peace On Earth, Goodwill Toward Men?" Yeah right. I cannot describe how my heart nearly

jumped out of my chest when I watched these innocent victims being herded like animals into the ovens, gas chambers and eventually into mass graves, I mean such "Joy To The World."

Distasteful,inappropriate and no question, offensive. Get those commercial dollars in here at any cost. Sad, sad, sad.

Happy Holidays.

TT
Tough one. 27 January marks the 74th anniversary of the liberation of the camp.

What peace? What goodwill? The world is as barbaric today as it was 74 years ago, it's just not as blatantly obvious.
What's offensive is that humans the world over still behave as disgustingly now as they did then.

But I'll stop now lest I get political.

Happy holidays.
12-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
It's all about money - they say, to hell with morality, good taste and tradition. Instead, let's rake in the higher ratings with gore and depravity.

Well stated sir. Thank you for your contribution.

TT

---------- Post added 12-16-19 at 09:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
I watched it online, and I thought it was about the lost music written by prisoners of Auschwitz, and how it is being discovered again and performed by an Italian composer. He's been researching this for 30 years or so.

Absolutely, you are correct. I did not mean to imply that I did not get the gist of the article, but did they really need to display all that horror when they were discussing the lost music and the

Italian composer? I mean really, dramatic impact and effects aside, common decency and being discriminate need to prevail. Thanks for your contribution. I cannot wait until Sunday to tune

in and see how viewers have written in to chastise CBS and not just 60 minutes.

TT

---------- Post added 12-16-19 at 10:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Tough one. 27 January marks the 74th anniversary of the liberation of the camp.

What peace? What goodwill? The world is as barbaric today as it was 74 years ago, it's just not as blatantly obvious.
What's offensive is that humans the world over still behave as disgustingly now as they did then.

But I'll stop now lest I get political.

Happy holidays.

Mark, you make many valid points. However, this isn't based on politics, but on Broadcast Journalism and its lack of good taste and common sense. Imagine the descendants of victims and their emotional state after viewing something like that. Lost music? An Italian Composer? You know what I say, "who cares?" How did that article do anything to enhance the lives of anyone?

CBS let me be the first to congratulate you on being, "HUMBUG NETWORK OF THE YEAR." BAD, BAD BOYS!! SHAME ON ALL OF YOU.

tt

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 12-17-2019 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Masked obscenity
12-17-2019, 12:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

As Mark said it's difficult to express a view without it getting political.My only comment would be that such atrocities should never be forgotten and it astounds me there are still people who are unaware of what happened less than 100 years ago.If such programmes (or the reaction to them) informs just one person of what such extreme doctrines lead to then it will have served its purpose.

Never forget and never let it happen again!

Rant over.

Last edited by timb64; 12-17-2019 at 12:13 AM.
12-17-2019, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Exactly. Quite an incredible story and I enjoyed it.
12-17-2019, 01:42 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
As Mark said it's difficult to express a view without it getting political.My only comment would be that such atrocities should never be forgotten and it astounds me there are still people who are unaware of what happened less than 100 years ago.If such programmes (or the reaction to them) informs just one person of what such extreme doctrines lead to then it will have served its purpose.

Never forget and never let it happen again!

Rant over.
Tim, I agree 100%. I have many Jewish friends, some of German and Polish descent. To them, and to us, it's important that this part of (recent) history is not forgotten.
TV docos have to delve into the the subjects that we are uncomfortable with. It's meant to be thought-provoking.

Material like this will never make for easy viewing.
12-17-2019, 01:45 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Mark, you make many valid points. However, this isn't based on politics, but on Broadcast Journalism and its lack of good taste and common sense. Imagine the descendants of victims and their emotional state after viewing something like that. Lost music? An Italian Composer? You know what I say, WGAF? How did that article do anything to enhance the lives of anyone?

CBS let me be the first to congratulate you on being, "HUMBUG NETWORK OF THE YEAR." BAD, BAD BOYS!! SHAME ON ALL OF YOU.

tt
Tony, I think most of the victims descendants do want the truth told. We should never forget that this happened a scant generation or two ago.
12-17-2019, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Mark Jerling for being a voice of reason. As far as I can see the article is about the lost beauty coming from a place of absolute horror. Let's never allow the facts to get washed with time.

No time is ever the right time to be reminded of the depths of depravity to which we as humans can sink.
12-17-2019, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is important that these stories are collected and told before the memory of them fades.

Christmas can be a beautiful time of year, but it should be a time as well of thinking of those who are in need (in various parts of the world) and giving to them as we are able. Even now there is all too much darkness in the world and people who lack resources to put food on the table, much less a Christmas feast.
12-17-2019, 04:13 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Moderator hat on:

General note not aimed at any particular participant in this thread, and certainly not the post directly above. So far, we're doing OK but, remember this forum steers clear of politics and religion. Please consider your comments before posting.

Moderator hat off.
Carry on.
12-17-2019, 04:36 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The world is as barbaric today as it was 74 years ago, it's just not as blatantly obvious.
Its not?

12-17-2019, 05:31 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I understand where you're coming from, Tony... The holiday season is almost upon us (already here for some), and we don't typically want to watch depressing content at this time of year, given all the ugliness we're subjected to in the media every single day. But with the subject matter you've mentioned, I'm not sure there's ever a right or wrong time to show it, talk about it, discuss it. It's never going to be comfortable viewing. We don't want to be thinking about it every second of every day, but nor should we allow it to become diluted in our consciousness. Furthermore - and most importantly, in my opinion - our younger generations must be properly educated and prepared. As each decade passes, it seems our kids are learning less and less about the wars of the 20th century and their effects, and I find that very troubling. Aside from developing their appreciation for the liberties they enjoy today (which I often feel is lacking), knowing about these wars, the reasons behind them, the impact on human life, and the unthinkable depths to which men will stoop in the pursuit of power, is essential education in matters which are as relevant today as they have always been. If just one young person watched that "60 Minutes" presentation and came away better educated, I'd say that's a good thing...

I'll second Mark's request that we carefully avoid becoming political in this thread (or any other). With a subject like this, it would be all too easy to get into the politics, and we mustn't
Closed Thread