Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #16

Well I am an Australian living in Ecuador and buy things from US on Ebay and pay with paypal. EVERYTHING I have bought so far, including cameras from Russia, gadgets from Hong Kong etc has arrived no problem. Sometimes it gets caught up in customs where it is a pain to get the cameras and I am charge 33% tax. Other times it arrives at my door without tax, hit and miss really.

I only search for products that the seller will ship internationally and I dont ask them to lower the purchase cost. Sometimes the seller politely says they won´t ship here other times they are abrupt and inpolite. Many sellers state they will ship to "North and South America" but for some reason they won´t include Ecuador (I am nearly convinced some sellers think South America just means Florida or Oklahoma etc) i

What I am trying to say is not all international buyers are scam merchants, most are genuine legitimate people and should be treated as such. There seems to be some xenophobia going on in Ebay at times!

I usually build in the customs fee when I calculate the cost, if it arrives at my door then it is a bonus. I have been ripped off by a couple of sellers however, one from the US who knowingly sent a Sony digital with a black screen, Recently arrived two "optically perfect" lenses from the UK that had fungus however (see my recent thread)

10-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Now It Gets Weird

OK, I tried to be clear for the original poster--don't do the "gift thing" or "lowball value thing" in regards to shipping his expensive amp out of the country. Then I pointed out that it is very common, especially for Canadian buyers to request that internet sellers in the U.S. undervalue or report to customs that it is a "gift" valued at under $60.
I'm personally uncomfortable with lying on customs documents...just my thing I guess...Well today I was shipping an LX Remote Battery Cord to a forum member in Northern Europe and the clerk at the Post Office insisted that I list the item as a gift. I told her that neither I nor the buyer was worried about the customs costs as it was an inexpensive item. She looked at me like I was from Mars and said pointedly, "Just mark it as a gift." To which the lady behind me in line who was labeling several items for shipping that she had sold on ebay interjected, "Yeah, just mark it as a gift. That's the way you do this." That was her way of letting me know that she's an expert or something.
Needless to say, it was uncomfortable to have a uniformed official from the U.S. Postoffice not only encourage me to "fudge" but to pretty much insist on it...and with a cheering section too!
So as with much of life, this apparently isn't a black and white issue, but rather some shade of gray...
10-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Followed Ron Boggs and others suggestion of not low balling price. Sent email to person. Haven't heard back yet. I am trying to do a good deed for an ill friend. Don't want to have to cheat to do it. I'm not wired that way.
Selling this amp has convinced me that I wouldn't want to be an internet "ebayer". Plainly said that I wouldn't ship out of US in the ad. Half the inquiries have been if I will ship to Germany, Canada, and many other places. One told me I didn't give any indication of the amps cosmetic condition - even though the ad says 8/10 rating. I hope I can sell the other piece without resorting to internet. I wasn't even doing it on ebay (heard to many horror stories ). Audiogon is supposed to be designed for highend music/equipment lovers.
Thanks everyone for giving good tips on selling to other countries. Much appreciated.
thanks
barondla
10-27-2008, 06:39 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Ron Boggs, I can understand that buyers in other countries often prefer USPS. I have found its because they fill it is more reliable than FedEx or UPS. The latter 2 actually have better tracking capabilities on a package the USPS. Even on domestic shipments, often USPS data isn't scanned until the thing is actually delivered. Another reason is price sometimes USPS is cheaper due to customs etc.

10-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[OT] reply to a troll

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Canada has many scam artists, it is not that safe.
It's certainly not as safe as Europe, but a good deal safer than the gun-totin' god-fearing, greedy, self-obsessed, fascistic and global economy wrecking monster some call the United States of America.

I can back up my assertions but can you?
10-27-2008, 07:58 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
It's certainly not as safe as Europe, but a good deal safer than the gun-totin' god-fearing, greedy, self-obsessed, fascistic and global economy wrecking monster some call the United States of America.

Put down the pitcher of Guiness and back away from the bar.
10-27-2008, 08:06 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote

That seems to be totally unnecessary

10-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of course, all governmental decisions in Ireland are 100% correct and 100% supported by 100% of the Irish population. Just like the U.S. right?
10-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Of course, all governmental decisions in Ireland are 100% correct and 100% supported by 100% of the Irish population. Just like the U.S. right?
That's a non sequitur. Furthermore you totally miss the point. I am not a nationalist of any stripe and have no interest in supporting any governments' decision to fleece their populace. No, not the Irish government either.

I have no problem with citizens of the USA except those who support the inexcusable actions of the USA (ditto other countries). I do not hate people; I hate the state... all states.

Clearer?
10-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #25
Site Supporter

I can see it now. World War III will be started over the failure to spread used Pentax equipment around the world.